Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Gillispie: a good coach or not?
I was wondering if anyone else thought billy g was good coach explain your anwer to please.
Well personally im not really sure. So far all we have saw is that he has a very good recruiting capability. I do know that we have some very embarassing losses in these last 2 seasons, that I believe we wouldnt have got if Tubby had been the coach during those games. I will be able to say for sure if I like him or not when our season is over (seeing how our win/loss pans out, and what kind of run we make in the ncaa tourny)

But so far im in the middle of saying if he's a good coach or a bad coach.
Billy G is a great coach, give him some time and he will show everyone why he was hired.
There is no doubt that he can coach. His philosohy I question at times. I want him to succeed at Ky. I believe that he will get it pulled 2gether!
I think he is a good coach and a great recruiter, and we all know that recruiting is a big part of coaching in modern times. However, he just looks so mad all the time, and when he does smile it looks so forced.
But, many great coaches have been the exact same way, so let's give him some time.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I think he is a good coach and a great recruiter, and we all know that recruiting is a big part of coaching in modern times. However, he just looks so mad all the time, and when he does smile it looks so forced.
But, many great coaches have been the exact same way, so let's give him some time.

That's exactly right!!!
Yeah he needs to lighten up sometimes, Coach K at Duke looks happy on the sidelines at games, smiling, laughing at the refs calls, seems like Billy G only has anger in his blood.
I personally like him but the man needs to go zone ever so often to throw teams a curve.
I think that he has potential. He is a great recruiter and has shown the ability to develop talent look at the improvements made by Stevenson, Bradley, and Crawford last year. I think he needs time though we are in a rebuilding process.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:Billy G is a great coach, give him some time and he will show everyone why he was hired.

No, he was hired because they couldn't get Billy Donavon.
He is a good coach, 1 he can get the player to come to Kentucky. 2 If you dont have to the player you have no change of winning. 3 he try to get player from Kentucky. The only thing i dont like about his coaching is that he play man to man all game.... He need to play some zone, but not like to 1950 zones. Bring it up to the 2000's.
I think he will be a very good coach. I think he needs to get more out of Miller, Liggens, and Galloway to be succesful this year. I also like the big guard approach.
billy g isnt a great coach like we thought he was gonna be, he is a good coach but hes no pitno or tubby no matter how much we wannt him to be and meeks is all we have besides patterson who is the most consistant player on the team. and they are both tubbys players along with porter and stevenson. liggens and miller are billys players i think we should get bob knight could you imagine the combination of the greatest coach and school of all times in college basketball we would get all the tallent who wouldnt want to play for bob knight at the university of kentucky.
He is a very good coach. Look what he is doing without a very good point guard. When he gets that great point guard that can dish and score, look out because they will play defence and when they are more consistant on offence which requires a good point guard which will limit the turnovers which helps the offence and takes some pressure off the defence they will be a contender again. They are doing far better than I thought they would this year and things will continue to get better.
why do people spell defense and offense like defence and offence? lol just wondering
runninrebs21 Wrote:why do people spell defense and offense like defence and offence? lol just wondering

Because I am smarter than whoever said those two words should be spelled with an s instead of a c. Here is why, take the word fence and add de or of to the front and what do you have? DEFENCE and OFFENCE make since. I thought it would. Boy, the person who came up with DEFENSE AND OFFENCE sure was a DUMB*** weren't they. I hope this explains it to you. If not, please let me know.:thatsfunn :thatsfunn :thatsfunn
PC_You_Know Wrote:Yeah he needs to lighten up sometimes, Coach K at Duke looks happy on the sidelines at games, smiling, laughing at the refs calls, seems like Billy G only has anger in his blood.

Coach K has reasons to be happy and laugh. They are 18-2, in the top 10 almost every year. Billy G, is not.
Yes, he is a very good coach.
All right Ive heard everything from no point guard, discipline, he doesnt smile and laugh, he can recruit, he can get all the recruits to come to kentucky he plays man to man all the time is why he losses, meeks and patterson is all we got. All right if he can recruit where is the point guard that he needs why isnt he at uk, discipline yeah liggens refuses to play and record setting time the next game, he dont laugh or smile ok thats why he is a good or bad coach. Meeks and patterson is all we got well whos fought is that, he plays man to man well thats the good coach in him I guess. he has all them good guards on the bench he may as well tire them out with man to man. Bradley and crawford improved alot is somegthing I also heard, ok they done real good this year. Stevenson has improved I will say that and I think he is a big man coach because all the big men has improved but I wonder about his recruiting and coaching style some time
I think that he is a good coach, but his style is one that we Kentucky fans are not use to seeing. His style is defense and that's how UK wins games. That's why when you take some bad shots he probably isn't going to take you out of the game, but when you make a mistake on defense your coming out. The defense hasn't showed up in the past two games against Ole Miss and South Carolina, but I'm sure UK will show up tomorrow against Miss. State.

What he did at UTEP and Texas A&M was incredible, and he did it at both schools after 1 season. Now that he is at Kentucky, you have a target on your back because your going to always get your opponents best performance.
theVILLE Wrote:All right Ive heard everything from no point guard, discipline, he doesnt smile and laugh, he can recruit, he can get all the recruits to come to kentucky he plays man to man all the time is why he losses, meeks and patterson is all we got. All right if he can recruit where is the point guard that he needs why isnt he at uk, discipline yeah liggens refuses to play and record setting time the next game, he dont laugh or smile ok thats why he is a good or bad coach. Meeks and patterson is all we got well whos fought is that, he plays man to man well thats the good coach in him I guess. he has all them good guards on the bench he may as well tire them out with man to man. Bradley and crawford improved alot is somegthing I also heard, ok they done real good this year. Stevenson has improved I will say that and I think he is a big man coach because all the big men has improved but I wonder about his recruiting and coaching style some time

Billy G have to show he know how to coach at UK first, then the player start coming in.... The kids that come in, the coaches have to show them and the fans they know how to coach..... Meeks isn't that good, anyone will get that many points a game. IF they shot it 50% of the time....
cj2561 Wrote:Billy G have to show he know how to coach at UK first, then the player start coming in.... The kids that come in, the coaches have to show them and the fans they know how to coach..... Meeks isn't that good, anyone will get that many points a game. IF they shot it 50% of the time....

THANK YOU! Finally someone else realized it too!
I want to start off by saying that I am no way shape or form a UK fan. I will say one thing about him that me and a couple of UK fans were discussing the other day. When Tubby was the coach at UK he never lost those games that Billy G did(VMI). Just wanted to throw that out there.
I'm just not sure. Sometimes I think he is, others I don't. He's a good recruiter...probably wait to evaluate until he gets a full team of his players that fit his system.
he's a recruiter and a decent coach
I think Billy Gillispie is a good coach, but I wish we still had Tubby Smith with us. I was one of the few of Tubby Smith's loyal fans.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:I think Billy Gillispie is a good coach, but I wish we still had Tubby Smith with us. I was one of the few of Tubby Smith's loyal fans.

You must not have meet him. He was the biggest red-neck out there. Before i meet him, i was a big UK fan. But after that i hate UK. Now i am getting back into UK basketball, but not much.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:Billy G is a great coach, give him some time and he will show everyone why he was hired.

i fully agree with you.:Clap:
Deathstar 80 Wrote:I think Billy Gillispie is a good coach, but I wish we still had Tubby Smith with us. I was one of the few of Tubby Smith's loyal fans.

How are u a tubby fan I mean he came in and a school at the top of the nation and now look:confused:
The reason they are so down and suck as bad as they do is not Tubby, its this idiot they have now. Tubby knew and still knows how to coach, whether the players are good or bad he gets the best out of them, something this guy doesnt know how to do. How hard is it to realize that people? If his defense was so good, why is it that teams kill us with the three and eat us up in the lane most of the time huh, can ya tell me that? Its not always the players fault like he makes it out to be, when the **** is he ever going to take blame for what he does or doesnt do. Like never changing the defense up a little, or have a set rotation instead of playing a player 30 minutes one game then barely 5 the next game. He sucks, I cant stand him and I cant wait till his sorry rear end is gone from UK. Oh yeah, they will lose tonight againt Mississippi St., and defense and offense is spelled right with the s, not the frickin c, good lord, go back to school. Who cares if the word fence has a c in it and all that crap, its spelled the way it is, so spell it right or dont spell at all, which I see most on here cant anyway.