Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell gets chewed by the DAWGS
Russell looses for the first time this year in a shootout with Lawrence County. LC was a great team and the kids are all athletic. Best over-all team we had seen all year. They are really talented and will have a tough game today with Fort Gay.
Lawrence County 30
Russell 20
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I thought this game would be close. I was suprised by the score. I thought Russell would take this one. Raceland lost to Lawrence in the Mckell tourney after blowing a 12 point lead. I think Lawrence Russell and Raceland are pretty evenly matched. I like playing both teams. Raceland lost 37-19 to the 14 year old 5th graders of Ft. Gay. Their coach took great pains to let everybody know that every kid on the team except the big tall #11 was a 5th grader. Heck I could be a 5th grader, but I'm 41 years old. With that said Raceland still laid a huge egg in this one, Which we are very capable of doing in any given game.
I think the one kid drove the bus there. It kills me seeing this... The new rule for Kentucky is if you have 2 grades in middle school you get 2 years of elligibilty. no more holding back in the 7th and 8th grade and with some programs you see only freshman and sophomores playing high school sports is beacue they are 19 and inthe 10th grade... Yea you can argue what you want about Fort Gay, I do not think that they are 11-12 year olds....Hey thats just my opinion but if you saw them you would know. 14 has a mustache and his arms are bigger than half the parents in the stands....
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Oh and we did not play well last night at all. My son had a terrible game last night, he could not drop a turd in the pot if he was sitting on it last night.
We played terrible, love to have another game with them.... Great game other than we were flat... Dont get me wrong... LC played a great game and their kids are wonderful. The coach is very good too. he did well last night... Great Job Lil Dawgs on a great win.
This is the problem when you go to the east part of the state. We played a team from Lay Elem a couple of weeks ago and they had a kid that i would so is in his soph. year unless I seen his birth cert. I understand that kids grow a little quickier than others but come on you could look at him and tell there is no one he was in the sixth grade. This is why you don't see any of these kids at the state championship because they are to old. Oh well enough of that congrats on the win LC to bad we couldn't see either Russell or LC at our tourny tomorrow.
LAWARENCE COUNTY WINS THE BOYD CO TOURNAMENT!!!!!! WINNING 3 GAMES OVER BOYD #1 RUSSELL AND FORT GAY WV. The Dawgs have still not lost to a 6th grade team in Kentucky and are still undefeated at home. Enough braging for now. Russell is a very good team the best 11 and 12 year old team that LC has seen this year. The Messer kid is probably the best player that we have faced. He defends well rebounds well and runs the floor well. The one ref. kind of lost control of the game he T-up the Russell and put a blind man out of the gym by the arms. I have never seen a Ref. act that way! The other ref. done a good job. For the Raceland fan if you play Ft. Gay your are going to play 13 and 14 year olds at some time. Now the majority of their players are 12 year olds as they play in the same little leauge baseball as the LC kids. We have played Ft. Gay 3 times this year they beat us 16 at Ft. Gay we beat them 10 at LC. They added a couple of players to their team since we last played. One of the kids they added is a 7th grader and get this he does not even go to Ft. Gay School. He goes to school in Kentucky.
I was told by the coach of the ft.gay team that all of those kids except for #11 were in the 5th grade. I don't think I have ever heard of a 12 year old 5th grader. I'm glad you beat them. I'm not making excuses for our Raceland team we played awful and deserved to get beat. I just don't think there is any place in basketball where you should get older players just to win a tournament.
12 is old for a 5th grader, but we have played several teams with kids that age. That would make them 15 in the 8th grade and 19 their senior year. This is not that uncommon to see.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I think the one kid drove the bus there. It kills me seeing this... The new rule for Kentucky is if you have 2 grades in middle school you get 2 years of elligibilty. no more holding back in the 7th and 8th grade and with some programs you see only freshman and sophomores playing high school sports is beacue they are 19 and inthe 10th grade... Yea you can argue what you want about Fort Gay, I do not think that they are 11-12 year olds....Hey thats just my opinion but if you saw them you would know. 14 has a mustache and his arms are bigger than half the parents in the stands....

First I have heard of it.

Absolutely no way to enforce it, as I would be shocked if the KHSAA is going to get back involved with MS sports because of the lawsuits it caused last time. WV also has that rule, and a lot more rules that no one follows.

Our conference has a rule that they cannot be 15 before August 1st of their 8th grade year, which coincides with not turning 19 before August of their Sr. year.

Simple way to fix Ft. Gay is not to play them.
My son is in the 5th grade and is 12. This is very common in alot of schools. The difference is my son plays up in competition where as most play down. Holding a kid back does not make them good. If that kid uses that year to work then they will benefit if not then he/she should have never have stayed back.
new o Wrote:My son is in the 5th grade and is 12. This is very common in alot of schools. The difference is my son plays up in competition where as most play down. Holding a kid back does not make them good. If that kid uses that year to work then they will benefit if not then he/she should have never have stayed back.

Exactly. When our parents come and complain about playing bigger stronger kids that are holdbacks I tell them they have that opportunity too.

I used to get some mean looksSmile
I beleave it is fine to play up if you want to. But I beleave a kid should have one year in each grade to play sports. If they play 6th grade football, basketball or any other sport one year then they must move on to the next level the following. If they decide to hold back then they must still play at the seventh grade level the following year. Maybe we should call them 11 and 12 year old teams instead of a 6th grade team
NEXT Wrote:First I have heard of it.

Absolutely no way to enforce it, as I would be shocked if the KHSAA is going to get back involved with MS sports because of the lawsuits it caused last time. WV also has that rule, and a lot more rules that no one follows.

Our conference has a rule that they cannot be 15 before August 1st of their 8th grade year, which coincides with not turning 19 before August of their Sr. year.

Simple way to fix Ft. Gay is not to play them.

I always just assumed that was what the rule was for everybody's middle school athletics. Are there really people who hold their kids back knowing that they will not be able to play their senior year in high school? I have a 6th grader who was held back and is 12, but he plays with kids who were not held back on his team and they are 12 as well.

Quote:he could not drop a turd in the pot if he was sitting on it last night.
..and this is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. I may have to use that one. Smile
ARE all of the boys on the LC team from the same 6th grade or are they from different schools??? Not trying to start anything. we got beat and we deserved to loose. I was just wondering if they all go the same school, the same 6th grade??
Just wondering. How many kids does LC have inthe 6th grade too, just wondering??
holding your kid back may seem unfair, however that is how the game is played now days. It goes back to how important is sports to you, for the ones that it is really important to its not that big of deal, however if your having your kids play just to be playing I could see why you're upset. If you look at the nationally AAU circuit, nike, adidas, show case events or check with rivals top 150, or scout.com top 100 these kids are usually older than their classmates. By different state rules parents have to hold their kid back at earlier ages so they don't lose high school eligiblity, this makes them look like they're playing down but in summer ball it is extremely competitive, and that is where you get recruited from not school ball. However it is an individual choice, and I don't feel you can be mad at or criticise others for being more serious.
i'm pretty sure the rules for holdbacks are decided by the local school boards.
The KHSAA does not regulate middle school sports...There are no age limits or stipulations on how many years you can play in middle school...They are a high school association and regulate high school sports...The way they address what you guys are talking about is by putting an age limitation on how old you can be to play high school athletics...

No offense to my Russell bretheren but don't complain about the age, etc of the teams you play...Its your decision to play them...If Fort Gay plays older kids and that bothers you, don't play them...My question to everyone is, are you sure they are older?? Have you seen birth certificates?? Maybe they were held back a year or it could be they are legit...

Here are 2 examples off the top of my head of Russell players who turned heads...When my son was 10 he had a 6 foot 200 pound kid on his JFL football team...This kid was 9 years old and skilled for a kid that size and so young...His name was Channing Keyser...He decided that he didn't want to play sports a few years later and that was a shame because he turned out to be about 6'7" 280 pounds...Another kid who many thought drove the bus to 6th grade basketball games because he was over 6 feet tall and weighed 200 pounds was Seth Harvey...I believe he was not held back either...Its a shame he moved away...

Enjoy your kids' success but keep it in perspective...It's 6th grade fellas...10 years from now you'll only really think about these accomplishments when you wipe the dust off the trophies you rarely notice on the mantle or find in a box in the garage...Cherish your kids and enjoy the ride...It ends way too quickly...
All of the 6th graders go to the Louisa Middle School the 5th graders go to Louisa grade school. Lawarence County has only one middle school for 6, 7, and 8th. None of their players come from the other feeder schools like Fallsburg, or Blaine. I do not know haw many kids they have in the 6th grade. These kids and parents do this on their own too, they get no support from the school system other than they can use the gym. The parents have to take them to all the games no bus, the team pays for their uniforms, shoes, entry fees, ect. If the 7 and 8th grade is playing in Johnson Co. they take a school bus the parents of the 11 & 12 year olds have to drive their kids to the game. Of course we could hold them back and then they could drive themself's to the games
I don't see a problem holding kids back, but when it comes to holding them back just to win FOR YOURSELF AND NOT THE KIDS this is when I have a problem against it. If the child is a little behind in school no problem but don't live your life through your children.
How ma ny kids are in the 6th grade at LC ??
I dont think it is a good thing to hold kids back just for sports. If they are really having trouble in school then they should be held back to get the help they need. Face it most of the kids will not make the high school team and even less will go on the play college. So encourage the kids to get all the education they can and if they happen to make it in sports then that is great too.