Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 players in the 15th region
thetribe Wrote:Maybe because he is pushing 7 feet and hasn't went up against any competition...

Bingo!
I know Jake has put up over 120 points this season, over 85 rebounds, and has shot as well as 90% in some games. I don't even have the stats from every single game and I know the boy has done this. He is a sophomore, Deven Adams is a senior. Hands down, he would be in my top 5 overall in the region. I would take him over the guards for East Ridge.

thetribe Wrote:Maybe because he is pushing 7 feet and hasn't went up against any competition...

They havent played any competition...I think they have played a little more than you thank. They played some good teams...in both of the tournaments over the holidays. Then they played Henry Clay and Walton, Ga. Maybe someone is just mad because SV beat ER.
e.justice
t.hatfield
i.welch
m.burchett
d.adams
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:They havent played any competition...I think they have played a little more than you thank. They played some good teams...in both of the tournaments over the holidays. Then they played Henry Clay and Walton, Ga. Maybe someone is just mad because SV beat ER.

Shelby Valley has played some good teams, but the argument is that Devan Adams has done nothing against big competition. I know of 4 big men in the 15th that I would rather have on my team than him.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:They havent played any competition...I think they have played a little more than you thank. They played some good teams...in both of the tournaments over the holidays. Then they played Henry Clay and Walton, Ga. Maybe someone is just mad because SV beat ER.

Unless you traveled to those games, which most of us obviously did not, then we've never seen Adams go against competition. No one competes with his height in our region and yet he can be slowed down dramatically on the inside. I believe McClanahan showed just that. They have played good teams, but Florida doesn't count as their competition here in this region. What were Adams' numbers down there? What are any of his stats for the season? I'm not mad at all that Shelby Valley beat East Ridge, in fact I stated "On paper Shelby Valley should be a hands down winner"... I think logically, I don't have that my team is almighty and will every game complex at all. I'm not trying to take anything away from Valley's team whatsoever, I just know that McClanahan is a force to be reckoned with. That's the whole point of this thread, top five players...

I'd take Curby Tackett and Adams over McClanahan any day of the week. Of course, they're both seniors and McClanahan has a couple of years to develop. Just my opinion though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would really like to know Adams' numbers for the year if anyone has them/can get them. I've not seen any of his stats from any game.

:eek: Shelby Valley has played a very tough schedule up to this point in the season, especially when compared to other teams in the region.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote::eek: Shelby Valley has played a very tough schedule up to this point in the season, especially when compared to other teams in the region.

They have only play two 15th region teams. They may have had a tough schedule but those games really don't show how he stacks up against mountain teams in comparison.

thetribe Wrote:I would really like to know Adams' numbers for the year if anyone has them/can get them. I've not seen any of his stats from any game.

There's been stats posted for several SV games.

East Ridge - 11 points, 2 rebounds, 2 blocks
Poinciana, FL - 18 points, 3 rebounds
American Heritage, FL - 4 points, 7 rebounds
Lakeland, FL - 12 points, 5 rebounds, 2 blocks
Pikeville - 12 points, 4 rebounds
Walton, GA - 14 points...5 rebounds...3 blocks
Henry Clay - 14 points, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks

Shelby Valley doesn't have to rely and Devan to carry the load because Curby Tackett is really helpful off the bench. The scoring is balanced for this team, and if they needed to rely on him more his statistics would reflect that.

Also, when comparing statistics it is really easy to see how someone like McClanahan has racked up his stats. Shelby Valley doesn't or hasn't gotten the chance to play cupcakes like Haysi, Hurley, Tazewell, or Big Creek. It's easy for numbers to suddenly be inflated vs. that competition.

It's all a matter of opinion, but I'm sure most non biased viewers would take Devan Adams over McClanahan in most cases. There is no point arguing who the better of the two players is because it would just go back and forth like this, but it will be interesting to see them match up again later in the season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks, I hadn't saw those anywhere and couldn't find them on KHSAA. Seems like he does score pretty well and you are right, Valley doesn't have to depend on him to be a big scorer. At the same time though, he doesn't even have a lot of rebounds or blocks and as a center, that IS his job. Just from seeing McClanahan play this season and his numbers, he is an all-around player. East Ridge doesn't have to depend on him to score but it helps that he can post those kinds of numbers up. He gets a good number of rebounds and he's not the only guy playing inside of the paint either.

thetribe Wrote:I know Jake has put up over 120 points this season, over 85 rebounds, and has shot as well as 90% in some games. I don't even have the stats from every single game and I know the boy has done this. He is a sophomore, Deven Adams is a senior. Hands down, he would be in my top 5 overall in the region. I would take him over the guards for East Ridge.
After looking at the stats on East Ridges page on the KHSAA website, he only shot 90% in one game, 9-10 against Belfry. For the rest of the stat pages, he has shot 41-58 which is 70%, but 4 of the games that is figured into he shot either less than 50% or not enough shots to count on the page. According to the KHSAA website, this season Jake has shot 52-82, which is 63.4% from the field.
thetribe Wrote:Unless you traveled to those games, which most of us obviously did not, then we've never seen Adams go against competition. No one competes with his height in our region and yet he can be slowed down dramatically on the inside. I believe McClanahan showed just that. They have played good teams, but Florida doesn't count as their competition here in this region. What were Adams' numbers down there? What are any of his stats for the season? I'm not mad at all that Shelby Valley beat East Ridge, in fact I stated "On paper Shelby Valley should be a hands down winner"... I think logically, I don't have that my team is almighty and will every game complex at all. I'm not trying to take anything away from Valley's team whatsoever, I just know that McClanahan is a force to be reckoned with. That's the whole point of this thread, top five players...
I traveled to Flordia, 17 hours on a bus even. I have all the game films from down there if you would like to see the competition they played against. I think you would agree it was better competition than is here in the 15th. In Flordia he went 16-23 from the field, which is 69.5%. I dont have stats for the season, but I will try to get them. Also keep in mind, Deven only plays roughly half a game. Last season, Deven averaged a double double over the course of the season in a season he pretty much played every second possible. This year, not as much is needed from him because he has help in the paint.

thetribe Wrote:They have only play two 15th region teams. They may have had a tough schedule but those games really don't show how he stacks up against mountain teams in comparison.

East Ridge has only played 5 15th region teams, with a record of 3 wins and 2 loses against 15th region teams. Every 15th region team East Ridge has played so far with a winning record, East Ridge has lost. Every game they played where the opponents had a losing record, they won.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Stats for Shelby Valley are not individually that impressive because they have good balance. Typically Elisha, Ashley, and Deven will have the most points, but you will have some games where other players step up their scoring (like Curby's 18 against Pikeville). That is part of what makes them successful. SV has eight players capable of putting up double figures in any given game, but it's not going to happen every game. Deven Adams is an important piece of the puzzle for Shelby Valley...
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I think you would agree it was better competition than is here in the 15th.

I do.

BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Also keep in mind, Deven only plays roughly half a game.
Jake doesn't play every minute either...

BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:East Ridge has only played 5 15th region teams, with a record of 3 wins and 2 loses against 15th region teams. Every 15th region team East Ridge has played so far with a winning record, East Ridge has lost. Every game they played where the opponents had a losing record, they won.

And this proves what? That Shelby Valley is a better team? Which I have never argued... This is thread is about individual players so that's a moot point.

thetribe Wrote:I do.

And this proves what? That Shelby Valley is a better team? Which I have never argued... This is thread is about individual players so that's a moot point.
If it is a moot point, why did you bring up about SV only playing 2 region games?

I think putting up basically the same percentage and other stats playing better competition would mean one is a better player than the other. But you can think what you want.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Just to say that we haven't got to see Valley in action against region teams, therefore haven't saw Adams play against region teams.

So the title of thread should have been "top 5 players in the 15th region against 15th region teams"?
i dont think MaClanahan is that good due to the cupcake scheduling and every game ive seen him play he doesnt finish very well...i know he is only a sophmore but being 15-16 years old and being that tall u should be able to finish under the goal cuz he has played basketball for a while hasnt he???...and i would pick adams over him!!!

my top 5:

Justice- Valley
Celevinger- Pikeville
Welch- Johnson Central
Burchett- P-burg
Stiltner- Phelps (maybe after seeing him play with better competition)
To be honest, I'd rather have Adams, but neither has impressed me too much yet. Adams is on a better team so he doesn't have to do as much though. The ER kid has done nothing, and to be honest is just a big body. Yeah he might have nice stats in some games, but him and Adams are the only tall kids in this region that play. So what if he can get blocks and rebounds against 6 footers. From what i have seen of him, he is clumsy and uncoordinated. Not bashing him, but he is nowhere near the top 5 in the region.
thetribe Wrote:I do.

Maybe Mclanahan does have better stats... But the reason he has better stats is because East Ridge doesn't play the competition that Valley does and the biggest reason is that Devan doesn't have to get every rebound or score every point... There are so many good rebounders and scorers on Valley's team that their stats are never going to be inflated. Just because Jake has better head to head stats doesn't mean he is a better player. More factors should be considered. I'm sure Devan would be a force if you stuck him on East Ridge's team and let him play the same schedule. I do think Mclanahan has great potential and is already a really good player, I just think this year I would rather have Devan.
runninrebs21 Wrote:To be honest, I'd rather have Adams, but neither has impressed me too much yet. Adams is on a better team so he doesn't have to do as much though. The ER kid has done nothing, and to be honest is just a big body. Yeah he might have nice stats in some games, but him and Adams are the only tall kids in this region that play. So what if he can get blocks and rebounds against 6 footers. From what i have seen of him, he is clumsy and uncoordinated. Not bashing him, but he is nowhere near the top 5 in the region.

Sorry to disagree, but I have watched both numerous times this season and they are both very much in the conversation of top 5 in the region.
LC Frazior and Skaggs are very good ball players considering they are Junior and sophmore
Elisha Justice - Shelby Valley
2. Ashley Hatfield - Shelby Valley
3. Mike Dale - Johnson Central
4. Matt Clevenger - Pikeville
5. Taylor Newsome - Shelby Valley
6. Michael Burchett - Prestonsburg

Dale could be the best player on Johnson Central's team if he was given the chance to play.Welch is alright but plays out of control , Joe whitaker is a better play in my book.
cody parker from JC has to be in the top 5 with welch