Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 51 - Boone Co. 37
Wow, no way would I have guessed the margin of difference. No shocker that #3 beats #2, but not by 14! Looks like the Birds did a great job containing McFarland.

Boone Co. 10 11 10 6 37

Highlands 18 7 15 11 51

Boone Co. (10-3) -- Spaulding 1, Gabbard 8, McFarland 10, Cotton 4, Brown 4, Popp 6, Earls 4.
Highlands (12-3) -- Lother 6, Gordon 4, Kowolonek 16, Smith-Keller 2, Watson 2, Dill 8, Grote 11, Grubbs 2.
Quite the surprise.

Pburg players told me that Highlands plays sticky defense and forces a ton of turnovers holding my Blackcats to 28 points and now holding a top team in the state to 37.

Congrats Blue Birds!
Maybe McFarland was tired from playing for all of those years.Big Grin

Very nice win by the Birds.
Heading into the Northern Kentucky boys' basketball season, area coaches were sure about three things. Holmes was the best team ... by a lot. Boone County was the second-best team ... by a decent margin. And little separated the rest in the next tier.

Highlands, the area's hottest team this side of Holmes, seems to have emerged slightly from the mess. The Bluebirds, ranked third in the Enquirer poll, on Monday night increased their winning streak to seven games with a definitive 51-37 home victory over No. 2 Boone County.

"This gives us a lot of confidence; it's big," said Highlands junior Stephen Kowolonek. "We're looking forward to Holmes."
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...901130407/
Host Highlands (12-3), ranked 19th in the state and third in the 9th Region, knocked off No. 11 Boone County 51-37 on Monday night. Junior guard Stephen Kowolonek led the way for Highlands with 16 points. Boone, the No. 2 team in the region, fell to 10-3.