Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley vs. University of Kentucky
Are the startling similarities between the logos, flags, cheers, etc. acceptable?

Could/should UK take action against this?

Has action been taken before to alter the mascot/logo?

Do you have a logo for SV?
dang I thought this thread was about SV playing UK or Comparing the 2 or something.
What is this about
In all seriousness, really?
LOL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
ky wildcats Wrote:What is this about

I had heard something before about the University of Kentucky getting Valley to change their mascot logo. This season, I have seen them play on a number of occasions and running out with the flags and most of their cheers are exactly the same as UK. I was just curious if other people noticed this. I have never saw one team ripoff another so much. I know that a lot of cheers are shared, teams across the country all have a lot in common as they are just popular, simply been around forever type cheers. The flags are just really pushing it for me. Is it legal to replicate something that a NCAA team does exactly?

oh I hope i dont see the similarties
Both teams run out with flags, blue with white letters to spell out Wildcats. See any similarities there?

Give me a break.... this post is ridiculous! Seems to me that someones a little jealous!
lol does it really matter? what is it hurting if they are similar or identical?
thetribe Wrote:Both teams run out with flags, blue with white letters to spell out Wildcats. See any similarities there?

I do, I do!!
LOL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
When Virgie and Dorton was combined, they used Virgies team colors, blue and while, along with Dortons mascot, the wildcat. If it was the other way around and the colors were red and white and they had the eagle mascot, I am sure somewhere in the country there is a college that it would be the same as. What is the point of this thread?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
I am seriously just curious, I hadn't noticed just how similar they were until this year. A friend of mine from UK attended some Valley games with me and actually mentioned this without being prompted at all. I have no reason to be jealous, I attended three schools that never copied blatantly obvious stuff from other schools. I just think it's odd to see an in state high school to copy an in state college. I know that some schools with have the same school colors, mascots, or cheers but everything doesn't have to look the same. It doesn't hurt anything. My question was basically is it copyright infringement? Was there a copyright infringement issue before?

I know that the older SV logo was the one that got attention from UK. It was exactly like it. Right down to the perverted tounge. The newer one is like Villinova. I don't think that the would come calling.
I have seen and I am sure other people have, but most schools use similiar logos by college and pro teams. When I watched sport overtime during football season, I would see these similiar logos on teams football helmets. Seems like Corbin uses a similiar "C" like the Reds with the Green Bay type circle around it. They might not use it now, but I know KCC used the New England Patriot logo in the past and I thought it was cool. There was even someone who brought a bulldog to the Hazard football games, does that mean Georgia and UGA VII are going to take action?!! I think it is cool and I am sure the kids love doing things like UK or other college teams do to get there fans fired up, plus it's only flags and there is only one way to spell WILDCATS. I agree this thread is a little silly!!
If other schools were called wildcats, you would probably see a lot more of this. I don't see any thing wrong with it, and even if they were trying to copy everything exactly, what better team to copy than UK.....Go SV!!!!!
The other logo was changed. The tribe your from East Ridge right? I mean have the braves or the seminoles ever sued them over the war chant?

The also had numbers on the helmet like Alabama, Is that a lawsuit?

Pike Central is blue and orange like the Flordia Gators and Hawks used to be writen on there helmets like the gators(might still be).

The logo was changed and the court was even changed to prevent this from happening. Any East Ridge fan knows this they have been chanting COPY CAT many times at us.
I have been out of school for years. I wasn't asking to cause an argument amongst Shelby Valley fans. I know that many schools will have things in common, with other high school or colleges. There is simply not enough color combinations or ways to put names/numbers on things for some not to match up, I just think that Valley imitates everything that UK does. It was an honest question of legality really.

I really have wondered how georgia has the same logo as green bay.. with the G.. and how The bears and the Reds have the same C
mrfootball03 Wrote:I really have wondered how georgia has the same logo as green bay.. with the G.. and how The bears and the Reds have the same C

Same concept. This is exactly what I am talking about. Surely it is copyright infringement. Pepsi couldn't have the same logo as Coke, how can any teams do that? Surely UK could not trademark their flag thing and cheers but that is a judgement call. Any logo is a legal call.

Well what else would you recomend Valley gets on there flags? I think we should get pink and purple ones with flowers one them. I mean many high schools use the flags, many high schools use alot of things like colleges do. I mean you named no other school except for Valley in your first post. SOunds like a direct shot at us.
thetribe Wrote:My question was basically is it copyright infringement? Was there a copyright infringement issue before?
I have not heard anything about UK/SV copyright issues but I did hear that Florida State University and the Atlanta Braves had sent a memo to East Ridge to stop using the "Tomahawk Chop" with the drum beat at their school events charging trademark infringement.

not really.....just kidding
just adding to the silliness of this thread
Notorious Wrote:The tribe your from East Ridge right? I mean have the braves or the seminoles ever sued them over the war chant?

Nice point.
The King Wrote:Nice point.

Dont know about the flag and so forth, but Billy G. might overlook it if he could have Elisha.

Actually if the UK Cats keep playing the way they do, SV might want to sue them for digracing the flag.
Looks more like Villanova's mascot and logo to me, lol.
Quote:I just think that Valley imitates everything that UK does.

Tribe...Valley does one thing UK doesn't do and that would be WIN...
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-11.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-12.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-13.jpg[/IMG][attachment=o1478]
Once again another pathetic attempt to get something over on Valley. But like other people have said i think ER would be closer to breaking laws, FSU and The Braves have done the "Chop", LONG before ER. Wouldnt that break laws????
i dont really see it as that big of a deal, yes they do alot of things like Kentucky but thats the beauty of the spirit, heart and spirit of the Shelby Valley community when it comes to basketball. Could it be some type of infrigment, sure it could be but I dont thing the University of Kentucky really is going to be that upset over the flags. As you said a few years of ago I did hear about UK being upset over the logo and etc. but that is because it is a copyright and I believe it did break infringment laws, however I do not believe the flags do. Now if they did the call to the gates before games then i would be a little upset because that is simply a University of Kentucky tradition through and through.