Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BluegrassRivals.com Boys Basketball Top 20 (Feb. 9)
PC_You_Know Wrote:You never slighted Valley, but you made ONE HECK of a complaint for Elliott having the tougher schedule.

I'm done.

You asked me to make a case as to why I would vote Elliott County ahead of Shelby Valley. I did.
FBALL Wrote:You asked me to make a case as to why I would vote Elliott County ahead of Shelby Valley. I did.

Okay, so you told us why you voted for Elliott, HOPEFULLY you realize you were the only voter back-to-back weeks to vote Elliott over Valley, and you state their schedule's are similar in strength, you understand Valley WON the head to head match up, what is left to base your vote on?
PC_You_Know Wrote:Okay, so you told us why you voted for Elliott, HOPEFULLY you realize you were the only voter back-to-back weeks to vote Elliott over Valley, and you state their schedule's are similar in strength, you understand Valley WON the head to head match up, what is left to base your vote on?

Come on now, give it a rest. He said he thinks Elliott is the better team, so that should be good enough. Just let it go.

No matter if someone thinks SV is the better team, or if they think Elliott is better, either side could make a compelling case. Both teams have had excellent seasons so far, with each owning wins over some quality competiton.

Myself, I look at the game between the two as just that: one game. SV was the better team that day. Are they the better team, looking over the entire season? Maybe. In my opinion, Valley is the better team. To others, they aren't. And that's ok.

Whether it's won-loss records, quality wins, or head-to-head competition, there are a lot of reasons why someone may rate one team ahead of the other. Sometimes it's just a gut feeling. Whatever the reason, polls are just a combination of multiple opinions, and should be viewed as nothing more than an interesting conversation starter. :Thumbs:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FBALL Wrote:I don't think Elliott County's schedule has been any tougher than Valley's.

If head to head is all that counted than Holmes should still be ranked ahead of Scott County even after the loss to Boone County tonight. Is that correct?
Holmes beat Scott Co. on Dec 14th 2007 by 5 points. I feel like that win helped move them into the number 1 spot in the state. Flash forward to Feb. 10th, 2009. Holmes gets beat by Boone Co. by 7. I would be willing to bet that Holmes wont be ranked number 1 by any of the major polls in the state after that loss. Lot of things can happen to a team in almost 2 months. Teams can peak early, in which case they play better earlier in the season than later in the season. There could be a key injury. Turmoil between players, all those factors can determine the outcome of a game. That is why they are weekly polls. To rank the teams each week according to how they are playing. that week.

This is my argument about it. You said you listened to the EC/SV game on the radio and someone you trust told you about it. So you based your vote on what your friend said. I listened to the game on the radio while I was filming it live. Radio announcers dont always call it the way it happens. Watch and listen to a game once and you will know what I mean. But for this point in the season, SV proved on the court they was the better team. No opionions can change that. See, this is off of the KHSAA website:

Feb 1, 09 Shelby Valley at Eastern Kentucky University 52 - 55 (L) Click Touchstone Energy All "A" Classic

There isnt a "*" ther anywhere saying Elliott played lazy, didnt hustle, had problems getting the ball up the floor. It just says that Elliott LOST. settled on the court. But lets say that night EC was the better team and did make a comeback to take the game. Would you have voted SV as the better team?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
More Cowbell Wrote:Come on now, give it a rest. He said he thinks Elliott is the better team, so that should be good enough. Just let it go.

No matter if someone thinks SV is the better team, or if they think Elliott is better, either side could make a compelling case. Both teams have had excellent seasons so far, with each owning wins over some quality competiton.

Myself, I look at the game between the two as just that: one game. SV was the better team that day. Are they the better team, looking over the entire season? Maybe. In my opinion, Valley is the better team. To others, they aren't. And that's ok.

Whether it's won-loss records, quality wins, or head-to-head competition, there are a lot of reasons why someone may rate one team ahead of the other. Sometimes it's just a gut feeling. Whatever the reason, polls are just a combination of multiple opinions, and should be viewed as nothing more than an interesting conversation starter. :Thumbs:
Well said.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Okay, so you told us why you voted for Elliott, HOPEFULLY you realize you were the only voter back-to-back weeks to vote Elliott over Valley, and you state their schedule's are similar in strength, you understand Valley WON the head to head match up, what is left to base your vote on?

I realize what your and other opinions are. I don't vote based on what others think.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Holmes beat Scott Co. on Dec 14th 2007 by 5 points. I feel like that win helped move them into the number 1 spot in the state. Flash forward to Feb. 10th, 2009. Holmes gets beat by Boone Co. by 7. I would be willing to bet that Holmes wont be ranked number 1 by any of the major polls in the state after that loss. Lot of things can happen to a team in almost 2 months. Teams can peak early, in which case they play better earlier in the season than later in the season. There could be a key injury. Turmoil between players, all those factors can determine the outcome of a game. That is why they are weekly polls. To rank the teams each week according to how they are playing. that week.

This is my argument about it. You said you listened to the EC/SV game on the radio and someone you trust told you about it. So you based your vote on what your friend said. I listened to the game on the radio while I was filming it live. Radio announcers dont always call it the way it happens. Watch and listen to a game once and you will know what I mean. But for this point in the season, SV proved on the court they was the better team. No opionions can change that. See, this is off of the KHSAA website:

Feb 1, 09 Shelby Valley at Eastern Kentucky University 52 - 55 (L) Click Touchstone Energy All "A" Classic

There isnt a "*" ther anywhere saying Elliott played lazy, didnt hustle, had problems getting the ball up the floor. It just says that Elliott LOST. settled on the court. But lets say that night EC was the better team and did make a comeback to take the game. Would you have voted SV as the better team?

I didn't have Holmes ranked ahead of Scott County anyway.

You guys can quit trying to make your case. Its not going to change anything.
I wasnt trying to make a case, I just said it was a weekly poll. So the votes should go to how teams are playing that week.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.