Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Players from Your High School
I am wondering how many college football players your high school has produced. I'd like to know who the player was, what high school they went to, what college they went to, what years they played in college, and what their level of success was. For example, did they play all 4 years? Did they start for their college team?

I often read about players potentially going to this college or that college to play, but I just think it would be interesting to know which one of our high schools truly produces the most quality college football players.

I'll start.

Josh Gross - Russell - Georgetown College - don't know how much he played there

Kasey Clark - Russell - Murray State and then Morehead State - don't know how he is doing

Nathan McPeek - Russell - Marshall University - started on the offensive line all 4 years

T.J. Maynard - Russell - Kentucky - not sure how much he played

Arliss Beach - Ashland - Kentucky - played all 4 years and even started at running back a little

David Jones - Belfry - Kentucky - played all 4 years and started at cornerback this year

Aaron Pettrey (sp-?) - Raceland - Ohio State - kicking off for the Buckeyes this year
ryanparker Wrote:I am wondering how many college football players your high school has produced. I'd like to know who the player was, what high school they went to, what college they went to, what years they played in college, and what their level of success was. For example, did they play all 4 years? Did they start for their college team?

I often read about players potentially going to this college or that college to play, but I just think it would be interesting to know which one of our high schools truly produces the most quality college football players.

I'll start.

Josh Gross - Russell - Georgetown College - don't know how much he played there

Kasey Clark - Russell - Murray State and then Morehead State - don't know how he is doing

Nathan McPeek - Russell - Marshall University - started on the offensive line all 4 years

T.J. Maynard - Russell - Kentucky - not sure how much he played

Arliss Beach - Ashland - Kentucky - played all 4 years and even started at running back a little

David Jones - Belfry - Kentucky - played all 4 years and started at cornerback this year

Aaron Pettrey (sp-?) - Raceland - Ohio State - kicking off for the Buckeyes this year

How about Jeff Frasure?

Played 4 years as a starter at Morehead State on special teams and Defense.

Did not redshirt.

Led the nation in Division 1 punting average for the first 2 weeks of 1995 as a Freshman.

Was a senior on the winningest team in School History and the last Scholarship class at MSU.

1998 Don Hansens Football Gazette selection for All-American.

Other than Nathan McPeek I don't think anyones college record from Russell is comparable.
You also forgot about John Groves. Played at Alabama!Rolleyes
DevilsWin Wrote:You also forgot about John Groves. Played at Alabama!Rolleyes

How did he do at Alabama?
You guys are leaving out alot. I don't have time right now but I'll get back to you on this one.
Groves went to Alabama on scholarship then transferred to UK to finish his career as a FB. Probably the best play at Russell that I can remember watching. He was a monster.

Brent Muncy - QB - 1977 - EKU
Drew Ramey - QB - 1996 - Georgetown
Brian McKenzie - DE - 1987 - Georgetown
Mike Goodyear - OL - 1986 Centre
Jonhn Goodyear - FB - 1988 Centre
Benji Goodyear - OL - 1988 Centre
Robert Brown - RB - 1993 - Morehead State
Steve Lochow - DL - 1990 - Dayton
Rheese McKenzie - LB - 2001 - Centre
Michael Gabbard - LB - 2002 - Georgetown
Isaac Ison - WR - 2002 - Georgetown
Matt Thompson - LB - 2002 - Georgetown
Drew Mell - OL - 2005 - KCU
Elijah Mullins - QB - 2004 - Centre

Those are just some off of the top of my head. There has been ALOT of talent that has come through Russell. There are more and then there are more like myself that had offers to Georgetown, Centre, Cumberland,.... small schools, that chose not to play in college. Yes I regret not playing but I already had other means to pay my tuition and it turned out to be cheaper going to a larger state run school than accepting any financial assistance to play football at the smaller schools I mentioned.

Another thing that can keep kids from getting looks, at Russell anyway is the offensive system. The wing T is odd. Smaller quicker lineman are made for it. Alot of guys in the past have played Gaurd in that system were not true offensive lineman. They are usually smaller quicker guys much more like Fullbacks. It is hard to get recruited as a 6'1" 200 lb offensive gaurd. You are not going to play that position in college so when a college coach looks he may just miss some good players because of their size and the highschool position they play.
FBALL Wrote:Groves went to Alabama on scholarship then transferred to UK to finish his career as a FB. Probably the best play at Russell that I can remember watching. He was a monster.

Brent Muncy - QB - 1977 - EKU
Drew Ramey - QB - 1996 - Georgetown
Brian McKenzie - DE - 1987 - Georgetown
Mike Goodyear - OL - 1986 Centre
Jonhn Goodyear - FB - 1988 Centre
Benji Goodyear - OL - 1988 Centre
Robert Brown - RB - 1993 - Morehead State
Steve Lochow - DL - 1990 - Dayton
Rheese McKenzie - LB - 2001 - Centre
Michael Gabbard - LB - 2002 - Georgetown
Isaac Ison - WR - 2002 - Georgetown
Matt Thompson - LB - 2002 - Georgetown
Drew Mell - OL - 2005 - KCU
Elijah Mullins - QB - 2004 - Centre

Those are just some off of the top of my head. There has been ALOT of talent that has come through Russell. There are more and then there are more like myself that had offers to Georgetown, Centre, Cumberland,.... small schools, that chose not to play in college. Yes I regret not playing but I already had other means to pay my tuition and it turned out to be cheaper going to a larger state run school than accepting any financial assistance to play football at the smaller schools I mentioned.

Another thing that can keep kids from getting looks, at Russell anyway is the offensive system. The wing T is odd. Smaller quicker lineman are made for it. Alot of guys in the past have played Gaurd in that system were not true offensive lineman. They are usually smaller quicker guys much more like Fullbacks. It is hard to get recruited as a 6'1" 200 lb offensive gaurd. You are not going to play that position in college so when a college coach looks he may just miss some good players because of their size and the highschool position they play.

This is quite a few players who have played in college. I wonder if schools like Ashland or Belfry have had this many???
ryanparker Wrote:This is quite a few players who have played in college. I wonder if schools like Ashland or Belfry have had this many???
That I don't know. There are more from Russell that I'm sure I left off.

I know John Hillman was a high school All American in 1972.

Roger Vanover played for Marshall and was killed in the plane crash.

Like I said I'm sure there are more. Eric Day is one that could have played I believe he went on to UK though and just gave up football like some others. Ryan Watkins had all kinds of ability but did not play his senior year. Sam Watkins may have had a scholarship to EKU, I can't remember.

Anyway the talent has been there. You don't compile the kind of record that Russell and McGlone have without talent. I'm sure Ivan would tell you that. Maybe not D1 talent but some very athletic teams none the less.
FBALL Wrote:You guys are leaving out alot. I don't have time right now but I'll get back to you on this one.
Of course I knew that... I had to get those 2 on there immediately though. I'm sure you understand.Smile
FBALL Wrote:That I don't know. There are more from Russell that I'm sure I left off.

I know John Hillman was a high school All American in 1972.

Roger Vanover played for Marshall and was killed in the plane crash.

Like I said I'm sure there are more. Eric Day is one that could have played I believe he went on to UK though and just gave up football like some others. Ryan Watkins had all kinds of ability but did not play his senior year. Sam Watkins may have had a scholarship to EKU, I can't remember.

Anyway the talent has been there. You don't compile the kind of record that Russell and McGlone have without talent. I'm sure Ivan would tell you that. Maybe not D1 talent but some very athletic teams none the less.

I believe Bob Stout was an All American as well. 1965 maybe?

Jeff Carty? Murray State I think in the early 1970s.
Off the Top of my Head..

Nathan Leslie- Marshall University
Jeremy Caudill- University of Kentucky- 4 year starter
Nick Jamerson- Pikeville College
Hank Mullins- Pikeville College
Seth Hyden- Eastern University
Wesley Woods- Eastern University

Those are just a few that come to mind...I'm a young gun you might say
ryanparker Wrote:This is quite a few players who have played in college. I wonder if schools like Ashland or Belfry have had this many???

sammy reed- KCU
Justin gooslin- KCU
G Epling - KCU
Free BAlla 14 Wrote:Off the Top of my Head..

Nathan Leslie- Marshall University
Jeremy Caudill- University of Kentucky- 4 year starter
Nick Jamerson- Pikeville College
Hank Mullins- Pikeville College
Seth Hyden- Eastern University
Wesley Woods- Eastern University

Those are just a few that come to mind...I'm a young gun you might say

What high school did these players play at?
FBALL Wrote:Anyway the talent has been there. You don't compile the kind of record that Russell and McGlone have without talent. I'm sure Ivan would tell you that. Maybe not D1 talent but some very athletic teams none the less.

I understand that there has been talent at Russell.

I just don't see any logical reason, though, why there would have been more talent at Russell than at other traditional football schools like Ashland or Belfry. Given the list of players you guys have rattled off, I don't see any evidence of Ivan McGlone sabatoging his players and preventing them from making it to play at the college level as has been mentioned time and again on this site.

I think the fact that there have been this many college level players from a small school like Russell shows that the system that McGlone has established has helped players that had the ability and the desire to make it to the college level...not prevented them from playing there. Furthermore, the fact that most of these players have only played mainly at the "lower levels" of college football means that vastly superior talent isn't the reason that McGlone has been able to consistently win. He must not be such a bad coach after all.
ryanparker Wrote:What high school did these players play at?

Prestonsburg
ryanparker Wrote:I understand that there has been talent at Russell.

I just don't see any logical reason, though, why there would have been more talent at Russell than at other traditional football schools like Ashland or Belfry. Given the list of players you guys have rattled off, I don't see any evidence of Ivan McGlone sabatoging his players and preventing them from making it to play at the college level as has been mentioned time and again on this site.

I think the fact that there have been this many college level players from a small school like Russell shows that the system that McGlone has established has helped players that had the ability and the desire to make it to the college level...not prevented them from playing there. Furthermore, the fact that most of these players have only played mainly at the "lower levels" of college football means that vastly superior talent isn't the reason that McGlone has been able to consistently win. He must not be such a bad coach after all.

Exactly. Most, maybe not all, but Most of the players he "Supposedly" held letters from, probably didn't deserve them.

We've all seen these guys on the field over the years. Just because you play OK between the lines doesn't entitle you to anything. What goes on off the field is just as important if not more.

Some players are gifted in their minds and their athletic ability. Those are the ones that do well in life after football. If they're lucky someone will help them along and they'll get a free education and 4 more years of football.

The others, well they're just the others.
3 that i can think of of the top of my head from Sheldon Clark
Joey Stepp-Marshall
Danny Hinkle- UVA-Wise
Damen Hensely- University of the Cumberlands
DevilsWin Wrote:I believe Bob Stout was an All American as well. 1965 maybe?

Jeff Carty? Murray State I think in the early 1970s.
Jeff Carty played in 76 and 77. He went to school with my sisters. I knew he was very good just can't remember where some of these guys went.

I believe Mike Couchot may have played for Centre as well in the mid 80s.
ryanparker Wrote:I understand that there has been talent at Russell.

That would be the logical conclusion now wouldn't it.

People have complained about McGlones offense since he got there in 1976. It was old fashioned and boring then. Big Grin

Haywood at Belfry has people saying some of the same things about him. Too old fashioned. Too conservative.

Both have had and developed alot of good players that have gone on to be successful people. Not just football players.

Population density tells us that there are not going to be as many D1 players from the smaller more rural schools. The fact that McGlone has had that many players play college football on any level is very telling. We still haven't named all of them.

Dang this hurts.

I also agree with Devils Win.

Ouch.

If someone did not get letters they probably didn't deserve them. And to go further, if someone didn't get letters they may have been protected by not getting them.

I didn't get it when I was young either. It wasn't until I graduated from college and started coaching myself that the lightbulb finally came on. Sometimes genius is in simplictiy.

Of Course I wouldn't mind if Ivan opened up the offense just a little.
FBALL Wrote:That would be the logical conclusion now wouldn't it.

People have complained about McGlones offense since he got there in 1976. It was old fashioned and boring then. Big Grin

Haywood at Belfry has people saying some of the same things about him. Too old fashioned. Too conservative.

Both have had and developed alot of good players that have gone on to be successful people. Not just football players.

Population density tells us that there are not going to be as many D1 players from the smaller more rural schools. The fact that McGlone has had that many players play college football on any level is very telling. We still haven't named all of them.

Dang this hurts.

I also agree with Devils Win.

Ouch.

If someone did not get letters they probably didn't deserve them. And to go further, if someone didn't get letters they may have been protected by not getting them.

I didn't get it when I was young either. It wasn't until I graduated from college and started coaching myself that the lightbulb finally came on. Sometimes genius is in simplictiy.

Of Course I wouldn't mind if Ivan opened up the offense just a little.

Smile I get the important stuff right!Cool
I think I was a huge guard when I played ball....5'9"...182lbs. haha Here are a few more I know of from Russell and Ashland.

JD Metz went to Morehead State
Kelly Ferrell had offers to Cincinatti and alot more.
Bryan McKenzie first went to UK then went to Georgetown for better playing time.
Mike Riffe went to Centre

Ashland had players like
John Holmes EKU...David Gifford MSU...Joe Avilia Colorado maybe?...also had a quarteback who played for UK. Forgot the name.

Jerry Lucas from Greenup county went to MSU also.
Off my head from LAWRENCE COUNTY:
Gered Paker UK
Jerad Hosstetter Uof Tenn
Jason Michael Army (transferred to Western where he QB them to a National Championship)
Dontae Wright Miami of Ohio
Phil Ratcliff Marshall (National Champ)
Tater McKenzie Marshall
Kyle Carter Marshall
Mike West Marshall
Mike McCreary Georgetown (National Champ)
Chris Hamilton Marshall (transferred to GTown)
Howard Adams GTown
Webb Roberts Morehead
Hiko Adams Morehead
Staurt Cook Morehead
JR Cook Morehead
Brent Cook Morehead
James Moore Morehead
Travis Phelps Thomas Moore
Todd Issac Thomas Moore
John Caudill Morehead
Nick Meadows GTown
Keith Best Thomas Moore
Jack Abshire KY Weslyan
Spencer Harris Virginia Tech (ended up starting 4 years at shortstop playing baseball instead)
Alan Short Cumberland
Bryan Short Cumberland
Kyle Barnett Centre
Brad Derifield Centre
Paul Phelps Morehead
John Daniels Georgetown
That is just off my head right now and there is more. Funny thing is every one of those guys other than maybe 3 or 4 were from 1990 on. I don't think there have been more kids go to college and play ball over that span that what Lawrence County produced. That's leaving out a lot of great players that went on to play even D1 baseball or coach instead.
There is ZERO doubt any one school has put out more coaches over that span. NFL, College + High School. It's amazing what has come out of a little population of 2,000! Great run + better days are coming!
bulldog42 Wrote:Off my head from LAWRENCE COUNTY:
Gered Paker UK
Jerad Hosstetter Uof Tenn
Jason Michael Army (transferred to Western where he QB them to a National Championship)
Dontae Wright Miami of Ohio
Phil Ratcliff Marshall (National Champ)
Tater McKenzie Marshall
Kyle Carter Marshall
Mike West Marshall
Mike McCreary Georgetown (National Champ)
Chris Hamilton Marshall (transferred to GTown)
Howard Adams GTown
Webb Roberts Morehead
Hiko Adams Morehead
Staurt Cook Morehead
JR Cook Morehead
Brent Cook Morehead
James Moore Morehead
Travis Phelps Thomas Moore
Todd Issac Thomas Moore
John Caudill Morehead
Nick Meadows GTown
Keith Best Thomas Moore
Jack Abshire KY Weslyan
Spencer Harris Virginia Tech (ended up starting 4 years at shortstop playing baseball instead)
Alan Short Cumberland
Bryan Short Cumberland
Kyle Barnett Centre
Brad Derifield Centre
Paul Phelps Morehead
John Daniels Georgetown
That is just off my head right now and there is more. Funny thing is every one of those guys other than maybe 3 or 4 were from 1990 on. I don't think there have been more kids go to college and play ball over that span that what Lawrence County produced. That's leaving out a lot of great players that went on to play even D1 baseball or coach instead.
There is ZERO doubt any one school has put out more coaches over that span. NFL, College + High School. It's amazing what has come out of a little population of 2,000! Great run + better days are coming!

Wow. That is an impressive list.
Took my son to the UK football camp and I believe it was Dontae Wright from lawrence County on their coaching staff. We laughed because my son had a Russell shirt on and Dontae would yell "Cmon Eastern Ky!" whenever they did drill. We talked to him a bit and he said he played at Lawrence County and I think it was Dontae Wright.
DevilsWin Wrote:How about Jeff Frasure?

Played 4 years as a starter at Morehead State on special teams and Defense.

Did not redshirt.

Led the nation in Division 1 punting average for the first 2 weeks of 1995 as a Freshman.

Was a senior on the winningest team in School History and the last Scholarship class at MSU.

1998 Don Hansens Football Gazette selection for All-American.

Other than Nathan McPeek I don't think anyones college record from Russell is comparable.

I agree with the Nathan McPeek comment, several great players at Russell but to start that many games is unheard of and he was from right here in Ashland. It's beyond me that Russell has yet to honor him for his playing accomplishments, can someone please explain that to me? Other players should have been honored as well, and a side note about Nathan he was a great football yes but if any of you on the board know him he is a great person as well. He is doing very well as the head coach at Fairview High School. Jeff Frasure also had an outstanding career at Morehead.
Bobby Owens-Kcc-Pikeville
Here's a few from Leslie Co. Not sure how long everyone played. Don't know alot before '90. Not a complete list, just the ones I know of.

Mike Whitaker '78-'81 UK/ Eastern
Greg Couch '88-'91 Eastern
Sean Fortney '86-'89 Thomas More
Landry Collett '89-'92 Signed with Louisville (But Never Played)
Randall Cobb '91-'94 Union
Ramone Couch '91-'94 Union
John Wooton '91-'94 Eastern
Dan Baker '91-'94 Morehead St.
Tim Couch '92-'95 UK
Paul Melton '92-'95 Eastern ( Played 1 year) US Navy Seal
Jeremy Asher '92-'95 UVA Wise/Sue Bennett College
Robert Wells '92-'95 Sue Bennett College/ Union
Neil Lewis Sue Bennett College/ Union
James Robert '92-'95 Sue Bennett College
Jeff Johnson '94-'97 Georgetown
Joel Brashear '94-'97 Georgetown
Joey Morgan '94-'97 Cumberland
Floyd Whitaker '96-'99 Cumberland
Johnny Lash '96-'99 Morehead St.
Brian Morgan '97-2000 UK/ Morhead St.
James Boggs '97-2000 Georgetown
Chris Grissom '97-2000 Morehead St.
Chris Barger '98-2001 Cumberland
Robert Brock '98-2001 Cumberland
John Wooton '98-2001 Union
Dorphous Howard '98-2001 Union
Steve Davidson '99-'03 Pikeville
Brent Collins '99-'03 Pikeville
Dusty Baker '01-'04 Union
John Horton '02-'05 Georgetown
Bryan Hubbard '03-'06 Univ. Of Cumberlands
Timmy Baker '03-'06 Morehead St.

Years are football years, not graduating years.
I Rule The World Wrote:Here's a few from Leslie Co. Not sure how long everyone played. Don't know alot before '90. Not a complete list, just the ones I know of.

Mike Whitaker '78-'81 UK/ Eastern
Greg Couch '88-'91 Eastern
Sean Fortney '86-'89 Thomas More
Landry Collett '89-'92 Signed with Louisville (But Never Played)
Randall Cobb '91-'94 Union
Ramone Couch '91-'94 Union
John Wooton '91-'94 Eastern
Dan Baker '91-'94 Morehead St.
Tim Couch '92-'95 UK
Paul Melton '92-'95 Eastern ( Played 1 year) US Navy Seal
Jeremy Asher '92-'95 UVA Wise/Sue Bennett College
Robert Wells '92-'95 Sue Bennett College/ Union
Neil Lewis Sue Bennett College/ Union
James Robert '92-'95 Sue Bennett College
Jeff Johnson '94-'97 Georgetown
Joel Brashear '94-'97 Georgetown
Joey Morgan '94-'97 Cumberland
Floyd Whitaker '96-'99 Cumberland
Johnny Lash '96-'99 Morehead St.
Brian Morgan '97-2000 UK/ Morhead St.
James Boggs '97-2000 Georgetown
Chris Grissom '97-2000 Morehead St.
Chris Barger '98-2001 Cumberland
Robert Brock '98-2001 Cumberland
John Wooton '98-2001 Union
Dorphous Howard '98-2001 Union
Steve Davidson '99-'03 Pikeville
Brent Collins '99-'03 Pikeville
Dusty Baker '01-'04 Union
John Horton '02-'05 Georgetown
Bryan Hubbard '03-'06 Univ. Of Cumberlands
Timmy Baker '03-'06 Morehead St.

Years are football years, not graduating years.

:Thumbs:
russellpride Wrote:I agree with the Nathan McPeek comment, several great players at Russell but to start that many games is unheard of and he was from right here in Ashland. It's beyond me that Russell has yet to honor him for his playing accomplishments, can someone please explain that to me? Other players should have been honored as well, and a side note about Nathan he was a great football yes but if any of you on the board know him he is a great person as well. He is doing very well as the head coach at Fairview High School. Jeff Frasure also had an outstanding career at Morehead.

If Russell actually honored all the players worthy of recognition....they'd never have time for anything else....There has been a ton of players come through that program that accomplished a lot as a Red Devil...If those colleges want to honor them what they did there then they should, but i dont' think russell is any different then how ashland or raceland or other winning programs handle those things...Russell has honored the 78 team a few times...but the names you mention frasure and mcpeek had teammates on both of those teams who contributed as much as they did...so like i said to honor one would be disrespectful to the others that are just as deserving in my opinion
Estill County

Justin Covey - Mayville State University (North Dakota) - 2009