Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think 7th & 8th grader should play up?
ky wildcats Wrote:[/B][/COLOR]

This is what i was looking for.

Is that a problem in Elliott Co.???
ky wildcats Wrote:[/B][/COLOR]

This is what i was looking for.

You should get playing time cause you earn it not cause you need it. If a 7th or 8th grader has earned it in practice then let them play.
If a kids good let them play. You'll have some parents mad, but that's the way it is. If they are afraid that it will take time away from their kids time, get the kid to work harder. Competetion inside a team is a good thing....most of the time.
blitzingback Wrote:If a kids good let them play. You'll have some parents mad, but that's the way it is. If they are afraid that it will take time away from their kids time, get the kid to work harder. Competetion inside a team is a good thing....most of the time.

I agree bb!! There is so much that should determine how much and what teams a 7/8th grader should play. First, what team did they start playing on?, 2nd, what team do they practise with first?, what games do they attend if they have more than 1 team playing?, do they start and play a lot on the teams that they are playing up on? I believe these things need to be answered before we can determine if they need to be playing MS ball, Freshman, JV, Varsity. ky wildcats, sounds like you have this situation at your school, give us some answers to these questions so we can give a better opinion.:thumpsup:
Muskie13 Wrote:I agree bb!! There is so much that should determine how much and what teams a 7/8th grader should play. First, what team did they start playing on?, 2nd, what team do they practise with first?, what games do they attend if they have more than 1 team playing?, do they start and play a lot on the teams that they are playing up on? I believe these things need to be answered before we can determine if they need to be playing MS ball, Freshman, JV, Varsity. ky wildcats, sounds like you have this situation at your school, give us some answers to these questions so we can give a better opinion.:thumpsup:

I see your point with this, but it should all be left up to the HS coach. It is his program, let him make the decisions that will help his program the best!!! To many unanswered questions that most don't know anything about.
i m just curious want other people thought about this we dont have any in our ms able to play @ the jv or varisty level.
I don't think it is simple.Moving up against older and sometimes bigger players, unless he or her is super talented and mature, can shatter a players confidence and sometimes desire to compete.

Just my opionion, but I think the coach, family and player should have a talk and get everyones input on whether to stay where they are or move up. Again, sometimes a coach, or a parent, or a player will think they are so talented they can score 54 points a night and then when they only score 2 or 3 they are shattered. Take the time to try to get it right for the young player!!!
dortonite Wrote:I don't think it is simple.Moving up against older and sometimes bigger players, unless he or her is super talented and mature, can shatter a players confidence and sometimes desire to compete.

Just my opionion, but I think the coach, family and player should have a talk and get everyones input on whether to stay where they are or move up. Again, sometimes a coach, or a parent, or a player will think they are so talented they can score 54 points a night and then when they only score 2 or 3 they are shattered. Take the time to try to get it right for the young player!!!

good post :Clap:
ky wildcats Wrote:???????

i think that they should stay and play there league.. more experance will make them better ballers...
dortonite Wrote:I don't think it is simple.Moving up against older and sometimes bigger players, unless he or her is super talented and mature, can shatter a players confidence and sometimes desire to compete.

I would think most HS coaches involve the family and player on this matter, I am sure they would explain what they recommend, expectations, playing time, all details and the parents and player would have to agree!! Most 7th/8th graders that move up is to get experience, not to score 54 a game.Rolleyes
BunnyJunky101 Wrote:[COLOR="Magenta"]If they're good enough duhh..
Most of them guys were held back anyway soo......[/COLOR]

Is holding kids back pretty common in most schools?
It is against the rules to play at your age group and play up now. My sister was playing freshman for girls and playing 7th grade but they made her stop playing up if she was going to play down.
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:It is against the rules to play at your age group and play up now. My sister was playing freshman for girls and playing 7th grade but they made her stop playing up if she was going to play down.

I really think that the way it should be play one or the other but not both.
ky wildcats Wrote:I really think that the way it should be play one or the other but not both.

To me that would be punishing the kid that was good enough to play up.
racer4life Wrote:To me that would be punishing the kid that was good enough to play up.

I agree racer! Most kids that play up are doing so because the Varsity coach ask them to in the middle of the season after some injuries, players quitting, academics get a few, etc. Those kids shouldn't leave there regular team(MS) just to fill a roster spot and play up on certain nites. It is giving them some experience for next year and most MS that play up would not get enough pt just dressing JV/V. On the other hand I would agree that a kid playing up from the beginning of the season and getting several minutes on JV/V should not play MS.
lcalum Wrote:I agree racer! Most kids that play up are doing so because the Varsity coach ask them to in the middle of the season after some injuries, players quitting, academics get a few, etc. Those kids shouldn't leave there regular team(MS) just to fill a roster spot and play up on certain nites. It is giving them some experience for next year and most MS that play up would not get enough pt just dressing JV/V. On the other hand I would agree that a kid playing up from the beginning of the season and getting several minutes on JV/V should not play MS.

I mean starting the whole season up not in the middle like most schools do.
Yes, if they are good enough
im not about punishing a kid thats good enough to play up i just think if you are good enough to start 8th grade why should you start 7th as well.
i dont see a problem letting them play both. the more they play the more experiance they are going to get and that is only going to make them better.
ky wildcats Wrote:im not about punishing a kid thats good enough to play up i just think if you are good enough to start 8th grade why should you start 7th as well.

I thought this thread was about a kid playing up @ the HS level, not 7th and 8th grade. Most every school I know plays 7th & 8th on the same nite and even practises them together, so they should play both in middle school. I think if a player is good enough he should play all he can.:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
riverrat11 Wrote:I thought this thread was about a kid playing up @ the HS level, not 7th and 8th grade. Most every school I know plays 7th & 8th on the same nite and even practises them together, so they should play both in middle school. I think if a player is good enough he should play all he can.:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Sorry just an example. Say starts freshman then should you let him start 7th & 8th too
ky wildcats Wrote:Sorry just an example. Say starts freshman then should you let him start 7th & 8th too

I say let them play as much as they can, if there good enough to play up then let them play.
riverrat11 Wrote:I say let them play as much as they can, if there good enough to play up then let them play.

I agree.
ky wildcats Wrote:im not about punishing a kid thats good enough to play up i just think if you are good enough to start 8th grade why should you start 7th as well.

I say let them play whenever they can as much as they can!

You seem to have a personnel issue with this, you are the only one in the entire thread that seems to have issues with this and keeps asking questions like your digging for something. What exactly do you want to know, or tell us your situation or what you agree or disagree that some one is doing. This is a tough question without knowing specifics, give us your facts then we can give a better opinion!!!!
i think totaly if they are that good but if its a special night for like a senior and they play ahead of them the senior should start but i did not say they had to play the whole game but only if they are good enough. i play up on 8 th grade and i have no problem if an eighth grader plays infront of me........:closed:
Muskie13 Wrote:You seem to have a personnel issue with this, you are the only one in the entire thread that seems to have issues with this and keeps asking questions like your digging for something. What exactly do you want to know, or tell us your situation or what you agree or disagree that some one is doing. This is a tough question without knowing specifics, give us your facts then we can give a better opinion!!!!

Muskie, we have dealt with this at our school a little and the ones concerned seem to be parents of players that have a kid younger playing up and taking there kids playing time. This may or may not be what is going on in this situation but most often it is.
ky wildcats Wrote:i m just curious want other people thought about this we dont have any in our ms able to play @ the jv or varisty level.
From what I have heard.You did have one that the coach was going to play up this season,J.V & Varsity,but the player transfered.
Muskie13 Wrote:You seem to have a personnel issue with this, you are the only one in the entire thread that seems to have issues with this and keeps asking questions like your digging for something. What exactly do you want to know, or tell us your situation or what you agree or disagree that some one is doing. This is a tough question without knowing specifics, give us your facts then we can give a better opinion!!!!

Lets just use this scenario,say wildcats son plays on the 8th grade team,and they have 1 or 2 guards that can flat out play .Both are 7th graders.They play up on th e 8th gr team.Now maybe wildcats son doesn't start or get to play very much.Maybe that's where all the questions are coming from.Maybe not,just a scenario.But this sounds more like a parent that's unhappy about their child not getting to play because a couple kids are playing up.Just my opinion.