Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Tournament wins
Over the past 15 years 225 Sweet 16 games have been played. Sixty eight (68) teams have won at least 1 game during this time period. The schools with over 6 wins during the past 15 years are:

Scott County 17 wins
Mason County 13 wins
Ballard 11 wins
Lexington Catholic 11 wins
Warren Central 11 wins
Paintsville 10 wins
Pleasure Ridge Park 10 wins
Holmes 9 wins
South Laurel 7 wins
Eastern 6 wins
Male 6 wins
Paducah Tilghman 6 wins
Wow, I thought Holmes would have been much higher on the list
I thought Lex Cath would be on top of this list. I guess the Toyota plant has helped Scott Co out a lot more than I thought it would with players moving in with their parents for work.
Anybody have a "Most transfer list"??????? Wonder who would top that one???
Stardust Wrote:Wow, I thought Holmes would have been much higher on the list

Me Too.
Stardust Wrote:Wow, I thought Holmes would have been much higher on the list

They should move up this list next year! :Thumbs:
What good basketball program in Kentucky has not had transfers? I think Holmes had 3 this year, the two Johnson brothers and the kid from Newport. If you have a good basketball program kids will want to come play for you. Its been that way forever.
rojas Wrote:What good basketball program in Kentucky has not had transfers? I think Holmes had 3 this year, the two Johnson brothers and the kid from Newport. If you have a good basketball program kids will want to come play for you. Its been that way forever.

Housely was the only transfer Holmes had this past year.

There's a big difference in the transfers Holmes has gotten though compared to others around the state. The Johnson Brothers grew up in Covington and attended Holmes feeder schools until their 8th grade year. They then left for Taft their freshman year and returned back to their HOME school for their sophomore year.

Housely, although he attended Newport, is another kid with deep Covington roots. He didn't attend Newport until I believe his sophomore year.

Holmes doesn't have kids coming in from all different parts of the state like several other programs.
The Johnson brothers did go to high school at Cincinnati Taft last year so therefore they are transfers. It doesn't matter if a kid moves from a high school 1/2 way across the country or a high school 3 miles away, they are still technically transfers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not blasting Holmes or any other school for accepting transfers. The truth is any coach in the state would accept a good transfer if he came knocking on his door. If anything, its a credit to these programs that kids want to play for them.
rojas Wrote:The Johnson brothers did go to high school at Cincinnati Taft last year so therefore they are transfers. It doesn't matter if a kid moves from a high school 1/2 way across the country or a high school 3 miles away, they are still technically transfers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not blasting Holmes or any other school for accepting transfers. The truth is any coach in the state would accept a good transfer if he came knocking on his door. If anything, its a credit to these programs that kids want to play for them.

Actually the Johnson Brothers were at Holmes last year for their sophomore year, and this year for their junior year. They went to Taft their freshman year, the one year they were gone from Holmes.

As far as the second part of your post, I agree 100%.

Every school gets transfers. If you look at the sweet 16 teams this year, half of the field had atleast one transfer:

Hazard- Whitaker
Elliott Co- Knipp Brothers
Mason Co- Barner
Lexcath- Sanford
Shelby Valley- Adams
Holmes- Housely
Christian Co- Hickey

I think I may be leaving off a few as well.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Anybody have a "Most transfer list"??????? Wonder who would top that one???

Hazard High School would probably win that one hands down.
i figured holmes would have had way more than 11
they domniate i tell ya.:Thumbs:
rojas Wrote:Over the past 15 years 225 Sweet 16 games have been played. Sixty eight (68) teams have won at least 1 game during this time period. The schools with over 6 wins during the past 15 years are:

Scott County 17 wins
Mason County 13 wins
Ballard 11 wins
Lexington Catholic 11 wins
Warren Central 11 wins
Paintsville 10 wins
Pleasure Ridge Park 10 wins
Holmes 9 wins
South Laurel 7 wins
Eastern 6 wins
Male 6 wins
Paducah Tilghman 6 wins
Looks like PV has the mountains covered in this area. :biggrin:
Can we cut this down to the last 10 years??? Holmes was good in '90 (State Runner-up) and after that they went downhill until about the 2000's. And Yes, Last years, This years, and next years teams, are the children of that '90 team.
Holmes has been the best program in the state over the past 3 years.

2006/2007- 9th Region Champs, State Semi Finals, 25-10
2007/2008- 9th Region Champs, State Finals Runner Up, 34-3
2008/2009- 9th Region Champs, State Champions, 36-2

Making three straight semi finals appearances and back to back state championship appearances is quite an accomplishment. If Holmes makes it back to the state championship next year, they will be the first team in Kentucky history to make it to three straight championship games in boys basketball.