Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The problem with relying on Wikipedia as a source ...
1. Somebody made an incorrect change to the WP article about Germany's new economic minster.
2. The general media cited the false fact in media coverage about said new economic minister.
3. The incorrect media references were then cited by volunteer Wikipedia editors to "prove" that the false fact is actually true.

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/09/02/10/2211220.shtml

Could happen with any article on Wikipedia. If you're a student researching an article, please don't use Wikipedia as a primary source. Use a real encyclopedia (one edited by professionals, rather than some random guy in his basement) instead.
High school and college alike usually tell students not to cite that site as a source. Information could be very easily changed (and often is) without Wikipedia or someone who knows the facts changing it before someone uses it.

thetribe Wrote:High school and college alike usually tell students not to cite that site as a source. Information could be very easily changed (and often is) without Wikipedia or someone who knows the facts changing it before someone uses it.
Yeah, at EKU we were not allowed to use wikipedia for any sources.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:Yeah, at EKU we were not allowed to use wikipedia for any sources.
Same for us when I was at Thomas More
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Morehead St. is about the same, but I'll actually get on wikipedia just to change stuff on it.