Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boone County 45 - Holmes 38
Final.
Wow
Free throws killed them. In the first half they went 1-10. Pitman was in foul trouble and and Mcfarland got away with too many calls. Congrats Boone Co. on the win.

[I]I am happy we lost. We had goten so cocky we thought no team could even compete with us and this is the wake-up call they needed for the tournament. And I'd rather the loss be to the second best in the 9th rather than some scrub team.[/I]
Surprised but not stunned. Boone County plays a physical, grinding kind of game that can give more talented teams trouble.
Holmes 8 13 6 11 45

Boone Co. 14 12 11 8 38

Holmes (23-2) -- Riley 8, J. Johnson 4, Pittman 14, Housley 5, D. Johnson 2, R. Johnson 5.
Boone Co. (18-4) -- Gabbard 8, McFarland 16, Cotton 6, Brown 7, Popp 2, Earls 6.
Boone Co is a good team, they gave Eastern all they could handle in Frankfort over the holidays. Little surprised by this outcome just because of all I have heard about Holmes, who is one of the top teams that I still have not seen this season.
Very impressive victory for Boone!
I would say McFarland matched up with Pittman, and based on scoring, McFarland got the best of him.

McFarland is tough. He is a gritty player with size. His brother is a Starter on the #7 ranked DII team in the nation, NKU Norsemen
Low scoring game, must have been a defensive battle, possibly this

game will benefit both teams in the state tournament. Congrats

Boone Cty.
Congrats Boone County, big statement game for them.

What's up with Holmes only scoring 38?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wow, congrats Boone
Extremely impressive!
Jody Demling, of the Courier-Journal, is reporting that Elijah Pittman suffered a wrist injury and that the coach said it didn't look good after the game...

Any info on that?
Nice win for Boone Co!!
Wow, that's all i can say. Congrats Boone County!
Elijah Pittman has a broken wrist he suffered from a goal tending call.

I am getting very mad. Since holmes lost ALOT of people are acting as if we are a trash team. Even with the least amount of losses(tied) and the most amount of top 20 wins in Ky(again tied). We are the only team with 6 top 20 wins in Ky to have 2 or less losses. They keep saying "Holmes got exposed". Where were the Holmes nay-sayers when we beat Scott Co.? Or Bryan Station by 18,Franklin county by even more,Ballard,Seneca,Tates Creek,Hazard(not top 20 but a good team)? They could not wait for holmes to lose.
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:Elijah Pittman has a broken wrist he suffered from a goal tending call.

I am getting very mad. Since holmes lost ALOT of people are acting as if we are a trash team. Even with the least amount of losses(tied) and the most amount of top 20 wins in Ky(again tied). We are the only team with 6 top 20 wins in Ky to have 2 or less losses. They keep saying "Holmes got exposed". Where were the Holmes nay-sayers when we beat Scott Co.? Or Bryan Station by 18,Franklin county by even more,Ballard,Seneca,Tates Creek,Hazard(not top 20 but a good team)? They could not wait for holmes to lose.

Don't take it personal.

I'd rather be the guy (the team) that everyone is trying to pick apart. What "Championship Caliber" team goes through a season of everyone patting them on the back and calling them World Beaters! Everyone always wants to knock the Giants! Everyone wants the David-Beat-Goliath story. No one can knock you off the top if you are not already there!

I said it on the state rankings above, I felt that Holmes was getting bored. When you are not inspired, you can get knocked off. The Boone Co. game will be inspiration. I was looking forward to going to the Campbell Co. game this weekend. Now I'm afraid the game will be over before the first timeout. The Dogs will be out for atonement, and the Camels are the unfortunate victims.
I didnt see this one coming but that is why they play the games...
Somewhat surprised by this one!!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Very impressive victory for Boone!

:Thumbs:
High-powered offense misfires against determined Rebels

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...2/90211041

The Boone County Rebels have proven they can play with some of the best boys' basketball teams in the state. On Tuesday night, it proved it can beat the best.

The Rebels upset Holmes, the top-ranked team in the state Associated Press poll, 45-38 at Boone County, atoning for a couple of near misses against similar competition earlier in the season.

"We've come close and we've been right there each time," said Boone County senior guard Steven McFarland, whose team previously lost to top-five squads Eastern and Ballard by a combined six points. "This was the third time. The third time was a charm, I guess."

Boone County, ranked second behind Holmes in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches' poll most of the season, controlled the game throughout. The Rebels never trailed. McFarland scored on a tip-in at the first-quarter buzzer to give them a 14-8 lead. He then converted a layup late in the second quarter to give Boone County a 26-21 halftime lead.

"I don't think they knew what to do," Boone County guard Mikey Gabbard said. "Those guys aren't used to trailing."

The Rebels extended their lead to start the second half, going on a 7-2 run to start the third quarter. They led 37-27 entering the fourth quarter.

That's when the Bulldogs made their only real rally of the game. Using an effective halfcourt trap, they cut the lead to 39-33 with 2:29 to play.

But then McFarland put the game on ice. After missing a free throw, he grabbed the rebound and was fouled while converting a layup.

"I was just trying not to give up," McFarland said. "We were up, but we were still giving it everything we had."

The Rebels' effort was most apparent on the boards and on defense. They consistently outrebounded the Bulldogs and their stingy man-to-man defense held the Bulldogs to their lowest point total since a 39-37 loss to Barberton on Dec. 21, 2006.

"We were able to do some things defensively that gave them some trouble," said Boone County coach Greg McQueary, whose team has held its last five opponents to 45 points or less. "We were aggressive when we needed to be and we were passive when we needed to be. And we came across Holmes on a night when they didn't shoot it too well."

For the game Holmes was 4-of-13 from the free-throw line and 15-of-39 from the floor.

"We got whipped, that's all it was," Holmes coach David Henley said. "They just beat us. They've got a good team and they're just good. They outplayed us tonight. ... They were the aggressor."

For defending state runner-up Holmes, the game marked the first loss to a Northern Kentucky team since a 47-46 setback against Newport Central Catholic on Feb. 14, 2008. The Bulldogs had won 17 straight games against area competition.

McFarland led Boone County with 16 points and nine rebounds. Gabbard chipped in with eight points, five assists and five steals.

Holmes junior Elijah Pittman was the Bulldogs' lone bright spot offensively. He scored 12 points in the first half. But after leaving the game in the second quarter with an injured left wrist, he was largely ineffective and scored just two points in the second half.

Henley said the team will know more about their leading scorer's injury after an X-ray.

"It doesn't look good," Henley said. "We'll have to see."
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:We are the only team with 6 top 20 wins in Ky

Scott Co also has 7.

#6 Ballard
#7 Mason County
#10 Bryan Station
#10 Bryan Station again
#13 Clark County
#17 Franklin County
#19 Dunbar
I was at the game last night and the Mcfarland kid went off he could close his eyes and still make it in a heart breaking loss
38 points, are you kidding me. One of the best teams in the state and you score 38 points, that is sad.
Is D. Johnson, Dominique Johnson? I taught in Covington while some of these players were in Middle School and I was just wondering.
That sucks for Elijah. Hope he gets better.