Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who was the best 14th Region team in the last 10-15yrs?
Think long and hard about this, there are some former great TEAMS from this region. Who do you think is the best in the last ten to fifteen years and reason behind your thinking. Let the debates begin. I have a team in mind but I want to see others first.
although they didn't win region i liked the 2004 hazard team that won the all A and another team i really liked although i dont know if i would call them the best was the 2002 whitesburg team with brock and howard but perry central had a couple of great teams in the late 90s early this decade as well
I have to agree with the 2004 All A State Championship Hazard Bulldogs team. That was a great team and a lot of great memories.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:I have to agree with the 2004 All A State Championship Hazard Bulldogs team. That was a great team and a lot of great memories.

Is this the year of Paker Carter, Robert Lyttle, Stephen Sizemore, Lamar Williams, and Hank Gabbard?
MVP2 Wrote:Is this the year of Paker Carter, Robert Lyttle, Stephen Sizemore, Lamar Williams, and Hank Gabbard?

Yes. That was a great team. That was the year Dan Combs hit a shot at the buzz to beat them in the 1st round of the district. It was probably one of the best games I've ever been at. Standing room only in Leslie Co's small gym.
MVP2 Wrote:Is this the year of Paker Carter, Robert Lyttle, Stephen Sizemore, Lamar Williams, and Hank Gabbard?

Yes... Hank Gabbard, Stephen Sizemore, Parker Carter, Eric Mullins, Robert Lyttle, JJ Hously, Lamar Williams, Jonathan Francis, Chase Patrick, Durell Olinger, Justin Wallace, Chuckie Osteen, Jon Walker, Tyler Bailey and last but certainly not least, Justin Hicks who was a freshman at that time.
Aslan Wrote:Yes. That was a great team. That was the year Dan Combs hit a shot at the buzz to beat them in the 1st round of the district. It was probably one of the best games I've ever been at. Standing room only in Leslie Co's small gym.

And Leslie's clock was messed up. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:And Leslie's clock was messed up. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

LOL, I'll prolly always remember that game. I was there cheering on Hazard and after the game bunch Hazard fans was cusssing at me and my friends over the time sayin not 7 secs but 4 :lmao:
MVP2 Wrote:LOL, I'll prolly always remember that game. I was there cheering on Hazard and after the game bunch Hazard fans was cusssing at me and my friends over the time sayin not 7 secs but 4 :lmao:

I'll never forget that game. We just knew we had it won with only 4 seconds left on the clock...and then they ADDED the extra seconds!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR
I don't believe a gym should be able to host a tournament game if their clock isn't working right!
How can you call 04 Hazard the best when they didn't even win the region?? I agree they were good, but they didnt win the region. How can you say they were the best in the last 10 to 15 years. I like the 02 Whitesburg team as well. Final four of the All A, Final eight of the state tournament. Those boys get flat play. However, PCC did have some good teams as well 98 PCC team was a force too! There have been some good teams in recent years.
1998 Hazard Bulldogs were pretty good, beat a tough PCC team in Powell to win the Region title. The 1995-96 Leslie Co. team was good as well, with Couch, Meade, and Allen. Leslie Co. got beat by a great Breathitt Co. team in the 1st game of the region at Knott Co. Breathitt went on to win the Region that year and that team was tough with Scott Moore and Co., they had a good bench that year and Roscoe Denny was and is a great coach!! There are a bunch of teams deserving mention, but just not sure who the best would really be!! Tough decision!! JMO
Dfenz Wrote:How can you call 04 Hazard the best when they didn't even win the region?? I agree they were good, but they didnt win the region. How can you say they were the best in the last 10 to 15 years. I like the 02 Whitesburg team as well. Final four of the All A, Final eight of the state tournament. Those boys get flat play. However, PCC did have some good teams as well 98 PCC team was a force too! There have been some good teams in recent years.

this is true but they did win the all A.and even the best teams lose every know and then. they lost on a last second shot. jmo
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:1998 Hazard Bulldogs were pretty good, beat a tough PCC team in Powell to win the Region title. The 1995-96 Leslie Co. team was good as well, with Couch, Meade, and Allen. Leslie Co. got beat by a great Breathitt Co. team in the 1st game of the region at Knott Co. Breathitt went on to win the Region that year and that team was tough with Scott Moore and Co., they had a good bench that year and Roscoe Denny was and is a great coach!! There are a bunch of teams deserving mention, but just not sure who the best would really be!! Tough decision!! JMO

Did John Olinger play for the 98 dogs? Didnt he go on to play football at Cincy and play a little in the NFL?
Yes, he did, played some with the Falcons and was cut! Great athlete though!!
Dfenz Wrote:How can you call 04 Hazard the best when they didn't even win the region?? I agree they were good, but they didnt win the region. How can you say they were the best in the last 10 to 15 years. I like the 02 Whitesburg team as well. Final four of the All A, Final eight of the state tournament. Those boys get flat play. However, PCC did have some good teams as well 98 PCC team was a force too! There have been some good teams in recent years.
i remember in the regoin losing in the region simis one year and i remember my coach telling me words that have always stuck in my head "the best team don't always win" and i have learned most of the time the best overall team dont win just the team that was better that night won
the 1 the only Wrote:i remember in the regoin losing in the region simis one year and i remember my coach telling me words that have always stuck in my head "the best team don't always win" and i have learned most of the time the best overall team dont win just the team that was better that night won

This is absolutely true and I thought the same thing when I read the above post.
THE BEST TEAM DOESN'T ALWAYS WIN.
the lee co 05-06 team was a good one with taulbee and rich and kenny brandenburg, the twins, landan johnson, and caleb fetters...should have won the region and won the all A region also that year
theflash Wrote:the lee co 05-06 team was a good one with taulbee and rich and kenny brandenburg, the twins, landan johnson, and caleb fetters...should have won the region and won the all A region also that year

They got beat 1st round of region by Leslie Co. I thought LC should have won the region that year, I would say they was the best team in the 14th that year. Morgan,Wells,Day,Hubbard, Howard, and Hendixx.Best LC team since the Tim Couch era.
the 1 the only Wrote:i remember in the regoin losing in the region simis one year and i remember my coach telling me words that have always stuck in my head "the best team don't always win" and i have learned most of the time the best overall team dont win just the team that was better that night won

I have heard this quote as well. My opinion I think its crap. An excuse, a copout. GREAT teams ALWAYS find a way to win. They ALWAYS win when they are suppose to. Thats the difference between a team that is good and a team that is great. Again, jmo.
MVP2 Wrote:They got beat 1st round of region by Leslie Co. I thought LC should have won the region that year, I would say they was the best team in the 14th that year. Morgan,Wells,Day,Hubbard, Howard, and Hendixx.Best LC team since the Tim Couch era.

yeah they did get beat..fetters went down with an ankle injury in the 2nd quarter..and leslie co was not missing shots the whole game..hard to defend when their guards are hitting everything they throw up..it was a good game though
Dfenz Wrote:I have heard this quote as well. My opinion I think its crap. An excuse, a copout. GREAT teams ALWAYS find a way to win. They ALWAYS win when they are suppose to. Thats the difference between a team that is good and a team that is great. Again, jmo.

I guess you could say the diff between a good team and a great team is that the great teams find a way to win when there not playing there best, or overcome tremendous adversity? I know that the best team don't always win. UK got beat by VMI and UL got beat by WKU. I know if UL and UK played those teams 10times, theyd probably at least win 8 of them. Hate to admit it, but when Dan Combs hit the shot to knock Hazard out, we didnt have the better team that year.
Whitesburg ,pcc Had Some Good Teams
Aslan Wrote:I guess you could say the diff between a good team and a great team is that the great teams find a way to win when there not playing there best, or overcome tremendous adversity? I know that the best team don't always win. UK got beat by VMI and UL got beat by WKU. I know if UL and UK played those teams 10times, theyd probably at least win 8 of them. Hate to admit it, but when Dan Combs hit the shot to knock Hazard out, we didnt have the better team that year.
not exactly just didnt have the better team that night but the 2004 perry central team was very good as well but just little things like the clock and such and who can for get the shot lil al put up on his back and made just sometimes it just isnt meant to be
I hear 97 Perry Central was really good. They won region. It was Kent Campbell's senior year, and I believe Ben Bowling was a freshman.