Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is up with Pikeville Basketball?
I went to the Shelby Valley game last week and saw the coach arguing with players on the court as well as fans in the stands? I just heard that an upperclassmen quit the team over the weekend. I also remember last year a starter walking off the court and quitting the team just before district tournament. Just to clarify I dont have a child on the team and Im not being critical. Im just asking why does the PHS Basketball team have more drama than an episode of Knots Landing?
I would say because everyone is ready, with the new hire, for Pikeville football to return to glory. August is still 6 months away!
Enter The Dragon Wrote:I went to the Shelby Valley game last week and saw the coach arguing with players on the court as well as fans in the stands? I just heard that an upperclassmen quit the team over the weekend. I also remember last year a starter walking off the court and quitting the team just before district tournament. Just to clarify I dont have a child on the team and Im not being critical. Im just asking why does the PHS Basketball team have more drama than an episode of Knots Landing?
I saw the situation you speak of.
I know the player involved and "he is never wrong and always has to have the last word...the player really should learn to respect the authority of the coaches position.

Fans/parents should support the team and knock off yelling at the coaches from the stands six feet behind the bench where the players also hear what is said.
Kids and parents these days are terrible.Bart is a good man and deserves alot better than this.The kid needs to go and the parents needs a life.As far as looking forward to football, you maybe very disappointed.The schedule is weaker so for their record maybe better but in the end NO STATE CHAMPS.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I know the player involved and "he is never wrong and always has to have the last word...the player really should learn to respect the authority of the coaches position.

The best way to get kids to respect authority is to show authority by putting them on the bench...
Enter The Dragon Wrote:I went to the Shelby Valley game last week and saw the coach arguing with players on the court as well as fans in the stands? I just heard that an upperclassmen quit the team over the weekend. I also remember last year a starter walking off the court and quitting the team just before district tournament. Just to clarify I dont have a child on the team and Im not being critical. Im just asking why does the PHS Basketball team have more drama than an episode of Knots Landing?

I was at this game and didn't see anything like this take place. However, it could have. It is a bitter rivalry that has been one-sided this year so I am sure emotions were running high. As for what is up with Pikeville basketball I would have to say everything is "UP". They have 17 wins already and have a great chance to make a deep run in the region. Williams has figured out something at PHS that Copley and the rest of the coaches couldn't do....win with less talent! His teams always improve drastically throughout the year. I am amazed with this years' team. They have lost two of the top 10 players in the region in the past year in Harmon and Adams and they still have managed to pile up wins and stay near the top of the region all year. I think they just might be the 2nd best team in the region right now and I really don't know how because when I saw them play in December I didn't give them a chance to win 10 games. I hope Williams' sticks around but with the offer that my friends from up north on 23 say is on the table I'd say he is as good as gone.
Coaches know their players better than anyone. And you can not treat them the same. Sports teams are also in many ways like family. Ever had a disagreement in your family. We all handle it in different ways. Yes I would agree the coach has done a great job. From what I heard at the first of the year, Pikeville wasn't given much of a chance to win 10 or more games.
If a player quits...then so be it...parents need to get a life...Pikeville will be a better team because of it...
^^^Exactly. Pikeville coaching staff has done a fantastic job with this team and if players/parents give them any flack they need to be gone.
If they had Harmon and Adams...oh well...

The Panthers are still going to be a force in the next several years.
Cover3 Wrote:I hope Williams' sticks around but with the offer that my friends from up north on 23 say is on the table I'd say he is as good as gone.
lol

Bart is not going anywhere.
That is hilarious.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I saw the situation you speak of.
I know the player involved and "he is never wrong and always has to have the last word...the player really should learn to respect the authority of the coaches position.

Fans/parents should support the team and knock off yelling at the coaches from the stands six feet behind the bench where the players also hear what is said.

Couldn't agree more...it's disgusting how kids disrespect coaches and teachers these days. I haven't been out of school very long, but I can tell a huge differenc ein the way that kids act today vs. even 9 or 10 years ago.
Pikeville is a good team. But only have 1 big man. They are mostly full of gaurds. I heard that Bart likes to cuss and yell hard at the players alot. Thats the kind of coaching to turn your players away. It's ok to get mad every now and then but not every day. Most Pikeville players do think their better than everyone. But that's just Pikevilleso it will have to be overlooked. But good luck to Pikeville this season.
Mr.Rainman Wrote:Pikeville is a good team. But only have 1 big man. They are mostly full of gaurds. I heard that Bart likes to cuss and yell hard at the players alot. Thats the kind of coaching to turn your players away. It's ok to get mad every now and then but not every day. Most Pikeville players do think their better than everyone. But that's just Pikevilleso it will have to be overlooked. But good luck to Pikeville this season.

As a former player of Bart, i have never heard him cuss at a player and every coach yells nothing new there so why make a big deal over it?
17 wins is impressive if you play good competition
WINS: Williamson 2 wins
Lee co 1 win
Jenkins 2 wins
Paintsville 2 wins
Belfry 1 win
Pike Central 2 win
Cordia 1 win
Allen Central 1 win
Total: 12 wins
The pikeville girls team could have won these games
bull Wrote:17 wins is impressive if you play good competition
WINS: Williamson 2 wins
Lee co 1 win
Jenkins 2 wins
Paintsville 2 wins
Belfry 1 win
Pike Central 2 win
Cordia 1 win
Allen Central 1 win
Total: 12 wins
The pikeville girls team could have won these games
And to be fair what were the other six wins? They are 17-10

BTW, only beat Pike Central once

Prestonsburg, June Buchanon, Edmonson Co, Lawrence Co, East Ridge(2)

I'm pretty sure there are about eleven other teams in the 15th that wish they had 17 wins.
I think Bart Williams has done a great job as Pikeville's coach. Despite the loss of Adams, he has kept the program afloat and notched some impressive wins this year, including road wins at Lawrence, East Ridge, and P-Burg, and a neutral-site win over JBS. While they may not be able to compete with Shelby Valley this year, who else in the region can?

I would put them at #3 in the region right now, just behind Johnson Central and just ahead of Lawrence and ER. Even with how the region is down this year, I think that's pretty good.

Pikeville is also playing a lot of young guys this year. In the 2010-11 season, after Valley's extremely talented junior class has left, the 15th will be wide-open again, and I fully expect Pikeville to be right there in the mix.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]