Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Sports "Mr. Rushmore"
If we could display the most famous sports symbols of our state in stone, who would be carved in the side of the mountain? This would be tremendously difficult to narrow it down to just four, but here is my stab at recognizing the four most recognizable sports icons that have either come from or came to our great state. It was very difficult not putting four Basketball players or coaches on the list.

War Admiral - just go to the KY Horsepark, and you will see who the most embellished horse in the state is. He sired some of the greatest ever including Man-O-War, who likely could be considered as one of the four to be carved in stone as well.

Adolph Rupp - revolutionized the game of basketball, held the record for most wins all time, has the titles to back up his record, and is the #1 reason for making UK Basketball fans as nutty as we are.

Cawood Ledford - not an athlete, but as well known to Ky. Fans as Rupp, Macy, Pitino, etc... Absolutely the Best!

Muhammad Ali - Simply, The Greatest!

I tried to not have two Basketball icons, especially from the same program, but it was too diffcult. Who would you put up for all to see?
I like it!
Why is everyone picking horses? I saw on espn's that Secretariat was on Kentucky's Mt. Rushmore. I know horse racing is very popular in kentucky, a horse is an animal. Not an athlete. Otherwise, it is a good list. I would add Dan Issel, Shaun Alexander, Denny Crum, Rick Pitino and Pee wee Reese.
Adolph Rupp, Bear Bryant (I know he had great success at 'Bama, but did lead UK to a National Championship), Muhammed Ali, Paul Hornung....several others I can think of but I'd go with this one.
The Mount Rushmore in Kentucky has been formed according to ESPN.

The four heads are:

Muhammad Ali
Adolph Rupp
Secretariat
Rick Pitino
Adolph rupp is a legend, but come on Muhammad ali is probably the one of the if not the greatest athete of all time worldwide!
Jarons Wrote:Why is everyone picking horses? I saw on espn's that Secretariat was on Kentucky's Mt. Rushmore. I know horse racing is very popular in kentucky, a horse is an animal. Not an athlete. Otherwise, it is a good list. I would add Dan Issel, Shaun Alexander, Denny Crum, Rick Pitino and Pee wee Reese.

Read the thread and maybe you will be able to answer your question. Sports symbols, not athletes.

I like Denny Crum and Dan Issel.
Cornell Burbage
Bill Ransdell
Eddie Sutton
Rob Lock

lol j/k
Adolph Rupp
Rick Pitino
Bear Bryant
Dan Issel
would be my four non-horse athletes, lol
Rupp, Ali, Secretariat (if they allowed animals) but I'd pick Pee Wee Reese, and a forgotten legend, Johnny Unitus.
Unitus played at Louisville, but is he from the state of Kentucky?
IRISH4 Wrote:Unitus played at Louisville, but is he from the state of Kentucky?

I believe that he is from Pennsylvania
Jarons Wrote:I believe that he is from Pennsylvania

He was born in Pittsburgh and grew up in the Mount Washington area. He stayed there until he got a scholarhsip to the University of Louisville. That is the only connection to Ky that he has, but if you can put Pitino on there, who is not from Kentucky I guess you can consider Unitas as well.
^^^ Agreed!
It doesn't matter if they are from the state of Kentucky or not. Rick Pitino made the Mr. Rushmore list and was born in New York City.
The intent was to put the sports figures that most represent the State of Kentucky. Nobody has had a problem putting Adolph Rupp in the mix, he's not originally from Kentucky.
I guess the exception with Adolph Rupp is the fact that he was and forever will be known Kentucky basketball. When you think of UK that's the first name that comes to mind.
IRISH4 Wrote:I guess the exception with Adolph Rupp is the fact that he was and forever will be known Kentucky basketball. When you think of UK that's the first name that comes to mind.

I don't think that anyone can be excluded from UK lore, no matter where they were born. Maybe that's another thread, "Who were the best Kentucky Born Sports Stars"
BCF4L Wrote:The Mount Rushmore in Kentucky has been formed according to ESPN.

The four heads are:

Muhammad Ali
Adolph Rupp
Secretariat
Rick Pitino

I think that the ESPN list got it right. Rupp is Kentucky Basketball, Ali is the greatest, Rick Pitino brought Kentucky basketball back from the ashes, and Secretariat is the greatest horse of all time.