Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Past High school greats in EKY
Who do you guys think the past player that came out of eastern ky
Where did he go to high school?
any stats?:theman:
i mean best past player sry guys
I know of two HS greats, Ervin Stepp From phelps who had a great scoring career still holding some HS records,he attended PHelps HS,
and "King" Kelly Coleman, but no facts to give about him
Both where great players
a lot of the stepps where good players
i would have to add Todd May from Virgie HS
also i know this is not one player but i think the best team play in the mountains from the past is also Virgie HS in the ladder 70's when the had all the Newsome kids
I love to wacth them play on old game tapes
Donnis Butcher Meade H.S. (Johnson Co.) played in the mid 50's attended Pikeville college and is their 4th leading scorer. Donnis was drafted by the N.Y. Knicks in 1960 and played 5 seasons with them and 2 with Detroit.
Charlie Osborne Flat Gap H.S (Johnson Co.) Charlie is currently the 2nd leading scorer in Kentucky H.S. basketball with 3,647 points behind King Kelly Coleman. Charlie played for Flat Gap in the mid 50's also. Rupp tried to get him at UK. He played at Western Kentucky and is currently 11th in scoring w/1,359 points and I think 10th in rebounding with 10.1 rpg. for his career at WKU. Charlie was drafted in the NBA by Syracuse and was injured in training camp and did not play in the NBA. Charlie died in a auto accident in 1979 in Johnson Co. I read an article that Charlie will be inducted into WKU's hall of fame sometime this year.
King Kelly Coleman
J.R. Vanhoose
Todd May
Jody Thompson
Bart Williams
A couple of more guys I left off the list
John Pelphrey Paintsville
Carroll Burchett Flat Gap H.S. played at UK 1959-64 scored 578 points
Howard Wallen Johnson Central played at Morehead
billy ray cassidy played for martin county high school back in the first half of the century and played at uk
"Old School" Wrote:A couple of more guys I left off the list
John Pelphrey Paintsville
Carroll Burchett Flat Gap H.S. played at UK 1959-64 scored 578 points
Howard Wallen Johnson Central played at Morehead
Howard Wallen was inducted into the Hall of Fame at Morehead this past weekend.
Todd May, Kelly Coleman, and JR Vanhoose are the top 3 players ever in the 15th region
"alfus21" Wrote:Todd May, Kelly Coleman, and JR Vanhoose are the top 3 players ever in the 15th region

How can you say May and Vanhose were the best ever? They were very good and should be listed near the top. Neither were drafted by the NBA .Butcher played in the NBA and Osborne was drafted but injured before the season started.

Coleman is the leading scorer in the state and Osborne is second. Even though
Coleman, Osborne and Butcher all played high school ball in the 50's you can't forget about them.
"Old School" Wrote:King Kelly Coleman
J.R. Vanhoose
Todd May
Jody Thompson
Bart Williams

Agree.
I grew up watching Jody Thompson play. Keith and Rodney Fuller from Feds Creek were good also. Thompson went on to play for UK. He was a good friend of mine and now I still talk to his dad all the time.
Pigg from Millard was an amazing player as well.
There's been a lot very good players from EKy. Didn't Larry Conley that was one of Rupps Runts and announces games for JP play high school ball for Ashland?
Conley is an Ashland native i believe.
JR Vanhoose from Paintsville was a dandy
Todd Tackett was to shabby either.