Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far can the Elliot Co. Lions go?
Returning almost everyone from last year's team, how far does Elliot County make it this year? The Faulker twins, along with Ferguson are all three Division one prospects, how good with they be? I say as good as they want to be.

Those three along with almost the entire town, live, eat, and sleep basketball. GOOD LUCK LIONS!
BO1988 Wrote:Returning almost everyone from last year's state semifinal team, how far does Elliot County make it this year? The Faulker twins, along with Ferguson are all three Division one prospects, how good with they be? I say as good as they want to be.

Those three along with almost the entire town, live, eat, and sleep basketball. GOOD LUCK LIONS!

Not hating but I thought they were one and done last year.
I think the same thing about them as any other team. It will depend a lot on the draw. A good draw, they can make it to the finals, with a bad one, it could be 1 and done.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BO1988 Wrote:Returning almost everyone from last year's state semifinal team, how far does Elliot County make it this year? The Faulker twins, along with Ferguson are all three Division one prospects, how good with they be? I say as good as they want to be.

From what I hear, they lost a Maynard kid who was a d-1 prospect last year. I haven't heard of anything about him. Maybe people just make kids sound better than what they really are. I really never saw him play but that's what i heard.
I agree, it will really depend on the draw!!
kybaseball Wrote:Not hating but I thought they were one and done last year.

I got my mind mixed up. sorry for the false statement. yes. they lost in their 1st game, but it was a 4 pt loss to the eventual state champ. Mason Co.
BO1988 Wrote:I got my mind mixed up. sorry for the false statement. yes. they lost in their 1st game, but it was a 4 pt loss to the eventual state champ. Mason Co.

It happens to the best of us.Smile Smile

Hats off to the effort Elliott had in the State Tourney after their first meeting with Mason.They gave Mason all they wanted in Lexington.:Thumbs:
Elliott County has not defeated a top 30 team this century. They were 0 - 3 against top 20 teams last year with an average margin of defeat in double digits. Their biggest win last season was against East Carter.

They won the region two years ago becuase Jon Vanhoose for Russell got injured before the playoff. They didn't see a team inside the top 40 until they met Mason County in the state tourney and lost. The highlight of Elliott County this decade is actually a close loss.

Elliott County greatest feat is winning the 16th Region tournament where they only had to beat one team with a winning record. They lost to a below average Rose Hill team that got throttled by 11th and 7th region teams last year. Elliott County was knocked out of the 5th/3rd Tourney early with a double digit loss to Cov Cath. They did not make it to the finals of the All "A" tourney last year.

So explain. How can a team with ZERO top 30 wins last season be considered a top 10 team this year? Is that fair to teams like Tates Creek, Franklin County, Bryan Dunbar, Trinity, Male, Eastern, who have won against top ranked teams and play much tougher schedules while Elliott plays cupcakes?
if they get on the opposite bracket as Cov. and Scott they have a shot at playing Saturday night
The Fan Wrote:if they get on the opposite bracket as Cov. and Scott they have a shot at playing Saturday night

Wrong. The only way they play that far is avoiding any legit team that's top 30. If they played a top 30 team in the first round of their district, that would be as far as they go and their season would end their. There a lot of teams in KY that could easily win the 16th.
I never said they were a top 10 team. I didnt' know they were. I'm just going by the season they had last year, solid. I expect them to be better this year, and could be a "dark horse". I know that "through the year" they haven't been heavy hitters, but for me, its nice to see a fresh face. good luck lions!!!!
They are easily the best team in the 16th region but the draw will have alot to do with how far they may go. It will be interesting to see them play Madisonville with Jon Hood at the Fast Lane Classic Nov. 29.
BUHoops Wrote:Elliott County has not defeated a top 30 team this century. They were 0 - 3 against top 20 teams last year with an average margin of defeat in double digits. Their biggest win last season was against East Carter.

They won the region two years ago becuase Jon Vanhoose for Russell got injured before the playoff. They didn't see a team inside the top 40 until they met Mason County in the state tourney and lost. The highlight of Elliott County this decade is actually a close loss.

Elliott County greatest feat is winning the 16th Region tournament where they only had to beat one team with a winning record. They lost to a below average Rose Hill team that got throttled by 11th and 7th region teams last year. Elliott County was knocked out of the 5th/3rd Tourney early with a double digit loss to Cov Cath. They did not make it to the finals of the All "A" tourney last year.

So explain. How can a team with ZERO top 30 wins last season be considered a top 10 team this year? Is that fair to teams like Tates Creek, Franklin County, Bryan Dunbar, Trinity, Male, Eastern, who have won against top ranked teams and play much tougher schedules while Elliott plays cupcakes?

Sounds like you may have some sour grapes. They had beaten Russell before when Vanhoose was healthy, so it's not like they couldn't have done it again. In the 5th/3rd, if you call the third round early... got beat by Cov. Cath, had the lead late in the 3rd. Yeah they laid an egg against RH in the first game, shot 28% and still lead with a minute to go. Having said all that...... Depending on the draw, they could be one and done, or they could just as easily be playing on Sat. morning. Or even Sat. night. And the same goes for SV and Hazard.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Sounds like you may have some sour grapes. They had beaten Russell before when Vanhoose was healthy, so it's not like they couldn't have done it again. In the 5th/3rd, if you call the third round early... got beat by Cov. Cath, had the lead late in the 3rd. Yeah they laid an egg against RH in the first game, shot 28% and still lead with a minute to go. Having said all that...... Depending on the draw, they could be one and done, or they could just as easily be playing on Sat. morning. Or even Sat. night. And the same goes for SV and Hazard.

I agree with you completely. With mountain schools like those three, a good draw is key. Elliott could have gone far in last year's tourney, but we'll never know since they drew the eventual state champs in the first round. Just bad luck.

Not to say one of our mountain schools can't pull off the big upset, but I would feel better about their chances if they didn't get the 9th or 11th regions.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jed Clampett Wrote:They are easily the best team in the 16th region but the draw will have alot to do with how far they may go. It will be interesting to see them play Madisonville with Jon Hood at the Fast Lane Classic Nov. 29.

I don't think Madisonville is a very strong team, they have Hood but they lost a lot of support last year. They are actually way down from last year. Talking to people from Madisonville, leads me to believe Hood doesn't have a whole lot of help.

However, Elliott is a very good team, they just happen to be in a weak region. They have to play teams in their district and in their region. They are going to the Beach Ball Classic in S. Carolina and will meet up with some top notch competition in that tournament. They are not very big but you would have a hard time finding a group of boys that will play any harder than them. It's good to see a small populated school do well.

Good luck Lions!
Elliot is a top 4 team in the state this year. They will go as far as Timmy Knipp has matured. They are better than any team in Louisville or Lexington.
I don't believe they ever beat Russell with Vanhoose though
knowitall Wrote:Elliot is a top 4 team in the state this year. They will go as far as Timmy Knipp has matured. They are better than any team in Louisville or Lexington.

Bold statement there. :eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree with you completely. With mountain schools like those three, a good draw is key. Elliott could have gone far in last year's tourney, but we'll never know since they drew the eventual state champs in the first round. Just bad luck.

Not to say one of our mountain schools can't pull off the big upset, but I would feel better about their chances if they didn't get the 9th or 11th regions.

The draw certianly helps some teams. Mason got some help last year with some really good teams being knocked out before they had to play them.

Good luck Elliot.
knowitall Wrote:Elliot is a top 4 team in the state this year. They will go as far as Timmy Knipp has matured. They are better than any team in Louisville or Lexington.

They beat them in Vanhoose's Jr. year. In his Sr. year he hit about a 30 footer at the buzzer to beat EC by 1. All their games were pretty close. As for them being better than any team in Lex. or Lou........Thats a pretty strong statement, Timmy must have really picked his game up if this is even a possibility.
letthebighogroot Wrote:They beat them in Vanhoose's Jr. year. In his Sr. year he hit about a 30 footer at the buzzer to beat EC by 1. All their games were pretty close. As for them being better than any team in Lex. or Lou........Thats a pretty strong statement, Timmy must have really picked his game up if this is even a possibility.

I will stand by statements
1. Elliot County is better than any team in Louisville or Lexington
2. They never beat hoose in any game, they didn't beat Russell until hoose got hurt
Did some research from the KHSAA web site, looks like Russell played Elliot County twice in 2006/2007

Feb 21, 06Elliott Countyaway73- 68(W)

Mar 11, 06Elliott Countyat Morehead State56- 52(W)16th Region
Championship
still stand by my statements above
but go Lions!
Know it all, I guess I was crossed up with my scores. I was in Omaha working that year, but I would have sworn when I got the call that EC was playing Russell in the 16th Region Championship I was told that EC had beaten them that year......Maybe it was in a scrimmage?? Either way, a 4 and a 5 point victory are games that can go either way, put those two with the buzzer beater and your really talking about toss ups.
They should make it to state and from what I can gather, they have a very good chance of winning it if they can hold their team together.