Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolfe Co. 75 Estill Co. 73 Final
final from powell county. wolfe county defeats estill county. Congrats Wolfe and Congrats Estill on a wonderful season and best of luck to you all next year. GO ENGINEERS!!!!

Wolfe County - 52 Freethrows
wow
wow...wolfe must have turned it around
Estill was up by 11 in the 1st half and then fell down by 14 in the 2nd and faught back....so Estill needs to get some credit for fighting back.
Congrats Wolfe
Well they get to play one more game.
this was def not what i expected at all
Estill's season is over; Wolfe plays PCC monday
PCC will very likely knock off Wolfe
Congrats Wolfe. good luck against PCC.
Ridiculous. Wolfe scores more points from the line than they do from the field.
I have been attending basketball games for over 30 years and this is a first for me...Wolfe 54 foul shots Estill 18. I just don't know how this can happen.
cheerforblue Wrote:I have been attending basketball games for over 30 years and this is a first for me...Wolfe 54 foul shots Estill 18. I just don't know how this can happen.

Easy. Tiller stayed in that man to man all night and wolfe got to the basket at will. Wolfe is much quicker than Estill. Estill should have played some zone when it was obvious that Wolfe could blow by them any time they wanted. Terrble coaching, to stay in that man to man all night. A sure recipe for disaster when a team is that much quicker than you are. Cackling is a great ball player. Good luck to him in the future.
cheerforblue Wrote:I have been attending basketball games for over 30 years and this is a first for me...Wolfe 54 foul shots Estill 18. I just don't know how this can happen.

Wolfe was just a little quicker. They took the ball to the basket all night and constantly caught Estill out of position. Estill resorted to reaching and hacking. From my perspective all the fouls called (with maybe a very few exceptions) were legitimate. If these had not been called then that would have clearly been giving an unfair advantage to Estill. JMO
Congrats to Wolfe County!!
54 to 18 no way!!
Yes. Wolfe got in the lane all night long and Estill tried to block every shot and that's what got them beat.
i can see this actually being fair if wolfe just kept driving and frustrating estill, this could happen to any team really
Congrats Wolfe.
Wolfe's smallish guards penetrated and just threw the ball up once they saw that the 12th region refs were going to call fouls every time no matter what. I mean, it really didn't matter if Estill stayed in front of Wolfe's players or not, it they stumbled into the lane and threw it up the whistle blew.

Estill however did not zone, and more importantly did not mimic the Wolves by penetrating and drawing the foul.

Coaching made the difference in this game. At the start of this season Wolfe was a three point shooting machine, scoring often but not winning. The coach changed things up and used the guard oriented trio to penetrate. It worked - and perhaps should earn their coach the 'Coach of the Year' award. JMO
I def didn't see this one coming....
that FT stat is amazing
but PCC won't let that happen next week
should be a great game....
CAN'T WAIT!!!!
gtowntiger Wrote:PCC will very likely knock off Wolfe
The understatement of the year. Perry Central will win by around 30. No contest.
slugger35 Wrote:Easy. Tiller stayed in that man to man all night and wolfe got to the basket at will. Wolfe is much quicker than Estill. Estill should have played some zone when it was obvious that Wolfe could blow by them any time they wanted. Terrble coaching, to stay in that man to man all night. A sure recipe for disaster when a team is that much quicker than you are. Cackling is a great ball player. Good luck to him in the future.
So, let me get this straight - You want to play zone against a team that puts 5 players on the floor that can hit the 3. 54-18 was the story along with Kenton Roberts injury. I think Creech did a great job, but when you score 45 of 75 points from the line - it makes a High school Coach look like Coach K.
ARC Wrote:Wolfe's smallish guards penetrated and just threw the ball up once they saw that the 12th region refs were going to call fouls every time no matter what. I mean, it really didn't matter if Estill stayed in front of Wolfe's players or not, it they stumbled into the lane and threw it up the whistle blew.

Estill however did not zone, and more importantly did not mimic the Wolves by penetrating and drawing the foul.

Coaching made the difference in this game. At the start of this season Wolfe was a three point shooting machine, scoring often but not winning. The coach changed things up and used the guard oriented trio to penetrate. It worked - and perhaps should earn their coach the 'Coach of the Year' award. JMO
I can see the discrepancy if Estill was jacking up 3's but they were going to the basket just like Wolfe was - very lopsided game. Congrats to Wolfe. Wolfe posed Matchup problems, but to spread out in a zone would have given clear seams to the basket.
Congrats to the Engineer seniors on 4 trips to the regional tourney including one trip in the tenth region. It's not very often a group of kids can make the regionals 4 out of 5 years.
congrats WC
Great game plan by wolfe
What kind of game did the Terrill kid have?
Express Wrote:I can see the discrepancy if Estill was jacking up 3's but they were going to the basket just like Wolfe was - very lopsided game. Congrats to Wolfe. Wolfe posed Matchup problems, but to spread out in a zone would have given clear seams to the basket.
Congrats to the Engineer seniors on 4 trips to the regional tourney including one trip in the tenth region. It's not very often a group of kids can make the regionals 4 out of 5 years.

Congrats to the Estill Co seniors. It looked like Cack and Hoover drove to the basket maybe 8 or 10 times in the game- and of those they pulled up for the jumper in the lane pretty often.

On the other hand, Campbell, Hayes and Terril drove all the way to the basket practically every possession - probably 40 or 50 times, using their 'three-guard weave'. No pull up jumpers, all the way or nothing. The refs should not have called a foul on the defense every time, but they did. This became the key to the game.

I would have tried a zone to stop the penetration- thats what a zone is supposed to do. The refs would probably not have called so many fouls for one thing.

One thing about Wolfe, they can hit their free throws.

All speculation. Arm-chair coaching is easy. I really thought Estill was the better of these two teams.
Wolfe Co. 75 Estill Co. 73

Estill Co. 19 12 10 32 73

Wolfe Co. 10 14 25 26 75

14th at Powell Co.
Estill Co. (13-16) -- Cackling 23, Hoover 21, Crowe 2, Wiseman 16, Walling 4, Berryman 1, Singleton 2, Birchfield 4.
Wolfe Co. (12-14) -- Campbell 26, Hayes 18, Terrill 20, Lutes 4, Denniston 3, Hollon 4.
kentuckyconnect.com
Heck of a game plan for the Wolves, run run run and get to the basket and draw fouls. Estill is not deep at all, so they had them right where they wanted them. Both teams deserve credit for making come backs in this one, both were down double digits and managed to come back and make it a great game. Probably a lot more free throws than I would of liked to of seen, but when you go to the basket like Wolfe was that really couldn't be helped when Estill don't step out and take charges and all they want to do is try blocking shots. Not changing the defense was a killer for Estill too. Congrats to Wolfe, good luck on Monday against Perry.
the little team from campton is making some noise...no one gave them a shot at winning district and no one expected them to beat estill but themsleves. it is clear to see that the wolves are playing their best ball at the right time.
those boys are playing with a lot of heart and there is some good coaching coming from the sideline. with this tournament being in powell county and the way the wolves are playing...watch out pcc.
Go Wolves!!