king360 Wrote::confused:
I Would Have To Agree
The Only Other Big Man As Good As Him Was Jon Bentley
And He Would Tear Bentley Up
Vertical Wrote:I Would Have To Agree
The Only Other Big Man As Good As Him Was Jon Bentley
And He Would Tear Bentley Up

Talking About Ryan Morgan Of Kcc
Shannon Hoskins no doubt. He didn't graduate from MC Napier but he went their for two years.
Vertical Wrote:Talking About Ryan Morgan Of Kcc

Never heard of him
He Is Tough
In my time Denny Fugate,Lonnie Morris,Larry Stamper,and in late times Tim Couch,Shannon Hoskins,Ben Bowling...Of course Knott County,Hindman and Hazard and Breathitt Co. had many in 50's and 60's so could not say who is really best just some you enjoyed watchiing play,Oh forgot Mikey Gibson!!!
I had no clue the 14th region produced so many great players.
Brian Howard from Whitesburg lead the Jackets to an Elite Eight apperance along with Brandon Brock and joined the 1000 pt. club at Transy and was voted the HCAC player of ther year. Also Dickie Adams from Letcher won a D-II Nat'l Championship.
bryan neace and his younger brother were both good travis
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:I had no clue the 14th region produced so many great players.

Me either. Hearing all of this history surprises me.
Hazard High School's Jim Rose...
Name: Jim Rose
Position: Guard
Height: 6-3 (1.90m)
Weight: N/A
College Team: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers
Nationality: American
Birthplace: Hazard, Kentucky
Birthdate: N/A
Drafted: Selected by the Boston Celtics in the second round (28th pick overall) of 1971 NBA Draft.

Johnny Cox played 3 seasons at Kentucky from 1957-1959, and is 18th on the all-time scoring list at UK with 1,461 points in 77 games for an average of 19.2 points per game for his carreer at UK. Was all SEC and all-NCAA regional all 3 years, and all-NCAA final four in 58', the year they won the title. Was a all american twice in 1957(3rd team) and 1959(1st team),

The best player in the 14th Region would probably be Johnny Cox based upon the fact that he won the state Championship, the National Championship and was a college All American.

An argument could also be made that Glen Combs from Carr Creek was the best player, because he was an ABA All Star for 3 years in 1971, 72 and 73. He is also in the Virginia Tech Hall of Fame.

Jim Rose of Hazard was all State Tournament as an 8th grader, played on a WKU team that defeated UK, and was a second round draft choice of the Boston Celtics.

Larry Stamper of Lee County went on to play for the University of Kentucky in the 60s.

Denny Fugate of M.C. Napier took M.C. Napier to the state tournament for the first time, and was absolutely the best point guard that ever played in this region.

Glenn Napier of MC Napier went on to Morehead State and averaged double figures in college.

Mike Sammons of Hazard was a great player and averaged over 20 points/game at Union College.

But for the best player, it has to be Johnny Cox with Glen Combs a close second.

**These are some names mentioned in another forum.
i agree with ryan morgan from kcc.. what an athlete
MVP2 Wrote:Johnny Cox-Hazard

Lead HHS to the state championship in 55' and went and played at UK, were he is like 18th or 17th all time scoring list.He played 3 years at UK and was All American twice. He won a Championship with UK in 58. I cant say Hes the best player Ive ever seen because I didnt get to see him play in person but Ive seen videos when he was @ UK.

JOHNNY COX GETS MY VOTE ALSO:ASK HIM WHO WAS THE BEST PLAYER HE

SAW AND HE WOULD PROBABLY SAY: KING "KELLY" COLEMAN FROM A

LITTLE TOWN (MAYBE WEYLAND,KY) RUPP SAID HE WAS THE BEST H.S.

PLAYER HE EVER SAW.
King Coleman from Wayland Ky. I think he had alot of personal problems and never panned out. They say he was a freak........
I believe King Kelly is the one they say could shoot the ball from anywhere in the gym and make the basket.
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:Then we have to mention Carl Wallace and Terry North from Hazard. These two guys were two of the best in the late 80's!! JMO

Carl Wallace could flat out play.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Hazard High School's Jim Rose...
Name: Jim Rose
Position: Guard
Height: 6-3 (1.90m)
Weight: N/A
College Team: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers
Nationality: American
Birthplace: Hazard, Kentucky
Birthdate: N/A
Drafted: Selected by the Boston Celtics in the second round (28th pick overall) of 1971 NBA Draft.

Johnny Cox played 3 seasons at Kentucky from 1957-1959, and is 18th on the all-time scoring list at UK with 1,461 points in 77 games for an average of 19.2 points per game for his carreer at UK. Was all SEC and all-NCAA regional all 3 years, and all-NCAA final four in 58', the year they won the title. Was a all american twice in 1957(3rd team) and 1959(1st team),

The best player in the 14th Region would probably be Johnny Cox based upon the fact that he won the state Championship, the National Championship and was a college All American.

An argument could also be made that Glen Combs from Carr Creek was the best player, because he was an ABA All Star for 3 years in 1971, 72 and 73. He is also in the Virginia Tech Hall of Fame.

Jim Rose of Hazard was all State Tournament as an 8th grader, played on a WKU team that defeated UK, and was a second round draft choice of the Boston Celtics.

Larry Stamper of Lee County went on to play for the University of Kentucky in the 60s.

Denny Fugate of M.C. Napier took M.C. Napier to the state tournament for the first time, and was absolutely the best point guard that ever played in this region.

Glenn Napier of MC Napier went on to Morehead State and averaged double figures in college.

Mike Sammons of Hazard was a great player and averaged over 20 points/game at Union College.

But for the best player, it has to be Johnny Cox with Glen Combs a close second.

**These are some names mentioned in another forum.
It would be hard to disagree with Johnny Cox being the best.
a player that was good in high school i think was the taulbee kid from lee co..he was in the class with tyler rich from lee co..he was one of the quickets players ive seen play and could pass and play defense like a mad man...he had a pure shot on him but didnt shoot it much
travis centers of KCC was a key player when todd craft played. of course ben bowling, he can still play, he is at georgetown college right now.

but my vote for all time best 14th region player goes to chris "peeper" jones of kcc. this man is the complete athlete. hands down.
High Sheriff Wrote:Carl Wallace could flat out play.

Amen!!
bentley, bowling, centers.

not in the 14th but a very good player but j.r. vanhoose always stands out when you talk about past players in the mountains. tackett as well.
High Sheriff Wrote:Carl Wallace could flat out play.

i agree he was the best athlete on the team but none of them could shoot the ball anywhere on the court like greg napier could jmo.
Bobby Dustin Ratliff KCC never played high school but is a street court legend!
Nefarious83 Wrote:Drew Davidson from Jackson City is by far the best to ever play in the 14th region.

no way drew davidson was the best 14th region player ever. hes not even close to being the best ever.
some i remember from my time.

pcc- Ben Bowling Clifford McIntyre Kent Campbell Billy Sumner, Dj Simms

hazard- Jon Bentley Jon Olinger

Letcher- Dixon boy. Don't remember his first name.

Kcc- Joey Caudill Travis Centers David Richardson Todd Craft Luke Hodson

Jbs- Osborne Twins George Potter

just a few right off my head
at the time of my graduation which was in 95 a long time ago i would say chad meade or jon bently was the best at hazard during this time.
Clark Stepp
Numbers Dont Lie
SteppUp Wrote:Clark Stepp
Numbers Dont Lie

Or do they????? Performance don't either!!!
hazard reject Wrote:i agree he was the best athlete on the team but none of them could shoot the ball anywhere on the court like greg napier could jmo.

I think Terry North was a better shooter than Napier. JMO
Hazard: Johnny Cox, Houston Hogg, Carl Wallace, Willie Combs, David Alexander, Jon Bentley and many more deserving of mention.

M.C. Napier: Denny Fugate, Glenn Napier, Carlos Combs, Darwin Whitiaker, Jeff Smith, Claude Cooper, Shannon Hoskins, Jeff Campbell and many more.

Dilce Combs: Heston beverly, Cavanaugh Trent, kevin campbell many more

Knott county: Herbie Stamper, Rose,

buckhorn: Kenneth Neace, Jody Noble several more

There have been many great players.....Ben Bowling may have had the most natural god given talent of any though at PCC.....I cant remember if Rodney Thompson was at M.C or PCC, maybe both with James Hurley, Tim Neace, DJ Simms