Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats up at Hazard?
Throughout the whole state tourney at Rupp all I heard was that Holland was leaving for different jobs then Saturday it became Whitaker was leaving for a bunch of different schools as coach. It seemed these two would want to stay together for next year and try for a third trip to Rupp. Is there anything to these rumors or are they wishful thinking.
Have heard that Cory Martin has enrolled at Perry Central today and that money is getting a little tight at Hazard. I have also heard that Josh Whitaker was looking at going to a prep school somewhere to get ready for college ball and that Coach Whitaker will be looking to go somewhere to Coach. Also, Coach Holland was heard to be looking, maybe at Knott, but says they probably couldn't find the funds for him, that is why he wasn't there last year. Budget crunches are killing everyone, it's untelling what will happen and where everyone will end up.
this doesnt sound good for Hazard's future.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Have heard that Cory Martin has enrolled at Perry Central today and that money is getting a little tight at Hazard. I have also heard that Josh Whitaker was looking at going to a prep school somewhere to get ready for college ball and that Coach Whitaker will be looking to go somewhere to Coach. Also, Coach Holland was heard to be looking, maybe at Knott, but says they probably couldn't find the funds for him, that is why he wasn't there last year. Budget crunches are killing everyone, it's untelling what will happen and where everyone will end up.
If Martin goes to PCC, then Perry won't be able to sling mud at Hazard anymore for transfers. I can see Whitaker maybe leaving for another head coaching job. Not sure about Holland. One thing about it, money talks to anyone.
Bluecat Wrote:If Martin goes to PCC, then Perry won't be able to sling mud at Hazard anymore for transfers. I can see Whitaker maybe leaving for another head coaching job. Not sure about Holland. One thing about it, money talks to anyone.

What about Hatcher? Is he staying or going to Pike Cental, that was the rumor anyway.
I'm sure if Martin would of been treated a little better, he wouldn't want to be leaving. No one asked him to leave I'm sure. Maybe his leaving has a lot to do with all the transfers that Hazard has got. Smile
thecavemaster Wrote:What about Hatcher? Is he staying or going to Pike Cental, that was the rumor anyway.
Rumors say he will be at Pike Central very soon
Salimander Wrote:Rumors say he will be at Pike Central very soon
Whitaker may become a Hawk as well......
I heard that also, Whitaker likes Pikeville too! Between him and Hatcher, they could have a great coach either way. I just hope they don't hire Johnny Martin, he needs to stay retired.
If Al wants to leave, we here at Breathitt can find the cash for him.
i know, right? Wrote:this doesnt sound good for Hazard's future.

Hazard will be fine, sure Knott and Perry will be the favorites next year(09/10) but there best players will be seniors (PCC- Amis, Noble, Mullins and Martin) (KCC- Cox, Stamper, Bartrum, Ratliff).

Hazard has one of the best freshmen and 8th grade classes in the region, Hazard won the 54th district freshmen tournament starting 3 8th graders and did not even have one of the best freshmen in region in Zach Blanton who sat out this year due to heart surgery. Both classes made it to semi finals of the 8th grade state tournament last 2 years.

If Whitaker does leave (which I do not think he will) and with loss of Martin and 3 seniors, Hazard will be down a little next year, they probably would start all underclassman except for maybe Allen Fugate. Eric Back and Jon Combs will be juniors, Bj Combs, Blanton, Spencer, and Jordan Frazier will be Soph. Olinger(who will probably start) Austin Johnson and Jarred Combs will be freshmen.

Like I said Pcc and Knott Co. will be the favorites in 2009/2010 but look for Hazard to be one of the favorites along with Buckhorn, Leslie and Letcher in 2010/2011.
I also heard Clemons was transferring to LCC to take over at the point.
CADEREECE Wrote:Hazard will be fine, sure Knott and Perry will be the favorites next year(09/10) but there best players will be seniors (PCC- Amis, Noble, Mullins and Martin) (KCC- Cox, Stamper, Bartrum, Ratliff).

Hazard has one of the best freshmen and 8th grade classes in the region, Hazard won the 54th district freshmen tournament starting 3 8th graders and did not even have one of the best freshmen in region in Zach Blanton who sat out this year due to heart surgery. Both classes made it to semi finals of the 8th grade state tournament last 2 years.

If Whitaker does leave (which I do not think he will) and with loss of Martin and 3 seniors, Hazard will be down a little next year, they probably would start all underclassman except for maybe Allen Fugate. Eric Back and Jon Combs will be juniors, Bj Combs, Blanton, Spencer, and Jordan Frazier will be Soph. Olinger(who will probably start) Austin Johnson and Jarred Combs will be freshmen.

Like I said Pcc and Knott Co. will be the favorites in 2009/2010 but look for Hazard to be one of the favorites along with Buckhorn, Leslie and Letcher in 2010/2011.

Actually, Buckhorn won the freshman tournament. Hazard did not play due to their 8ths graders playing in the State tournament that weekend.

As for what is up at Hazard, I really would not worry. I am sure they will come up with players to fill the voids left by graduation and transfer. They always do.
worker1 Wrote:As for what is up at Hazard, I really would not worry. I am sure they will come up with players to fill the voids left by graduation and transfer. They always do.

I'm sure someone has a cousin to someones mother on their brothers side that has a son that will need to move in with someone for a few months that will take care of the void! C Jones I'm sure will come up with another long lost nephew or something. Never failed them yet! :rockon:
worker1 Wrote:Actually, Buckhorn won the freshman tournament. Hazard did not play due to their 8ths graders playing in the State tournament that weekend.

As for what is up at Hazard, I really would not worry. I am sure they will come up with players to fill the voids left by graduation and transfer. They always do.
You are right they actually won the 54th jv tournament starting 2 8th graders.

Thanks for the correction.
I have heard from a lot of people that Coach Holland will join Knott Co next season. I have been told that Hatcher turned down Pike Central. And also that Coach Whitaker will be moving Josh to a prep school, if he is unable to find a head coaching position. These are just what I have been told, so it may be totally untrue. (But my source is pretty reliable)
JMEWLS Wrote:I have heard from a lot of people that Coach Holland will join Knott Co next season. I have been told that Hatcher turned down Pike Central. And also that Coach Whitaker will be moving Josh to a prep school, if he is unable to find a head coaching position. These are just what I have been told, so it may be totally untrue. (But my source is pretty reliable)

Knott wont pay Al enought money to come there. I'll be very suprised if I see Big Al on the sidelines of Morton Complex. Just dont see it happeing. JMO.
MVP2 Wrote:Knott wont pay Al enought money to come there. I'll be very suprised if I see Big Al on the sidelines of Morton Complex. Just dont see it happeing. JMO.

Knott has more than enough money for the big man. And also he wouldn't be on the sidelines at the Morton Combs Complex, it would be at the new arena. Al isn't even in the top 10 for the job. B.B, Kim, Jerry, Kevin, Harold, and Drum are all ahead of him.
There are rumors everyyear about coaches leaving and most of them never happen. The only ones that know if they are leaving are the coaches, they will tell when it happens. I'm sure Coach Holland is pretty happy at Hazard, back to back rupp trips, why wouldn't he be.
Holland will remain at Hazard next year. He is in a good situation there.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:I'm sure someone has a cousin to someones mother on their brothers side that has a son that will need to move in with someone for a few months that will take care of the void! C Jones I'm sure will come up with another long lost nephew or something. Never failed them yet! :rockon:

You nailed it :thumpsup:
I think Knott can come up with the funds. They will lay off a teacher or two, or maybe several lower jobs like cooks and janitors.

And for the person who said why would he leave Hazard, this is my honest opinion, I think Al Holland is the most overrated coach in the state of Kentucky. I know many of you will laugh at that but its just my opinion. He has won off the talent he had his entire career, some of the best teams he ever had, who were expected to make solid state title runs all fell in the first round of the state tourny, and one fell in the region, and when you ask the players what happened most of them say "Coach blew it man". Think about it. What happened at PCC when Holland actually had to show his coaching ability? He lost in the 1st round of the district both years, including a 33 point loss to Buckhorn. (Not taking a shot at the Horn, but it should have been closer). The talent ran dry on Al, and he had to actually coach his players and he lost, so he ran away from the challenge and went to Hazard, when he knew Whitaker was comming and he would have a deep talented roster, and even with these teams he only has 1 state tourny win and it came over an opponent they easily over matched. He lost nothing from last years team, recruited one of Perry Countys top scorers, and still LOST IN THE FIRST ROUND !!! Sure hes getting there, but with this roster if he didnt, the guy doesnt deserve to be called a head coach.
I've heard Whitaker to Rose Hill, but who knows, these are rumors.
JMEWLS Wrote:I think Knott can come up with the funds. They will lay off a teacher or two, or maybe several lower jobs like cooks and janitors.

And for the person who said why would he leave Hazard, this is my honest opinion, I think Al Holland is the most overrated coach in the state of Kentucky. I know many of you will laugh at that but its just my opinion. He has won off the talent he had his entire career, some of the best teams he ever had, who were expected to make solid state title runs all fell in the first round of the state tourny, and one fell in the region, and when you ask the players what happened most of them say "Coach blew it man". Think about it. What happened at PCC when Holland actually had to show his coaching ability? He lost in the 1st round of the district both years, including a 33 point loss to Buckhorn. (Not taking a shot at the Horn, but it should have been closer). The talent ran dry on Al, and he had to actually coach his players and he lost, so he ran away from the challenge and went to Hazard, when he knew Whitaker was comming and he would have a deep talented roster, and even with these teams he only has 1 state tourny win and it came over an opponent they easily over matched. He lost nothing from last years team, recruited one of Perry Countys top scorers, and still LOST IN THE FIRST ROUND !!! Sure hes getting there, but with this roster if he didnt, the guy doesnt deserve to be called a head coach.

:Thumbs:
JMEWLS Wrote:I think Knott can come up with the funds. They will lay off a teacher or two, or maybe several lower jobs like cooks and janitors.

Very good and TRUE post
IMO big Al is not a bad coach. Sure coaches get out coached from time to time but he has won just as much games on his coaching as he has lost games. He won a region title one year with the third best talented team in the region one year. Also, I don't think Knott will pay him 6 digits because that is what he is making right now(I think)if he did go anywhere I hope its Knott because he deserves to be in a good program.
Crazy Horse Wrote:IMO big Al is not a bad coach. Sure coaches get out coached from time to time but he has won just as much games on his coaching as he has lost games. He won a region title one year with the third best talented team in the region one year. Also, I don't think Knott will pay him 6 digits because that is what he is making right now(I think)if he did go anywhere I hope its Knott because he deserves to be in a good program.

Al is recorded at 71,000 a year. But he also gets about 30,000 from private funds for running the new park in Hazard.