Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg Volleyball Tournament 2009
Prestonsburg will host it's annual Food City Invitational August 14-15 2009.
16 teams for pool play then advance to bracket play(Gold & Silver). Guaranteed 4 matches during tourney, coaches hospitality room at PHS.
No entry fee in 08 and anticipate the same in 09. Played at 3 or 4 locations in Prestonsburg.
Contact: Jackie Day Crisp, [email]jackie.crisp@floyd.kyschools.us[/email], John M. Hunt, [email]johnm.hunt@suddenlink.net[/email] or Don Compton, [email]drcpcuc@bellsouth.net[/email]
The field is set for the 09 tourney. It has expanded to 20 teams now, split into 4 pools.
The scheduled is going to be released very soon.
It is probably the best volleyball tournament in Eastern Kentucky.
UK Fan14 Wrote:The field is set for the 09 tourney. It has expanded to 20 teams now, split into 4 pools.
The scheduled is going to be released very soon.

Any word on the schedule yet. Is it released?
I know Letcher Co Central is in it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Food City "Summer Slam" Aug. 14-15/2009.

Pool 1- Prestonsburg - Perry Central - Phelps - Whitley Co. - Bath Co.

Pool 2 - Allen Central - South Laurel - Magoffin Co - Hazard - Harrison Co.

Pool 3 - South Floyd - Belfry - Piarist - Middlesboro - Ashland.

Pool 4 - Betsy Layne - Letcher Central - Lawrence Co - Cordia - Pike Co. Central.

Prestonsburg High School 8-14/2009:

5:30 p.m. - Prestonsburg vs. Perry Co. Central
6:30 p.m. - Phelps vs. Bath Co.
7:30 p.m. - Whitley Co. vs Perry Co. Central
8:30 p.m. - Prestonsburg vs. Phelps
9:30 p.m. - Bath Co. vs Whitley Co.

Allen Elementary School 8-14/2009

5:30 p.m. - South Floyd vs Piarist
6:30 p.m. - Belfry vs Ashland
7:30 p.m. - Middlesboro vs South Floyd.
8:30 p.m. - Belfry vs Piarist
9:30 p.m. - Middlesboro vs Ashland.

Prestonsburg Elementary School 8-14/2009.

5:30 p.m. - Betsy Layne vs Lawrence Co.
6:30 p.m. - Pike Co. Central vs Cordia.
7:30 p.m. - Letcher Central vs Lawrence Co.
8:30 p.m. - Betsy Layne vs Cordia.
9:30 p.m. - Letcher Central vs Pike Co. Central

James D. Adams Middle School 8-14/2009

5:30 p.m. - Allen Central vs Magoffin Co.
6:30 p.m. - Hazard vs Harrison Co.
7:30 p.m. - Magoffin Co. vs South Laurel
8:30 p.m. - Harrison Co. vs Allen Central
9:30 p.m. - Hazard vs South Laurel

Pool play continues on Sat. Aug 15th

Prestonsburg High School 8-15/2009

8:30 a.m. - Bath Co vs Perry Co. Central
9:30 a.m. - Prestonsburg vs Whitley Co.
10:30 a.m. - Phelps vs Perry Co. Central
11:30 a.m. - Prestonsburg vs Bath Co
12:30 p.m. - Phelps vs Whitley Co

Allen Elementary School 8-15/2009

8:30 a.m. - Middlesboro vs Piarist
9:30 a.m. - South Floyd vs Ashland
10:30 a.m. - Belfry vs Middlesboro
11:30 a.m. - Piarist vs Ashland
12:30 a.m. - Belfry vs South Floyd

Prestonsburg Elem. School 8-15/2009

8:30 a.m. - Letcher Central vs Cordia
9:30 a.m. - Betsy Layne vs Pike Co. Central
10:30 a.m. - Lawrence Co. vs Cordia
11:30 a.m. - Letcher Central vs Betsy Layne
12:30 p.m. - Lawrence Co vs Pike Co. Central

James D. Adams Middle School 8-15/2009

8:30 a.m. - Magoffin Co vs Harrison Co
9:30 a.m. - South Laurel vs Allen Central
10:30 a.m. - Hazard vs Magoffin Co
11:30 a.m. - South Laurel vs Harrison Co
12:30 p.m. - Hazard vs Allen Central

After pool play is completed the Gold and Silver brackets will be posted at the respective sites. The brackets will be determined by pool play (Top 2 teams from each pool +the 2 highest 3rd place teams will advance to gold bracket).......(The 2 remaining 3rd place teams will join the last 2 teams from each pool in the Silver bracket).....It will give each bracket 10 teams for elimination play.
Thanks for the schedule post. Arent the Johnson County teams participating?
Thanks, O but now B.
What is the chance we can come up with a tournament like this next year?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

slim to none
what makes you say that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Betty Von Caudill tried to get out of county teams to play and they will not commit.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:Thanks for the schedule post. Arent the Johnson County teams participating?
Johnson Central has declined invites each year, Paintsville played in last yrs. but will not be in this yrs field.
What does it help if you play the same teams that you kill every year, and you don't make your schedule any better?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Wonder if Wal-mart would sponser a tournanment like this. If Food City can, why not Wal-mart. What makes the Prestonsburg tournament work it is combined effort in the Floyd County school system as they have four schools involved. All of which put a lot of emphasis on volleyball. With the exception of Letcher Central, the 14th region needs to follow the 15th's example and try to make efforts to improve their programs. Jenkins, Knott Central and Cordia basically have volleyball to meet Title IV requirements. The administration could care less if they win a game. As far as scheduling goes, we have discussed this before. When you are on the outside looking in it is easy to pass judgement when you don't know the problems and issues that coaches confront while scheduling.
I understand what you are saying. I wish wal mart would. The problem is getting them to do volleyball when too many parents have football. I don't like it either, but if the price was acceptable they might do it. I will talk to a manager when I get back to work tomorrow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

looking forward to 2 great days of Volleyball
Schedule change for the tourney !!!!!!!!!!

Cordia & Hazard have dropped out of the field, but luckily two teams have stepped in to take their place.

You can insert Pikeville where Cordia was and insert East Ridge where Hazard was.

Thanks to Pikeville & East Ridge, the tourney still has a 20 team field.

See ya there.
I will be there. Good tourney last year. Expect the same this year.

Why would teams drop out this late? Credit ER and Pikeville. Both are better than the two that dropped out.
what time does the silver and gold games start today?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

really good day of play. the little girl from S.F. really impressed me.
We could have a tournament like this if we want to. We have three gyms that can hold people in it. I hope one day we do have a tournament like this one. Letcher Central played really well, but I think Betsy Lane showed they are team that will compete for the 15th region tournament. Was the 13th region represented in this tournament?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:We could have a tournament like this if we want to. We have three gyms that can hold people in it. I hope one day we do have a tournament like this one. Letcher Central played really well, but I think Betsy Lane showed they are team that will compete for the 15th region tournament. Was the 13th region represented in this tournament?
The 13th was represented during the tourney, South Laurel, Middlesboro & Whitley Co. played.
Congrats to Betsy Layne, winner of the 2009 Food City "Summer Slam". They def. a good Letcher Co. Cent. in the " Gold" championship game.

The "Silver"( the consy bracket) championship game was won by Harrison Co., as they def. Piarist.
Hope everyone enjoyed the tourney, it was a hectic but fun 2 days of volleyball.
Eagle42 Wrote:really good day of play. the little girl from S.F. really impressed me.
She is a wonderful setter and leader.
Betsy Layne and LCC battled twice yesterday and will for years to come because both are young. Good luck to both the rest of the season!
The 2009 Food City Summer Slam Volleyball Tournament came to a close Saturday night at Prestonsburg High School Gym.
Prestonsburg HS, Betsy Layne HS, Allen Central HS, South Floyd HS, Piarist HS, Pikeville HS, Pike Central HS, Belfry HS, Phelps HS, East Ridge HS, Letcher Central HS, Perry Central HS, Magoffin County HS, Ashland HS, Lawrence County HS, South Laurel HS, Middlesboro HS, Bath County HS, Whitley County HS and Harrison County HS Volleyball teams played 40 pool play games and 16 tournament games in 2 days.
The Lady Bobcats of Betsy Layne defeated the Lady Cougars of Letcher Central 25-23 and 25-17 to win the Food City Gold Division Championship. The Lady Bobcats left it all on the court as they played 6 games on Saturday to win the Championship.

The Silver Division Championship was played earlier in the night and the Fillies of Harrison County HS defeated the Lady Knights of Piarist 25-11 and 25-17 to become the Silver Division Champions. The Food City Summer Slam was started last year to promote girls volleyball in the mountains and it has become a Hugh success.
This was an excellent tournament to watch. Betsy Layne and Letcher Central have now proven they are the teams to beat in the mountains.
give Piarist a lil bit of a time and they will be more competitive