Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you really want Universal Health Care?
If so you may want to check out the link below.

http://www.liberty-page.com/issues/healt...ml#britain

Since Obama is set on bringing Universal Health Care to us, check out the excerpts below from the site.

"VANCOUVER—In constant pain and facing a wait of 18 months to two years for hip replacement surgery, Pamela and Cliff Jansen took their health care into their own hands.

[I]The North Vancouver couple, both suffering from osteoarthritis, decided last fall to go to Belgium for their operations, renegotiating their mortgage to pay the $35,000 tab.

Today, the Jansens consider it the best investment they've ever made. Each has full range of motion and flexibility and they resumed recreational ice dancing months ago."

"It's a question Dr. Ken Hughes has heard more often in the past few years. About 9,000 people in B.C. are now waiting for knee and hip replacements and the total is increasing by 10 per cent annually. But there's funding for just 6,000, meaning an 18-month wait.

Those figures will get worse unless funding is increased or patients are allowed to participate in what Hughes, president of the B.C. Orthopedic Association, calls "queue-sharing."

"Susan Warner swallows addictive painkillers every day to ease the crippling pain she endures waiting for knee-replacement surgery.

One of her knees gave out in October and the Calgary woman has been waiting for the surgery since. However, Warner, 51, is lost in a lineup for the operation at the Rockyview General Hospital that she says could last 18 months.
"It's inhuman. The quality of my life is horrible and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it," she said Tuesday.
Waiting lists are crippling Canada's health-care system and frustrating patients and doctors alike. The Canadian Medical Association released a 10-point prescription on Tuesday that targets waiting lists for surgery and diagnostic procedures like MRIs and CT scans.
It proposes setting benchmark waiting times for surgery, hiring more health professionals, and expanding options for Canadians to get treatment in other jurisdictions."

"There are about 25,000 Calgarians waiting for surgery or scans at the city's four major hospitals. And the Calgary Health Region estimates waiting times for surgery are growing at an astronomical rate of 12 to 18 per cent every year.
Alberta Health's website says waiting times in Calgary are as follows:
- 62 weeks for a hip replacement at Peter Lougheed Centre;
- 62 weeks for general surgery at Rocky- view General Hospital;
- 30 weeks for MRI scans at Foothills Medical Centre;
- 54 weeks for knee replacement surgery at Rockyview General Hospital;
- 11 weeks for cardiac surgery at Foothills Medical Centre.
For Warner, the wait has come with a heavy price. She says she has become addicted to painkillers that are a daily staple to help her hobble through her workday."

Get in line . . .
Waiting periods for surgical procedures at Calgary hospitals:
Hips, knees, bones, joints and muscles: 20 to 62 weeks
MRI scans: 17 to 31 weeks
General surgery (removal of gall bladder, hernia, lumps, cysts, varicose veins): 23 to 62 weeks
[/I]

Old School Wrote:If so you may want to check out the link below.

http://www.liberty-page.com/issues/healt...ml#britain

Since Obama is set on bringing Universal Health Care to us, check out the excerpts below from the site.

"VANCOUVER—In constant pain and facing a wait of 18 months to two years for hip replacement surgery, Pamela and Cliff Jansen took their health care into their own hands.

[I]The North Vancouver couple, both suffering from osteoarthritis, decided last fall to go to Belgium for their operations, renegotiating their mortgage to pay the $35,000 tab.

Today, the Jansens consider it the best investment they've ever made. Each has full range of motion and flexibility and they resumed recreational ice dancing months ago."

"It's a question Dr. Ken Hughes has heard more often in the past few years. About 9,000 people in B.C. are now waiting for knee and hip replacements and the total is increasing by 10 per cent annually. But there's funding for just 6,000, meaning an 18-month wait.

Those figures will get worse unless funding is increased or patients are allowed to participate in what Hughes, president of the B.C. Orthopedic Association, calls "queue-sharing."

"Susan Warner swallows addictive painkillers every day to ease the crippling pain she endures waiting for knee-replacement surgery.

One of her knees gave out in October and the Calgary woman has been waiting for the surgery since. However, Warner, 51, is lost in a lineup for the operation at the Rockyview General Hospital that she says could last 18 months.
"It's inhuman. The quality of my life is horrible and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it," she said Tuesday.
Waiting lists are crippling Canada's health-care system and frustrating patients and doctors alike. The Canadian Medical Association released a 10-point prescription on Tuesday that targets waiting lists for surgery and diagnostic procedures like MRIs and CT scans.
It proposes setting benchmark waiting times for surgery, hiring more health professionals, and expanding options for Canadians to get treatment in other jurisdictions."

"There are about 25,000 Calgarians waiting for surgery or scans at the city's four major hospitals. And the Calgary Health Region estimates waiting times for surgery are growing at an astronomical rate of 12 to 18 per cent every year.
Alberta Health's website says waiting times in Calgary are as follows:
- 62 weeks for a hip replacement at Peter Lougheed Centre;
- 62 weeks for general surgery at Rocky- view General Hospital;
- 30 weeks for MRI scans at Foothills Medical Centre;
- 54 weeks for knee replacement surgery at Rockyview General Hospital;
- 11 weeks for cardiac surgery at Foothills Medical Centre.
For Warner, the wait has come with a heavy price. She says she has become addicted to painkillers that are a daily staple to help her hobble through her workday."

Get in line . . .
Waiting periods for surgical procedures at Calgary hospitals:
Hips, knees, bones, joints and muscles: 20 to 62 weeks
MRI scans: 17 to 31 weeks
General surgery (removal of gall bladder, hernia, lumps, cysts, varicose veins): 23 to 62 weeks
[/I]

As long as our liberal friends don't have to pay for it, they're for it
Universal health care means all are covered...it doesn't mean a one payer system must exist for all.
No anyone who lives in Canada who came from the States? Ask them what they think of the system because they are not for it.
lawrencefan Wrote:As long as our liberal friends don't have to pay for it, they're for it

Bingo.
Blah blah blah
DevilsWin Wrote:Blah blah blah

How long did it take you to come up with that gem?:biggrin:
Can someone explain to me how liberals get out of paying taxes? How their tax dollars will not help provide universal health care, which does not mean all have to participate? I thought it was the SUPER rich who put money in Swiss banks? Large multinationals who put their "headquarters" in tax havens?
jetpilot Wrote:How long did it take you to come up with that gem?:biggrin:
Not very long at all.:thatsfunn
It doesn't have to be Universal Health Care, but something needs to be done with health insurance companies. I'm sure like most people, my husband and I pay out a lot in insurance premiums. Which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to pay out so much "out of pocket" expenses on top of it. We both have high deductible insurance, which is what our employers offer and even with that, I will be paying for a surgery way past our deductible renewal. It stinks, but what can you do?

Insurance and drug companies are very profitable. People complain about the oil companies price gouging, but what about insurance and drug companies?
warrior3 Wrote:It doesn't have to be Universal Health Care, but something needs to be done with health insurance companies. I'm sure like most people, my husband and I pay out a lot in insurance premiums. Which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to pay out so much "out of pocket" expenses on top of it. We both have high deductible insurance, which is what our employers offer and even with that, I will be paying for a surgery way past our deductible renewal. It stinks, but what can you do?

Insurance and drug companies are very profitable. People complain about the oil companies price gouging, but what about insurance and drug companies?

Insurance companies Profitable? Where did you get your fact's to support that? Insuracne companies are an easy target because that's who we deal witha dn rely on to pay our bills. The next time you go to the doctor, or more telling, the Hospital, look at your itemized Bill.

The average hospital overnight stay is $9,000, or likely three 4 times what you pay for family insurance through your employer annually. Who dictates the hospital charge? It's not the insurance company.

I spent 10+ years working for the largest healthcare provider in the country. It's easy to blame the insurance compaines. It's the healthcare compaines that drove the creation of HMO's due to the insane Dr. and Hospital charges. The insane Dr. & Hospital charges are due to the amount of free-care that is provided that is never reimbursed as well as Malpractice Lawyers. There is no doubt that the insurance compaines have their own faults, but trust me, the ONLY entity to attempt to address the rising cost of healthcare is the Insurance compaines.
Interesting, insurance companies make no profit. How inventive, you should check with Fortune 500 on this.
warrior3 Wrote:Interesting, insurance companies make no profit. How inventive, you should check with Fortune 500 on this.

Not if you are sly about it. Nobody is going to tell you who you can and can't fire. You just have to find a better reason. For instance, anyone with an Obama sticker is probably a slacker anyway.:biggrin:
^^^Oops, wrong thread! Could a mod please delete? Thanks.
jetpilot Wrote:Not if you are sly about it. Nobody is going to tell you who you can and can't fire. You just have to find a better reason. For instance, anyone with an Obama sticker is probably a slacker anyway.:biggrin:
Thats doesn't say much for you then does it?

We out worked you leading into the election and we're just a bunch of slackers.

Slackers who probably, did well in school, played sports, went to college, got a degree, got a job and started a career. If that doesn't sound like a bunch of slackers I don't know what a slacker is.

Non slackers, didn't do well in school, partied all the time, didn't go to college(cause all that lernin is for wussies) and had a job until they got laid off.
DevilsWin Wrote:Thats doesn't say much for you then does it?

We out worked you leading into the election and we're just a bunch of slackers.

Slackers who probably, did well in school, played sports, went to college, got a degree, got a job and started a career. If that doesn't sound like a bunch of slackers I don't know what a slacker is.

Non slackers, didn't do well in school, partied all the time, didn't go to college(cause all that lernin is for wussies) and had a job until they got laid off.

You are 100% right - and you all work for us!
warrior3 Wrote:Interesting, insurance companies make no profit. How inventive, you should check with Fortune 500 on this.

Every business better make a profit, or they are not in business!
I'm completely against Universal Healthcare for a few reasons.
1. It will raise taxes to about 50-60% of our earnings
2. What will happen to insurance companies, their employees, and shareholders?
3. Most countries that have it are inefficient with healthcare, which leads to deaths of elderly due to the premium put on age when deciding the necessity to treat patients.
To truly fix healthcare the government should allow companies to sell insurance out of state. Which would lower prices. Also if they put guidelines on Male-practice suits in would lower insurance costs for doctors and they need to put limits on the amount of profit margin hospitals can put on goods such as medicines and other items. This would allow insurance to be more affordable and would not cause the public to pay more for less coverage. Also, this government has ruined Social Security, as well as democracy as it was intended so what makes you think they can run this. The only way I see them running healthcare is into the ground.
Social Security checks come like clockwork. Ever had to file then refile an insurance claim and when you call they just need to verify that no information has changed? Social Security is not ruined. Some of the people who are supposed to know say it will stay solvent until 2040. Surely by then we will think of something.
Please watch the movie "Sicko". It changed my mind about Universal Health Care.
I don't want universal healthcare.
Can we at least all agree that we all want more affordable healthcare?
DevilsWin Wrote:Can we at least all agree that we all want more affordable healthcare?

You got me on th is one DevilsWin, I AGREE!!!!!:Clap:

What do you think, is insurance cost so high because a lot of people abuse it?
Do some go see the Dr or ER when it truly isn't necessary?
Can we all agree that if everyone had some kind of healthcare, America would be better off?
DevilsWin Wrote:Can we all agree that if everyone had some kind of healthcare, America would be better off?

Hmmm, I remember this same line of questioning from Hillary........
Stardust Wrote:Hmmm, I remember this same line of questioning from Hillary........
Well answer the question Dusty!
Yes, I do, but I continue with the rest of the story. Universal or Single Payer? as in the Government? No. I have however been reading alot of Radical Centrist theory lately. One interesting idea is to make A minimum level of health insurance mandatory as car insurance is. Means tested of course so that those below a certain income level would be paid for, partially or in full (dependent on income) by the US government. Better health insurance can be purchased as better car insurance can.

The idea is that it allows for the continued competition in the health care system and the financial incentives that have driven medical innovations to date. Without these incentives why would anyone do the work? Are there really that many Doctors / Scientist you can think of that are that selfless? Selfishness is human nature. Capitalism uses that to the betterment of the society.

I have not made up my mind on this one just yet but it is very interesting and it seems much more realistic, practical and possible then the single payer model. It is the first idea to date that seemed realistic, fair, and American enough for me to even consider supporting it.

Without socializing America, we could never afford it and once socialized the financial motivation for innovation and invention are gone. However, the idea I mentioned above it really interesting.

Almost every innovation in America can look to Capitalism as it's primary reason for existing. Most people want to improve their financial lives. So they work hard to create things that make America better and stronger because they get paid very well to do it. Wages, royalties, profits or whatever. Sure capitalism has it's problems as well, that is what reasonable governmental regulation is for.
Yes and No
I don't know how to fix it but I know its broken.
DevilsWin Wrote:Can we all agree that if everyone had some kind of healthcare, America would be better off?

Yeah and if we all had a swimming pool and a Cadillac America would be better off too. But who's going to pay for it?