Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lex- Herald 2008 "Class of the Commonwealth"
Charlie Banks, Zack Lewis, Tyler Olinger,Hunter Adams, and Ricky Bowling were named to the 22-man Lexington Herald -Leaders "Class of the Commonwealth" which honors the top senior players in the entire state . 5 out of 22 is quite an accomplishment for the mountain kids
Congrats to all. Big honor. Keep up the work in college.
Congrats to these seniors. Good picks.
Interesting lack of respect for special teams play. Merrick of Bell County outpaced all of these guys as the top vote-getter in CJ All-State Team (Coaches Poll) and was #1 vote getter....first time in 86 years a kicker/punter got this honor....but no consideration for the Lexington list!!
BellCoBobcat Wrote:Interesting lack of respect for special teams play. Merrick of Bell County outpaced all of these guys as the top vote-getter in CJ All-State Team (Coaches Poll) and was #1 vote getter....first time in 86 years a kicker/punter got this honor....but no consideration for the Lexington list!!

Good points
BellCoBobcat Wrote:Interesting lack of respect for special teams play. Merrick of Bell County outpaced all of these guys as the top vote-getter in CJ All-State Team (Coaches Poll) and was #1 vote getter....first time in 86 years a kicker/punter got this honor....but no consideration for the Lexington list!!

Would you consider Stephen Gostkowski one of the top 22 players in the NFL?

There is little to no correlation between being voted all-state for a particular position and being one of the 22 best players. Merrick is th most well known and most heralded kicker in the state... who else would the coaches have picked for the kicker instead. But, if two coaches had to pick 11 players each out of the entire state for a pickup game I don't think Merrick would make the cut.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Would you consider Stephen Gostkowski one of the top 22 players in the NFL?

There is little to no correlation between being voted all-state for a particular position and being one of the 22 best players. Merrick is th most well known and most heralded kicker in the state... who else would the coaches have picked for the kicker instead. But, if two coaches had to pick 11 players each out of the entire state for a pickup game I don't think Merrick would make the cut.

Keep in mind we are talking about High School football players, it certainly does not parlay into pro players and most often doesn't even parlay into college players. It is just pointing out the best HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS. Keep it in check and everything will be fine. HIGH SCHOOL.
I think he should be on the list, but I guess they are picking the best players and not a team. If they picked a team surely he would the Kicker!
Congrats to all the mountain boys that made the list. Merrick is a phenom but everybody knows that kickers never get the recognition just the blame. Merrick is a top notch player and will do wonderful things at the next level but I hope he doesn't expect recognition because kickers never get it.
tradition Wrote:Keep in mind we are talking about High School football players, it certainly does not parlay into pro players and most often doesn't even parlay into college players. It is just pointing out the best HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS. Keep it in check and everything will be fine. HIGH SCHOOL.

I am illustrating a point.. not comparing High School kids to the PRO's.

Merrick is hands down the best kicker in the State, but he is not IMO one of the Top 25 or 30 players in the state. Heck, if I had my choice of picking players from Bell County to put on my team I would choose Zachary and Greer before Merrick.
The "Class of the Commonwealth" is the 22 ATHLETES that are thought to be the best seniors. They are not picked to play a particular position or place on a team. They are recognized for stats they compiled, college interest, ect. You need to read the article that goes with the listings
Full article: http://www.kentucky.com/802/story/639539.html
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Would you consider Stephen Gostkowski one of the top 22 players in the NFL?

Unless 22 other players get D-1 scholarships, Merrick is one of the 22 best players in the state, period.
jetpilot Wrote:Unless 22 other players get D-1 scholarships, Merrick is one of the 22 best players in the state, period.

Is there anyway to find out how many kids in Kentucky get D-1 scholarships every year? Maybe someone has a site or a link that has that info.