Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes Nationally Ranked
Excellent way for the Bulldogs to cap their State Championship and bring national prominance to the State.

ESPN Rise Fab 50:

22. Holmes (Covington, Ky.) 36-2 PR: 39

The Bulldogs captured their first all-class state championship by outlasting Louisville Central, 67-63, in a double-overtime thriller in the Sweet Sixteen final before 15,632 at Rupp Arena in Lexington. The Bulldogs set a school record for wins (36) while savoring the first crown after three runner-up finishes, most recently in 2008. Ricardo Johnson, the MVP, averaged 13.3 points and eight rebounds in four games. Season complete.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool...ory?id=4011530

Maxpreps Xcellent 25

20. Holmes (Covington,KY) 36-2 Last week: 22

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/article...3-001cc494dda6
Congrats to Holmes!!! Very deserving!!
Congrats Holmes!
Great accomplishment!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
Congrats to Holmes. I was really impressed with this team at Rupp.
Congrats Holmes!
Congrats Holmes. And just think. Most are Juniors and will be returning next year.
Congrats Holmes. Fantastic season.
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
congrats holmes.
Awesome!
Congrats Holmes!!!
Can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier....
congrats Holmes!!!!
Congrats Holmes. They'll be the favorite to repeat only losing one senior this year.
Congrats Holmes!
MVP2 Wrote:Congrats Holmes. They'll be the favorite to repeat only losing one senior this year.

I sure can't wait to watch them next year.
OLDHOSS Wrote:I sure can't wait to watch them next year.

They are a fun and exciting team to watch.
Great job, paid off by a great game.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Congrats Holmes. And just think. Most are Juniors and will be returning next year.

do u know if riccardo johnson will return??
LC_Basketball Wrote:do u know if riccardo johnson will return??

Yes, Johnson returns. Only seniors were Dominique Johnson,Jamel Riley James Rice, and Brandon Housley.
Congratulations Holmes, that is a great accomplishment for a tremendous team. Should return another outstanding team next season. Good luck boys.
I watched this team at Rupp this year and was very impressed! But as a high school basketball fan I was spoiled when I watched Chris Lofton and Dustin Grutza when the Royals won it back in 2003. I havn't seen a high school team since with that caliber.
PinPoint Wrote:I watched this team at Rupp this year and was very impressed! But as a high school basketball fan I was spoiled when I watched Chris Lofton and Dustin Grutza when the Royals won it back in 2003. I havn't seen a high school team since with that caliber.

This year's Holmes team was much better than that Mason Co team. Mason Co had Chris Lofton and that was it.

Holmes had 5 college players this year in their starting 5 and their first two off the bench will play college ball as well. Mason co had no where near that talent:

Ricardo Johnson- High D1
Elijah Pittman- High D1
Jeremiah Johnson- mid major D1
Jamel Riley- Small D1 (recruited by Morehead), big D2
Dom Johnson- D3
Brandon Housely- D2
Kevon Rice- Mid major-high D1 (being looked at by Indiana already as a soph)
BTW, Holmes finished #17 in Maxpreps Xcellent 25 final poll:

17. Holmes (Covington, KY) 36-2. Last Week: 17
The Bulldogs won their first state championship, with three junior starters: 6-6 Elijah Pittman, 6-4 Ricardo Johnson, and 6-3 Jeremiah Johnson. Pittman averaged 14.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, and shot .530 from the field. R. Johnson averaged 11 points, 5.7 rebounds, while J. Johnson averaged 8.5 points and a team high 6.9 rebounds. Senior guard Jamel Riley averaged 10.3 points. "I'm so happy I could be twins," Coach David Henley said after finishing second three times.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/article.asp...1cc494dda6
kywldcat01 Wrote:This year's Holmes team was much better than that Mason Co team. Mason Co had Chris Lofton and that was it.

Holmes had 5 college players this year in their starting 5 and their first two off the bench will play college ball as well. Mason co had no where near that talent:

Ricardo Johnson- High D1
Elijah Pittman- High D1
Jeremiah Johnson- mid major D1
Jamel Riley- Small D1 (recruited by Morehead), big D2
Dom Johnson- D3
Brandon Housely- D2
Kevon Rice- Mid major-high D1 (being looked at by Indiana already as a soph)

The same Kevon that I coached against when he played for the NKY Knicks never appeared to get to the point of being a D1 player. Good luck to the young man over the next two years
Great~!
Stardust Wrote:The same Kevon that I coached against when he played for the NKY Knicks never appeared to get to the point of being a D1 player. Good luck to the young man over the next two years

Kevon has really improved over the past two years. Playing with Ricardo, Eli, and Jeremiah over the summer on the Queen City Prophets team has helped develop his game.

Here is what ESPN.com's Reggie Rankin has to say about him:

Kevon Rice, 6'5, SF, Soph.

March 2009: Rice is a young wing that is silky smooth. This lefty is skilled with an excellent mid range pull up jumper. He is tough to stop going to his left because he can elevate and shoot over smaller defenders. Rice also does a great job at reading penetration and spotting up behind the arc where he can knock down the open three and stretch the defense to its breaking point. He is also a good passer with excellent touch on his passes where he gets teammates the ball while they are in scoring position. Rice needs to get stronger and continue to work on his ball handling and develop scoring moves going to his right but he plays with great confidence and a scorers mentality and has off the charts upside.

January, 2009: Rice has good size and is a good athlete. He is very aggressive and looks to make scoring plays from the wing and by running the floor in transition. This lefty is an excellent slasher especially with his strong hand. He can spilt defenders and elevate over taller opponents in the lane. He does a great job of drawing fouls as well. He is very confident and plays with swagger. Rice does a good job of hitting the offensive glass. He keeps the ball alive with his long arms and is good for a least one tip in. Rice needs to add strength and work on his right hand in addition to extending his shooting range but has terrific upside.

Rice is also given the grade of an 88, which is equivalent to:

[I]87-89: Mid-major plus prospect
Player could contribute for three or four years at a high-major program or have a significant impact as a freshman at a mid-major program.[/I]
http://highschool.rivals.com/viewrankhs.asp?ra_key=597

Ranked #20 By Rivals High 100
Well 22nd is really good congrats :devilflam
Holmes was also ranked #15 according to hoopsusa.com:

http://www.hoopsusa.com/frm_poll.cfm