Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain teams All “A” favorites
http://fieldsnotes.bloginky.com/2009/01/...-matchups/

Posted by Mike Fields on January 25, 2009

Elliott County of the 16th Region, Shelby Valley of the 15th and Hazard of the 14th are rated 1-2-3 in this week’s boys’ Touchstone Energy All “A” Classic basketball tournament.

Elliott County is ranked No. 1 in the state overall, so it’s a no-brainer that Rick Mays’ team is the pick to win the small-school shootout at EKU’s McBrayer Arena.

University Heights Academy, which won its eighth All “A” title last year, didn’t make it out of the 2nd Region this year.

Here’s how the 16 boys’ teams are ranked by Dave Cantrall:

Elliott County (16th Region) 85.8
Shelby Valley (15th Region) 81.5
Hazard (14th Region) 77.7
Bardstown (5th Region) 69.8
Newport Catholic (9th Region) 68.5
Lexington Christian (11th Region) 65.6
Lyon County (2nd Region) 64.3
Murray (1st Region) 61.9
Danville (12th Region) 60.2
Shawnee (6th Region) 59.9
Edmonson County (3rd Region) 57.9
Clinton County (4th Region) 57.6
Pineville (13th Region) 57.1
Henry County (8th Region) 54.9
Calvary Christian (10th Region) 49.3
Whitefield Academy (7th Region) 46.2

BOYS’ FIRST ROUND ON JAN. 29 (Pairings are in bracket order. Quarterfinals on Jan. 30 starting at 5 p.m; semifinals on Jan. 31 starting at noon; finals on Feb. 1 at 3 p.m.)

Edmonson County vs. Lyon County, 9 a.m.
Bardstown vs. Lexington Christian, 10:30
Murray vs. Shawnee, noon
Clinton County vs. Hazard, 1:30
Calvary Christian vs. Pineville, 5 p.m.
Elliott County vs. Whitefield Academy, 6:30
Shelby Valley vs. Henry County, 8
Danville vs. Newport Central Catholic, 9:30
While it's a pretty safe bet that EC or SV comes out of one side..... The other side could be wide open.
Winner of SV and Elliott will win it all.
You've gotta give the Bulldogs a look. They were in the final game last year against UHA and would have won it with some better free throw shooting. I know it's a different year but, they have virtually the same team returning and have scorched their way through the region winning their last 2 games by an average of around 20.
Elliott County will roll..

They are alot better than alot of the 15th Region people on here are giving them credit for.
it will be between hazard & elliott co.
I am for Hazard all the way, of course!! I just hope Shelby Valley and Elliott Co. meet in the semi-finals, cause I am off work that day and would love to see that game!! Then hope the winner plays Hazard for the title!!Good luck to all and GO DAWGS!!!
airball3 Wrote:Elliott County will roll..

They are alot better than alot of the 15th Region people on here are giving them credit for.

Who? :confused:

If any team has call to claim that they are being overlooked on here, it is SV. Nearly all the posts I've read comparing the two teams, even those from SV supporters, give Elliott the edge. As do I.

I will, however, grant that Elliott has another advantage in this game that may allow them to win by a bigger margin, and that is the previous game for each team. While SV may have a battle on their hands against Newport Catholic in the second round, EC won't even break a sweat before Saturday. They will likely be the fresher team if the two do meet.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Who? :confused:

If any team has call to claim that they are being overlooked on here, it is SV. Nearly all the posts I've read comparing the two teams, even those from SV supporters, give Elliott the edge. As do I.

I will, however, grant that Elliott has another advantage in this game that may allow them to win by a bigger margin, and that is the previous game for each team. While SV may have a battle on their hands against Newport Catholic in the second round, EC won't even break a sweat before Saturday. They will likely be the fresher team if the two do meet.

I think this game is a draw. Valley could win this game, and win it fairly easy. All depends on their gameplan..... This coming from a diehard EC fan, that is just telling it like it is. All depends on Booher, Valley has the tools.
I think Hazard can win it.
letthebighogroot Wrote:I think this game is a draw. Valley could win this game, and win it fairly easy. All depends on their gameplan..... This coming from a diehard EC fan, that is just telling it like it is. All depends on Booher, Valley has the tools.

I have to agree with this post. Elisha and company just save some for the state tournament as you will probably meet again.
I would love to see this game take place too, but I really don't want to get ahead of ourselves. SV will likely face a tough Newport Catholic squad in the second round, and they may very well lose this game if they don't play well.

If they do win, I worry that the game against NCC may take a lot out of Valley's players, who would then have to turn around and battle a much fresher Elliott Co. the very next day.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
airball3 Wrote:Elliott County will roll..

Shelby Valley doesn't get credit by anyone but the 15th region. Elliott County is the favorite and rightly so. But, mark it down..they will not roll in this tournament if they meet the Wildcats of Shelby Valley.

They may win, but not "roll".