Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just how good is Shelby Valley?!?
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Boy, way to go out on a limb with that prediction!

Then lets it more specific then shall we?
They won't make it past the 1st around against the 10th.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:If Shelby makes it out of the 15th, I personally think they will run into a buzzsaw when they play the winner of the 10th.

I agree. If it is either GRC or Mason, I think they will be tough to beat, but I don't doubt the heart of SV either. For now, I just hope they take it one game at a time and get by Lawrence.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Then lets it more specific then shall we?

Well, that is more like it! They may not get past the 10th (if they make it there), but I'm sure SV will be ready and will give them all they want (plus some).
Mr.Rainman Wrote:Shelby Valley could possibly be the best team come through the 15th region since 2000-2001. They have more heart than anyone i seen this year. They go out 100% every game. These boys really can play. They are a very smart ball club. I think they have the athletics, smarts, potential, and talent to be Sweet 16 State Champs! GO VALLEY! :1:

There were quite a few teams from 2001-2005 that this Valley team wouldn't have beat.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Then lets it more specific then shall we?

SOUNDS REMARKABLY LIKE WHAT WE HEARD BEFORE OUR TRIP TO RICHMOND THIS YEAR.....AND WE KNOW HOW THAT ONE ENDED.:1:
They are a very good team. Not great but very good.
They are a great team in the 15th region. But I think if someone could match them with athletes that can handle their pressure and shoots the ball effectively in the half court then they(SV) will have some fits.
JIMLEE58 Wrote:SOUNDS REMARKABLY LIKE WHAT WE HEARD BEFORE OUR TRIP TO RICHMOND THIS YEAR.....AND WE KNOW HOW THAT ONE ENDED.:1:

The All "A" is NOTHING like the Sweet 16. The teams there would have eaten most of those teams alive.
Certainly one of the top 20 teams in the state..... No doubt about that....

likely Valley is top 10 in the state....

and after Monday will look to make it to the final 16 teams still playing...

GO 15th!!!
I think that SV will make it to Rupp, JMO!! The road after they get there will be tough. If they play Clark Co. or Mason Co., it will be a tough game no doubt, but I think they can win!! If the re-match with Elliott Co. happens in the 2nd round, it will be an awesome game as well and will be a toss-up. I am cheering for SV, but they will be tested early and we will then see how good they are!! Good luck to everyone!! Can't wait till the Sweet 16 gets started!!
IRISH4 Wrote:They are a great team in the 15th region. But I think if someone could match them with athletes that can handle their pressure and shoots the ball effectively in the half court then they(SV) will have some fits.
Cant the same thing be said about any team at any level?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
on any given night an upset can happen..... your basketball life is one game at a time at tourney time...you are only as good from here on out as the final score shows....
Valley is a great team, with great height to dominate the rebounding game.
Although only one player truley stands out to me; which is Justice.
I dont think that Valley has what it takes to become State champs though.
FBALL Wrote:They are a very good team. Not great but very good.

Haha, i bet if this thread was about Elliot you would be saying "Elliot is the greatest team ever to play the game of basketball".
BaseballIsLife Wrote:The All "A" is NOTHING like the Sweet 16. The teams there would have eaten most of those teams alive.

ONE TEAM PER REGION....16 REGIONS.....TOURNAMENT SET OUT OVER A THREE (OR FOUR DAY WITHOUT THE ICE STORM)PERIOD.....NO COMPARISONConfusedhh:
I KNOW THE COMPETITION WILL BE MUCH HIGHER...ALL I WAS STATING IS THAT BEFORE WE WENT THERE, EVERYONE SAID WE DIDN'T STAND A CHANCE,ESPECIALLY AGAINST THIS ONE CERTAIN TEAM. BUT GUESS WHAT.......WE WON IT.:1: :Thumbs:
i think that if they dont win state this year then they may not have another oppertunity because they are losing alot of size this year in Adams and Tackett and i dont believe they will be as good next season. just my opinion.
The Fan Wrote:another Valley thread what are the odds ?
Well i guess when your the best, you get talked about!
are any players rumored to be entering the Valley system for the coming season? I heard some discussion about a transfer student, but not seen anything mentioned on the discussion boards.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Cant the same thing be said about any team at any level?

Well if we were talking about other teams then maybe we could use that assessment, but we aren't. However, I think Valley is only as good as their guard play....so if a team can match them with their guards then they have a great chance of beating Valley. To have the size they do with Adams and Hatfield, they don't dominate the paint like they should. I mean if you are 6'10" and 6'6" or however tall Hatfield is, you should dominate a game around here...and that they don't from what I've seen.
IRISH4 Wrote:Well if we were talking about other teams then maybe we could use that assessment, but we aren't. However, I think Valley is only as good as their guard play....so if a team can match them with their guards then they have a great chance of beating Valley. To have the size they do with Adams and Hatfield, they don't dominate the paint like they should. I mean if you are 6'10" and 6'6" or however tall Hatfield is, you should dominate a game around here...and that they don't from what I've seen.

I agree, those boys should own the boards and the paint.
Well let me finally get my two cents worth in on this years SV team. First things first, they are good REALLY GOOD!!! Without a doubt the best team to come through the 15th in over ten years. Exceptional guard play and enough size to compete on the big stage at rupp in a week or so. Ive been nothing but impressed with this team, they are a real treat for any mountain fan to watch.

Now let me state the other side. SV has been VERY fortunate to compete in a very weak region. In all my years of watching and competing in the 15th region I have never seen it this depleted. This makes SV look a tad bit better than they actually are. They've not been challenged against a region competitor this year and it more than likely wont happen tomorrow night. I sit back and wonder how this team would be able to compete with the past great teams of the 15th and competing wouldnt be a problem. Winning might be though. Virgie(early 80's), Paintsville(mid 80's)(mid 90's), and Belfry(early 90's) would give this team fits. These teams were very very physical and had the size and quickness to demoralize this SV squad.

Now when they get to state their chances are pretty good. Granted they played in the all "A" and won. But they were playing smaller schools that for the most part were actually in class A. The good thing for SV is the state is way down compared to most years and this bodes well for them to make a deep run and possibly bring home the hardware. I for one hope they do, as I do any mountain team.
wooderson Wrote:Well let me finally get my two cents worth in on this years SV team. First things first, they are good REALLY GOOD!!! Without a doubt the best team to come through the 15th in over ten years. Exceptional guard play and enough size to compete on the big stage at rupp in a week or so. Ive been nothing but impressed with this team, they are a real treat for any mountain fan to watch.

Now let me state the other side. SV has been VERY fortunate to compete in a very weak region. In all my years of watching and competing in the 15th region I have never seen it this depleted. This makes SV look a tad bit better than they actually are. They've not been challenged against a region competitor this year and it more than likely wont happen tomorrow night. I sit back and wonder how this team would be able to compete with the past great teams of the 15th and competing wouldnt be a problem. Winning might be though. Virgie(early 80's), Paintsville(mid 80's)(mid 90's), and Belfry(early 90's) would give this team fits. These teams were very very physical and had the size and quickness to demoralize this SV squad.

Now when they get to state their chances are pretty good. Granted they played in the all "A" and won. But they were playing smaller schools that for the most part were actually in class A. The good thing for SV is the state is way down compared to most years and this bodes well for them to make a deep run and possibly bring home the hardware. I for one hope they do, as I do any mountain team.

Best team to come through the 15th in over 10 years?.. This Valley team couldn't beat any of the region championship teams from 99-2003. And you did say IN OVER TEN years, you actually think they could have competed with the 97-98 Paintsville, 98-98 Pikeville, Pike Central, 99-00 Johnson Central, Magoffin, Pikeville, Paintsville and so on. This Valley team would have been lucky to even score 20 points against the Paintsville teams of the mid 90's. You even contradict yourself in saying that the state way down, helpin Valley's chances in making a good run. That's the difference in 2009 and 10 years ago, the state wasn't down then. You are sayin that Shelby Valley's chances at winning state is only because the rest of the sweet sixteen field is way down.
Redneck Wrote:Best team to come through the 15th in over 10 years?.. This Valley team couldn't beat any of the region championship teams from 99-2003. And you did say IN OVER TEN years, you actually think they could have competed with the 97-98 Paintsville, 98-98 Pikeville, Pike Central, 99-00 Johnson Central, Magoffin, Pikeville, Paintsville and so on. This Valley team would have been lucky to even score 20 points against the Paintsville teams of the mid 90's. You even contradict yourself in saying that the state way down, helpin Valley's chances in making a good run. That's the difference in 2009 and 10 years ago, the state wasn't down then. You are sayin that Shelby Valley's chances at winning state is only because the rest of the sweet sixteen field is way down.

To compare teams like this from different eras is too hard to do. No one knows who would win. To say Valley would be lucky to score 20 points against the 90s Paintsville teams is ridiculous though.

I have watched Valley basketball from the time the school started, and in my opinion this is their best team. It would be close with the 00-01 team, but I think this team is better. I do not think the teams in between were better, and the players on those teams don't either. Ask Patrick Tackett or Paul Terry Fleming what they think?

Of course, you are going to tell me how my opinion is wrong, and it may be. I watched your senior year team, and I definitely don't think they could beat this year's Valley team or last year's Valley or Paintsville team.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:To compare teams like this from different eras is too hard to do. No one knows who would win. To say Valley would be lucky to score 20 points against the 90s Paintsville teams is ridiculous though.

I have watched Valley basketball from the time the school started, and in my opinion this is their best team. It would be close with the 00-01 team, but I think this team is better. I do not think the teams in between were better, and the players on those teams don't either. Ask Patrick Tackett or Paul Terry Fleming what they think?

Of course, you are going to tell me how my opinion is wrong, and it may be. I watched your senior year team, and I definitely don't think they could beat this year's Valley team or last year's Valley or Paintsville team.

Who would do all the scoring? The Valley big men would be a complete non factor against VanHoose, Ratliff and McKenzie, they would be lucky to get a shot off or a rebound against those 3. Do you actually think Justice coulda handled the pressure of Todd Tackett and Matt Ratliff. I think some seem to forget some of the teams and players those Paintsville teams played against in Myrtle Beach, Las Vegas, St. Louis etc.
they wont win state....
Redneck Wrote:Who would do all the scoring? The Valley big men would be a complete non factor against VanHoose, Ratliff and McKenzie, they would be lucky to get a shot off or a rebound against those 3. Do you actually think Justice coulda handled the pressure of Todd Tackett and Matt Ratliff. I think some seem to forget some of the teams and players those Paintsville teams played against in Myrtle Beach, Las Vegas, St. Louis etc.

Yes, I honestly do think he could handle the pressure. The state is down, but not enough to where players still can't play defense. Several teams have run two quick guards at him and he has handled himself just fine. It is not just about Elisha though. Those other players could take care of themselves fairly well. I am not saying they could beat Paintsville, but they could definitely score more than 20. Basketball was not that much better 10-12 years ago. To me, Todd Tackett and Matt Ratliff weren't any better than Landon Slone and Elisha did fine against him. Do you think they were better than Landon?
lawrence LC Wrote:they wont win state....

Like I said before, way to go out on a limb! That statement could be said about any team in the state. I bet Lawrence won't win state either.
kybaseball Wrote:Shelby Valley's run will end if and when they meet up with Elliott. I'm sorry if I upset the good members of this board but that is the way it is. Take it to the bank.

If I am wrong as always I will take my crow well done.:biggrin:

HAHA...well now that football predictions didn't work it is only fitting for basketball season as well..... :biggrin:
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Yes, I honestly do think he could handle the pressure. The state is down, but not enough to where players still can't play defense. Several teams have run two quick guards at him and he has handled himself just fine. It is not just about Elisha though. Those other players could take care of themselves fairly well. I am not saying they could beat Paintsville, but they could definitely score more than 20. Basketball was not that much better 10-12 years ago. To me, Todd Tackett and Matt Ratliff weren't any better than Landon Slone and Elisha did fine against him. Do you think they were better than Landon?

Yes, they were much better than Landon. There's not one player on Shelby Valley's team or in the entire state of Kentucky that coulda handled Josh McKenzie and his 6-6 270 pound frame, who was runner-up for Mr.Basketball. A 1996 Paintsville vs. 2009 Shelby Valley would be a massacre. Paintsville would have a dunk contest. The Paintsville big men would make the Valley big men look like elementary players. Justice probably could hold his own against Tackett and Ratliff but what would he do when he got by em? Don't see him gettin very many shots off against VanHoose, C.Ratliff, or McKenzie without it gettin blocked.
those paintsville teams were tough and were lots of fun to watch. Until we see how far Valley gets, its unfair to even attempt to compare squads. That type of success over 3-4 years is such a rarity. Great memories indeed.