Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell Boys 6th grade B-Ball
Russell defeated Ashland Hager tonight in the first round of the Boyd County tourney. This was the rematch from last years championship game at the Ashland City Tourney. Funny how a neutural court will make a difference. Russell played every kid tonight and pretty much doubled up the score on Hager. I think the final was 31 to 15. Alot of team play tonight, good passes, good hustle. They are playing alot better now and are improving well as they go. Would love to see Elliot Co and us match up. I hear that they are the best in the area... Would be a good game to see.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Russell needs to play somebody, last season Elliott County was supposed to be good and got crushed at the 6th grade middle school state tourney early in the tournament. Don't get carried away until you play someone that can play. Elliott County lost 60-12 to LTMS.
Isn't russell boys an collective group from the whole 6th grade, where hager is just 1 school team out of 7 elementary schools
From watching Elliott Co. earlier this year, it looks like their main class is this years 6th graders (some look so young it wouldnt shock me if some were 5th). So last years 6th grade team would be made of 5th (or maybe even 4th)graders playing up. Even getting beat by alot in the 6th middle school tournament isn't too bad when your so young.

In the 7th grade game this year against us, they used their 6th grade team and added 1 player which im guessing was their only 7th grader. Most of these 6th graders also dress for the 8th and from what i saw, 1 of them (the point guard) starts. They have some small and young but really talented players for sure.
sports_report Wrote:Isn't russell boys an collective group from the whole 6th grade, where hager is just 1 school team out of 7 elementary schools

Ashland has 7 grades schools???
And yes we are THE 6th grade team. All of our kids are in the same school, we do not have the numbers as Ashland as you may know 3A to 5A in high school but I can see your point. I did not mean anything mean against the kids but the game last year was terrible. When you have parents of the Hager kids apologizing for the game and the way it was called....that should tell you something...
And before anyone starts on a rant about this post. please don't... I was only posting the score and the results of the tourney that I know........

We play again Saturday.....
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
aauhoops Wrote:Russell needs to play somebody, last season Elliott County was supposed to be good and got crushed at the 6th grade middle school state tourney early in the tournament. Don't get carried away until you play someone that can play. Elliott County lost 60-12 to LTMS.

Russell plays who is on their schedule and after the regular season we can play who ever we want,, so if you are interested in playing us,,, We have a GYM !!!!!!
Lets see what we can do !!!!!!!
DEVILOLOGIST, who has the best 6th grade down your way? I am not for sure down in the 15th region but they say Johns Creek in undefeated. I know they have a 6'4 5th grader. As for the rest of the teams Virgie is OK but our top 2 players plays on the 8th grade team that is 10-2. One starts and the other is the 6th man. If I could organize a 15th region/16th region shootout for 6th grade(one day event) would you be interested? Maybe 5 teams from each area?
Wesley Christian would like to play in a tourney like that.
I will try to work something out. I will keep you informed Eagle42. We could have it at Virgie Middle.
we also have a gym , and we are in the middle somewhat.
sports_report Wrote:Isn't russell boys an collective group from the whole 6th grade, where hager is just 1 school team out of 7 elementary schools

I counted the boys today in the school and there are 72 boys in this class, I think their is 130 kids total inthe class. A small class. Only 30 boys play sports that I can see. This is baseball, football and basketball and Soccer. Not very many boys play sports inthis class, so you are looking at 30 kids that play......Not many to choose from.
From all that I have been reading so far on this site about the 6th grade teams no one has mentioned the Lawrence County Dawgs. They beat Highlands at Highlands, beat Dorton, Pikeville 2 times, Salyersville Grade School, beat Raceland, Martin County, They should meet Russel on New Years Day in the Boyd Co. Tournament. It should be a great game. Oh, and all of their players are 12 years old or less.
And yes the same goes for Russell, but I can ALSO say that not only are they 12 years old or less, BUT they were all in the 5th grade last year and none were held back... I do know from playing baseball and football against Lawrence Co, that one of the boys was in 6th grade last year from there and prolly the best athlete in that class. BUT it does not matter, I can have 12 kids from the 7th grade team stay and play down on the 6th grade team and still say that all of the boys are 12 years or under..... Believe me I know that the game on the 1st at 7:15 will be a good one to watch.......
Just speaking out of turn but if a kid is in the 6th grade and they turn 13 before the 7th grade they are actually considered a holdback, even if they just started school late. Some people say "I have no holdbacks", but the ages of the kids are that of a holdback.
Lawarence County has split with Ft. Gay this year each winning at home. And all of Lawarence County's players were in the 4th or 5th grade last year, and the 3ird and 4th the year before that. I only know of one holdback that played football this year and he broke his foot at Russel. He has never played basketball with this group of kids.
new o Wrote:DEVILOLOGIST, who has the best 6th grade down your way? I am not for sure down in the 15th region but they say Johns Creek in undefeated. I know they have a 6'4 5th grader. As for the rest of the teams Virgie is OK but our top 2 players plays on the 8th grade team that is 10-2. One starts and the other is the 6th man. If I could organize a 15th region/16th region shootout for 6th grade(one day event) would you be interested? Maybe 5 teams from each area?

Get it together and Belfry could bring 2 teams. We have 6 total 5/6th grade teams.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I counted the boys today in the school and there are 72 boys in this class, I think their is 130 kids total inthe class. A small class. Only 30 boys play sports that I can see. This is baseball, football and basketball and Soccer. Not very many boys play sports inthis class, so you are looking at 30 kids that play......Not many to choose from.

130 kids in a class isn't considered small around here. We only have 375-380 kids K-8, with only 30 6th graders. 15 or 16 boys total. Those numbers make it hard to compete year in and year out with the bigger schools.

Is it AAU that you were talking about playing after the season?
We dont play AAU, or we have not played AAU basketball. After the school season is over schools put together kids and play for about 30 days of tourneys with other schools, due to the fact of multiple middle schools. Like we play Rock Hill ohio who has an interleague program, but after the fact they put together a great team from all of their boys and travel around to local tourneys..... And I did not mean to upset people on here about numbers. We are a 3A school and we compete against Boyd County who has 45 kids on their 6th grade team. Now granted they split their up for this tourney and gives everyone the chance to play, which is good. But we have also played them in regular season and played an A and B game. with a total of 11 kids on our team. So 5 kids played the entire B game and 6 played the entire A game, but they still had 20 kids on a team.... It is tough when you have that kinda numbers to get playing time........ We run into this around here. Raceland is 1-A and has a few kids that play sports but they are very talented kids, Ashland, Boyd and Greenup have alot of kids but they donot always come out to play. I know Greenup Wurtland and McKell will be tough when they combine, which I hear is this coming football year.

Now back to our class. I was just pointing out that this 6th grade class is a small class at Russell, the 7th and the 5th behind us has more kids,
and for the hold back comment for the DAWGS,,,,,, DAWGFAN 82,,,,,, I was saying that the kids from Lawrence Co were talking about him before we played you guys in baseball this year.... For one, he is a very good athlete and did well. Now I apologize for jumping to conclusions about him playing basketball with this crew...... and for that I am Sorry !!!
I shold have kept my wits about myself and not commented like that,, I respect the coaches and kids from there,, they are great competitors........ I actually talked to a LC coach at the game in Boyd, I met him during baseball, and he helped in football against us this year and now in basketball, I can not remember his name but he is about 6'3" 250 pounds, black hair and goatee. He is a great guy and very respected..

So I apologize if I offended anyone......
I think it is better for both teams when they are evenly matched. I don't think the winner or the loser gets much out of 40 to 10 win or loss. But sometimes you just can't help it you never know when you show up what to expect at the middle school level. And I will agree with you that Ft. Gay has a very good team they play hard from the tip-off to the buzzer they go 100% if their up 20 or down 20. If you are looking for good teams there at Russel in this area I would have to say that Lawarence County, Ft. Gay, Highlands (Johnson Co.) and Salyersville Grade School all have good teams and play hard. As far as the holdbacks go we played a team in Johnson County were the players drove themselves home after the game. It is hard to determine your talent level as 11 and 12 year olds when your playing 14 and 15 year olds.
I agree with ya. We played a team that had to start a little later becasue the Guards wife had not gotten off wotk to pick up the kids so he could get to the game on time. LOLOLOLOL.... But i agree, you never know what or who you are playing against at this level.....
The coach you are talking about is most likely Greg Kiser our 2nd in command, Tim Parsons is the head coach but he does not go to many baseball or football games. He lives and bleeds basketball. We are lucky to have him he as spent alot of time with these boys, and he does not have A kid or relative on the team. He donates his time and never complains about it at all. I guess you could say that he considers all of them his boys. We will probaly play close to 30 games this year and in about 7-10 tourments. Russell has good talent you guys should look at playing in some of these tourments. And if you want to sechedule a game with Lawarence County just get a hold Greg Kiser he does all the secheduling for the 6th grade team. JUST 2 DAYS AWAY FROM THE BIG GAME! I will have to say that I beleave that the winner of this game Russell and Lawarence County will the Boyd Co tournament.
Lawrence County 6th grade defeated Paintsville 7th grade tonight 26 to 18 the Dawgs are still undefeated at home this year!!!
We play our 8th grade team today at 11, this is a scrimmage of course but I am hoping that they do well.
Good luck tonight playing the 8th graders it is always fun when the younger kids do well against the older kids. And on the holdback issue I dont really think it matters what grade they are in but how old they are a 12 year 6th grader is no different than a 12 year old 7th grader. The problem I see is when you a have 5 foot 75 pound 11 year trying to take a charge from 6 foot 150 pound 13 or 14 year old. At the sixth grade level. Now granted there are some good size 12 years but they are not as agressive as the 13 and 14 year olds. Fairland has a Kid that was about 5' 10 to 6 foot and weigh about 180 last year as a 5th grader. And he was a true 5th grader 11 years old.

IF ANY ONE IS THE ASHLAND AREA TOMMOROW YOU COME BY BOYD CO SCHOOL AND THE 4 TEAMS PLAYING YOU WILL SEE FOUR GOOD TEAMS IT WILL BE WELL WORTH YOUR 3 OR 4 BUCKS.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:We dont play AAU, or we have not played AAU basketball. After the school season is over schools put together kids and play for about 30 days of tourneys with other schools, due to the fact of multiple middle schools. Like we play Rock Hill ohio who has an interleague program, but after the fact they put together a great team from all of their boys and travel around to local tourneys..... And I did not mean to upset people on here about numbers. We are a 3A school and we compete against Boyd County who has 45 kids on their 6th grade team. Now granted they split their up for this tourney and gives everyone the chance to play, which is good. But we have also played them in regular season and played an A and B game. with a total of 11 kids on our team. So 5 kids played the entire B game and 6 played the entire A game, but they still had 20 kids on a team.... It is tough when you have that kinda numbers to get playing time........ We run into this around here. Raceland is 1-A and has a few kids that play sports but they are very talented kids, Ashland, Boyd and Greenup have alot of kids but they donot always come out to play. I know Greenup Wurtland and McKell will be tough when they combine, which I hear is this coming football year.
Now back to our class. I was just pointing out that this 6th grade class is a small class at Russell, the 7th and the 5th behind us has more kids,
and for the hold back comment for the DAWGS,,,,,, DAWGFAN 82,,,,,, I was saying that the kids from Lawrence Co were talking about him before we played you guys in baseball this year.... For one, he is a very good athlete and did well. Now I apologize for jumping to conclusions about him playing basketball with this crew...... and for that I am Sorry !!!
I shold have kept my wits about myself and not commented like that,, I respect the coaches and kids from there,, they are great competitors........ I actually talked to a LC coach at the game in Boyd, I met him during baseball, and he helped in football against us this year and now in basketball, I can not remember his name but he is about 6'3" 250 pounds, black hair and goatee. He is a great guy and very respected..

So I apologize if I offended anyone......
If Mckell and Wurtland combine it will be for football only.
Thanks KOSAR for the info, I did not know if they were combining in all sports or just football.. Thanks again......
I hope they do combine their kids in every sport so more kids from Greenup will transfer to Raceland. I think that will happen more than ever if they combine.
Raceland will prolly have to move to AA anyway with the increase in student numbers....
fromthedawgpound Wrote:I think it is better for both teams when they are evenly matched. I don't think the winner or the loser gets much out of 40 to 10 win or loss. But sometimes you just can't help it you never know when you show up what to expect at the middle school level. And I will agree with you that Ft. Gay has a very good team they play hard from the tip-off to the buzzer they go 100% if their up 20 or down 20. If you are looking for good teams there at Russel in this area I would have to say that Lawarence County, Ft. Gay, Highlands (Johnson Co.) and Salyersville Grade School all have good teams and play hard. As far as the holdbacks go we played a team in Johnson County were the players drove themselves home after the game. It is hard to determine your talent level as 11 and 12 year olds when your playing 14 and 15 year olds.

Central Elementary is the best team in Johnson Co. right now. They are undefeated in county and I know for a fact they start three kids that are 10 years old.
we have Johnson Central at home on the 8th we played up there has 4th grade a couple of years ago. When we went to JC this year we did not play a 6th grade team the same kids that played the 7th and 8th played us and beat us bad. I no they it wasn't the Johnson Central 6th grade team because they they all had Johnson Central Middle School uniforms and the middle up there is just 7 & 8 and maybe 9th. I know they are looking for a 6th grade team to come down and play us on the 8th you guys should step and come down we would be glad to return the favor!