Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What football programs truly just need to fold?
What football programs truly just need to fold?
Let's not make this a disrespectful thread.
Let's keep it civil, I'd like to hear opinions about what programs truly should either fold completely or withdraw from district competition.
IMO, there is not a program that should fold and not exist. As long as the kids have a desire to play for their school, let them play.

As for district competition:
Beth Haven
Betsy Layne
Eminence
Evangel Christian
McCreary Central
Muhlenberg North
Pendleton County
Rowan County

All of these teams listed already do not need to participate in distrct competition. I think Rowan is almost to the point where they should rejoin the district. They defeated one of the current district opponents, Greenup County, 36-0 this season. They may have been able to actually contend for a playoff spot this season.

Additonal teams to maybe consider a non-district schedule:
Montgomery County
Bryan Station
Greenup County (maybe? they have a new coach so lets give him a chance)
Perry County Central
Bourbon County
Atherton
Adair County
Magoffin County
Estill County
Muhlenberg South
Nicholas County
Berea
Bath County
Bracken County

Not all these teams need to go to non-distrct schedules but some of them would probably be much better suited there. Some of these teams may have been on hard times for just the last 2 or 3 years but those were the ones that stuck out to me.
I don't think any teams should fold, I think that they should work harder to get better. Even if a team goes 0-10 in the regular season, that is 10 games that the kids will have the opportunity to play a game that they love. Football, esp. in small towns, brings the whole community together on a Friday night and football more than any other sport makes men out of boys.
Truely no team needs to fold some need major changes and some have talent at the school that just won't come out to play. I know abunch of you played football or watch and love it would you take that away from a kid giving his all to be on the feild friday, I wouldn't take that away from no one. Remember new coaches graduate college every year so there is always a chance for the teams
I think they should keep their athletic programs at the schools for the kids sake. They may not win alot of games or win titles, but they have enough determination to go to practice and work their butts off to field a team, so In my eyes they deserve to play no matter what. I think sports builds teamwork, instills a work ethic, gives something for kids to belong to....a Team.

I say as long as their school district can financially keep them going anf their fan support id there to support them, let's keep them around....you never know when the next JR Vanhoose or Tim Couch will show up.....
Thanks for the input.
I agree.I don't think any should close down the program BUT what if there is minimal or no community and administration support???
What then??? Continue to go thru the motions???
If kids are willing to work and participate don't they deserve the support of the school admins???
tomcat68 Wrote:IMO, there is not a program that should fold and not exist. As long as the kids have a desire to play for their school, let them play.

As for district competition:
Beth Haven
Betsy Layne
Eminence
Evangel Christian
McCreary Central
Muhlenberg North
Pendleton County
Rowan County

All of these teams listed already do not need to participate in distrct competition. I think Rowan is almost to the point where they should rejoin the district. They defeated one of the current district opponents, Greenup County, 36-0 this season. They may have been able to actually contend for a playoff spot this season.

Additonal teams to maybe consider a non-district schedule:
Montgomery County
Bryan Station
Greenup County (maybe? they have a new coach so lets give him a chance)
Perry County Central
Bourbon County
Atherton
Adair County
Magoffin County
Estill County
Muhlenberg South
Nicholas County
Berea
Bath County
Bracken County

Not all these teams need to go to non-distrct schedules but some of them would probably be much better suited there. Some of these teams may have been on hard times for just the last 2 or 3 years but those were the ones that stuck out to me.

I remember when some of these teams were pretty darn powerful. what happened to them... was it the big "soccer" boom?? I dont like soccer. although it has provided some good placekickers for some teams.
Yeah I know what you mean Elm Steet. I remember when Greenup, Bourbon, Montgomery, Bryan Station, and Bath County were all very dominant in their areas and class.
Soccer has taken some good athletes off the football fields, especially in pee wee years so those guys never start playing.
High school sports is about much more than winning! Yes, it helps for teams to be competitive year in and out. However, working hard for something and not finding success is a GREAT life lesson. Learning to deal with failure, adversity, disappointment is part of life. So is seeing your failures finally pay off by hard work, discipline, and courage.

Sports is more than wins and losses. It is having the strength to compete when others say you shouldn't.
Sponge Bob Wrote:Sports is more than wins and losses. It is having the strength to compete when others say you shouldn't.
It is indeed!!
BUT, what if there is no support from the administration??
I think you could throw Betsy Layne in that list to play non district opponents.
I agree PHS fan....That teams should not fold...
fox sports Wrote:BUT, what if there is no support from the administration??

You do not need the acceptance of others to justify your works. Should we stop trying to end terrorism even though there is no support from Osama?
No team should fold i agree
i think betsy lane and allen central might just need to fold
I don't think anybody should fold or just give up. However, dropping out of district competition to play opponents on the same level as your team sounds good to me while your trying to establish or rebuild a competitive program. I honestly think a good coaching staff and turn around a program. Getting the kids to work hard and believing in the system is what it takes.
Yep dedication is a big key
TIGER FAN Wrote:i think betsy lane and allen central might just need to fold

I agree that none should fold, some need changes and some need to play more there speed. But how did AC get in there?
I also agree, no team should fold. As long as you have young men willing to wear that uniform they will benifit from it.
Betsy Lane.
i honestly cant believe that folding any schools football program would even be considered, or any extra curricular program for that matter, as long as there are kids willing to put on the uniform and get out there every week and give thier all then let them play. just because a program doesnt win every week dont make them fold up the tents and go home. im sure the sweat and blood betsy lane puts into thier program is the same sweat and blood belfry puts into thiers. thats just my opinion though
Exactly MR. I.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
New teams don't have the chances that most established teams have but they still give it their all and sooner or later the hard work and dedication will pay off.

Tradition has to be established, not bought but bred.
I think as long as kids turn out to play they should field a team and have the opportunity to play for a playoff birth. Look at Cawood this year one win and in the playoffs. When we get older ,like me lol, no one has to know that you won one game but that hey we made the playoffs my jr or senior year. Non-district schedules should only be for new schools learning how and where they need to go. If you took my football career away from me you would take a chapter out of my life that taught me so much. Not only sports but life. It makes you grow up and learn to be a leader and teach us how to be lead. All these things are so important in life for me. I dont think I would be half the person I am now if I hadnt played football. Hmmmm when I get on the scales sometimes I wish I was half the man I am lol.
Why fold
#7 Wrote:Why fold

They should NOT fold...but they should NOT eat up valuable games in other competitive teams' schedules.

THey should ALL (at least those in the original "short list") play as NOT COMPETING for district.

They should then be allowed to play EACH OTHER every week through their season for some kind of "championship" of their "league."

Think of it, these kids STILL get to get the benefits of playing football, but would actually get to experience the WINNING and COMPETITIVENESS of a close, hard-fought game (yes, there are lessons to be learned from LOSING...but those shouldn't be the ONLY lessons one gets...they should also get to experience WINNING WITH GRACIOUSNESS and FIGHTING BACK TO WIN WHEN DOWN and HOW TO HANDLE A TOUGH, HARD-FOUGHT SET-BACK, etc.

And the SCHOOLS THEMSELVES would benefit from this...more competitive games would draw more fans.

The non-football playing students in the school would have more school spirit (instead of being NEGATIVE about how their school always LOSES horribly).

Think about it!
Football24_7 Wrote:They should NOT fold...but they should NOT eat up valuable games in other competitive teams' schedules.

THey should ALL (at least those in the original "short list") play as NOT COMPETING for district.

They should then be allowed to play EACH OTHER every week through their season for some kind of "championship" of their "league."

Think of it, these kids STILL get to get the benefits of playing football, but would actually get to experience the WINNING and COMPETITIVENESS of a close, hard-fought game (yes, there are lessons to be learned from LOSING...but those shouldn't be the ONLY lessons one gets...they should also get to experience WINNING WITH GRACIOUSNESS and FIGHTING BACK TO WIN WHEN DOWN and HOW TO HANDLE A TOUGH, HARD-FOUGHT SET-BACK, etc.

And the SCHOOLS THEMSELVES would benefit from this...more competitive games would draw more fans.

The non-football playing students in the school would have more school spirit (instead of being NEGATIVE about how their school always LOSES horribly).

Think about it!

:thumb: Well said man
To say that any team should fold is just crazy. How would you determine what teams fold? Do you base it on the number of games they win, the number of fans in the stands, the revenue at the gate or concession?
I Dont Think They Should Drop There Teams, The Big Dogs Always Need Cupcakes. Teams That They Play ,they Can Rest Thier Starters.
Besides The Really Good Ballplayers Always Transfer Anyway.
Most Of The Teams That Have Mentiond Are Just Waiting On Basketball Season Anyway. Its Not Anyones Fault The Administration Dont Support Them.