Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storm disrupts All 'A' Classic
http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/675053.html

Thanks to the weather, this Touchstone Energy All "A" Classic is already one to remember.

A winter storm and its after effects caused organizers of the small-school basketball shootout in Richmond to revamp its schedule.

The girls' tournament began Wednesday after a three-hour delay, even though Madison County had widespread power outages and a dwindling water supply.

Efficient LCA advancesLexington Christian has no problem in first-round victory.

Revised schedules

Page B3

All 'A' Classic

At EKU's McBrayer Arena

Revised schedule

Thursday

Girls' quarterfinals: 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.

Girls' semifinals: 7:30 and 9 p.m.

Friday

Boys' first-round: 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m., 5 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 8 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

Saturday

Boys' quarterfinals: 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon and 1:30 p.m.

Sunday

Boys' semifinals: 8:30 and 10 a.m.

Girls' finals: 12:30 p.m.

Boys' finals: 2:30 p.m.

Mike Reeves of the All "A" said consideration was given to canceling the event, but hazardous road conditions were a safety concern if the teams traveled home.

"It's almost like an emergency here," Reeves said. "None of the hotels have power, so (McBrayer Arena) was the only warm place we knew to have the kids.

"The teams have been invited to stay all night in the arena if they want to."

The boys' tournament was supposed to begin Thursday, but because some teams hadn't made the trip to Richmond yet, the first round was rescheduled for Friday.

"It'll be safer if we keep them off the roads for another day," Reeves said.

Instead, the girls will play their quarterfinals and semifinals on Thursday.

The boys' quarterfinals will be Sat
This is the biggest load of crap I've seen.

The roads are, and have been completely fine in Richmond and the surrounding areas.

It's not the roads that are the problem. It's the lack of power to 525,000 people across the state.

SEND THEM HOME.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What a mess for those who are down there.
ComfortEagle Wrote:This is the biggest load of crap I've seen.

The roads are, and have been completely fine in Richmond and the surrounding areas.

It's not the roads that are the problem. It's the lack of power to 525,000 people across the state.

SEND THEM HOME.

Great post CE!
Another thing. Where are these people supposed to eat?

Power has been out to 90% of the restaurants in Richmond. About the only thing open yesterday was a KFC and a McDonald's. I know it took one person an hour and half just to get through the line at McDonald's yesterday.

What is everybody supposed to eat? Concession stand food?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Another thing. Where are these people supposed to eat?

Power has been out to 90% of the restaurants in Richmond. About the only thing open yesterday was a KFC and a McDonald's. I know it took one person an hour and half just to get through the line at McDonald's yesterday.

What is everybody supposed to eat? Concession stand food?

Have the Hotels been impacted?
I'm as big a sports lover as anybody else on here, but at some point you just have to let these people go home...
Stardust Wrote:Have the Hotels been impacted?

The article I read in the Richmond paper was that even hotels had lost power and that teams were offered a chance to sleep over or stay in the arena. No, I'm not kidding.

The article said there was talk of canceling it, but with roads likely being a mess, it would put the teams, families, etc in even more danger by sending them home. Really is a mess.