Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill Co. 51 - Owsley Co. 47
Estill Co. 51
Owsley Co. 47
Owsley Co. 16 10 11 10 47

Estill Co. 10 17 7 17 51

Owsley Co. -- Turner 8, Wright 13, T. Gilbert 7, Marshall 4, S. Gilbert 2, Combs 12, Wilson 1.
Estill Co. -- Hall 10, Alexander 12, A. Minix 8, Cole 19, Gould 2.

http://www.kentucky.com/601/story/613198...PIorderBy=
What happened to Owsley County in this game? Did Turner have an off night or get in foul trouble?
Well, you could say right from the start they Estill was wanting Turner out of the game, the refers called stupid fouls, some that Turner wasn't even involved in.

So you could say, they got what they wanted.
Lucky7 Wrote:What happened to Owsley County in this game? Did Turner have an off night or get in foul trouble?

Actually, Turner never even got the chance to play.. Somewhere around 1:30 in the entire game if i remember correctly. The sad part, is that atleast 3 of those fouls were bogus, and all it prooved was that the refs knew how to blow the whistle......on the away team that is! I dont think that Estill had anymore than 6 fouls called in either half.
one&onlybrain Wrote:Actually, Turner never even got the chance to play.. Somewhere around 1:30 in the entire game if i remember correctly. The sad part, is that atleast 3 of those fouls were bogus, and all it prooved was that the refs knew how to blow the whistle......on the away team that is! I dont think that Estill had anymore than 6 fouls called in either half.
If this is what happened that is sad. Owsley struggles when Turner is not in the game. She is one of the best players in the region. Sounds like Owsley had to play this game with one hand tied behind them. They're lucky they only lost by 4.

Who were the refs?
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:If this is what happened that is sad. Owsley struggles when Turner is not in the game. She is one of the best players in the region. Sounds like Owsley had to play this game with one hand tied behind them. They're lucky they only lost by 4.

Who were the refs?

That is exactly true, but that also proves that Owsley does have a lot of talent because they did hold there own and only lost by 4. But, that also means, that Estill could only beat them by 4.... And, Owsley beat them by 10. So, doesnt that mean that Owsley is still #1 in the district, regardless if they won or lost?? So, it's still a victory in my books! TongueirateSho

I dont remember who the officials were.
one&onlybrain Wrote:That is exactly true, but that also proves that Owsley does have a lot of talent because they did hold there own and only lost by 4. But, that also means, that Estill could only beat them by 4.... And, Owsley beat them by 10. So, doesnt that mean that Owsley is still #1 in the district, regardless if they won or lost?? So, it's still a victory in my books! TongueirateSho

I dont remember who the officials were.
Right now they still number 1 because they beat Estill by more points than Estill beat them. But Owsley still needs to beat Lee to nail everything down as a one seed.
Owsley played well without Turner. Turner did not play smart with foul trouble. She throws her hip and mid section out toward the dribbler. She got her fourth and her coach was arguing it. He didn't get her out, and she got her fifth the next play. I would say Owsley looks like the team to beat overall in a very tight district, but Turner was her own worst enemy in this game.
[quote=HOGWOLLOP]Owsley played well without Turner. Turner did not play smart with foul trouble. She throws her hip and mid section out toward the dribbler. She got her fourth and her coach was arguing it. He didn't get her out, and she got her fifth the next play. I would say Owsley looks like the team to beat overall in a very tight district, but Turner was her own worst enemy in this game.[/quote]

She does have a tendacy to make some unnecessary fouls evey game she plays; fouls that are easy to avoid. For instance, sometimes when a player has her beat to the basket for an easy layup, she will foul them instead of letting it go. She is going to have to understand that she is not expendable, and has to be in the game for the Lady Owls to have a chance to win a game like this one. She can't help when she's watching from the bench.
Well now I'm hearing another story about this game. That one ref went after Turner form the get-go. He called 3 iffy fouls on her and had her out of the game within the first minutes. She ended up playing about 5 minutes total. And when she went back in he called another quick one. And even without her in the game Owsley was still in position to win the game, and the same ref called two 3 second violations on Owsley late in the 4th qt. Sounds like he had an agenda to me. I will not name him here, but he is a long time 14th ref, over 20 years, that has never really moved up the ranks to the big games. He would never be put on an important boys game for sure. And he has a reputation as the 14th ref you want if you play an out of region team, someone who will gut the visitors, unmercilessly and unashameably. But to do this in an in region game makes no sense.

Maybe he just had a bad game. Who knows.
This game could have gone either way with or without Turner. There were some very questionable calls against not only Tuner but Owlsey as a whole. I believe that by the end of the first half Owlsey had been called for 7 or 8 fouls where as Estill had been charged with maybe 2 or three. It could have been more but I do know that Owlsey was not in the bonus, nor did they ever end there. Either way, the Lady Owls have bounced back from this, with an All "A" win over Wolfe, without Turner. They will be fine and I agree that they will be the team to beat come district tourney time.
Congrats Estill