Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Heaters
When I got home from class and walked in the door, I thought my house was on fire. It smelled soo bad. When my dad turned the heater on it smelled like a mixture of burnt rubber, and rotted eggs.. Does anyone know what caused this or what to do?
I asked my mom and she said that when you smell rotten eggs that it's one of the warning signs of having a gas leak so you need to call the gas company and get them to come out and take a look at it.
I asked mom what kind of heater we had and she said gas, I dunno what they're going to do.
I'd call the gas company to be on the safe side. Same thing happened to us last winter...the building where the tanning bed is...we called and we ended up having a gas leak.
Certainly a gas leak. It might just be that the pilot light isn't burning correctly or it could be that you have a leak in the line. You certainly should have someone look at it ASAP. I know this from experience.
Well my dad just took the top of the heater off or something and he thinks that something must have passed through the lines. Now the heat is on and the smell is gone, should I still be worried?
If you don't have the smell any longer it could be ok. Just keep a check on it. Do you have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If not you certainly should purchase some. Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless so you can be overcome and not even know it.
The burning smell is usually fuzz burning that got in the vents while it was off.. mine smelled that way when we turned it on.. its fine now
If this is the first time you've used the heat this fall that could also be causing some of the smell. The heater would be burning the dust and anything else that has gathered on it since the last time you used it.
15RC is right about that. The egg smell is gas but doesn't mean you have a leak but it is a possiblity.
Defintally keep a check on it and buy detectors...espically carbon monoxide ones...