Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Coach in 16th region
Rank the 16th region coaches. Who is the best and who is the worst?
Best coach - Rick Mays
worker1 Wrote:Best coach - Rick Mays

Of course. I mean look at all the Region titles, all the kids he sent on to college ball, the way he works the officials, his "in game" adjustments. You know what Worker, maybe you can sell that BS to a select few........But lets get real! Rick Mays couldn't coach his way out of his living room! Name one thing he had done before his current PLAYERS were Freshmen! He had plenty of time to prove himself!!!!!!!!!!! He has hitched his legacy to these kids, already said this is his last season..................I guess he is just to tired to put together another team like this one..............I mean, it did take him 28 years.......LOL, get a clue!
I think East Carters's Brandon Baker needs to be mentioned as one of the better coaches.

East has some real big kids.

Merel Kidwell in Russell may be making some noise in the future. He did a great job with the girls program.
Merle will have a tough time @ Russell. Not due to coaching ability, due to the fact that there isn't alot of bball talent that goes through Russell and it is tough to get kids out. It is mainly a football school. I wish him the best though.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Of course. I mean look at all the Region titles, all the kids he sent on to college ball, the way he works the officials, his "in game" adjustments. You know what Worker, maybe you can sell that BS to a select few........But lets get real! Rick Mays couldn't coach his way out of his living room! Name one thing he had done before his current PLAYERS were Freshmen! He had plenty of time to prove himself!!!!!!!!!!! He has hitched his legacy to these kids, already said this is his last season..................I guess he is just to tired to put together another team like this one..............I mean, it did take him 28 years.......LOL, get a clue!

Hey, good things take time. lol. Who has a better record than Rick Mays over the last couple of seasons? Plus, 28 years in coaching is practically unheard of especially if he "can't coach his way out of his living room." You don't stay 28 years in one job, if you aren't any good at it, do you? I don't know the Elliott Co. situation, but I can't imagine they would have let him stay there that long just because he has been building up to this one team. I don't think anyone said 18 years ago or so that "hey man, have you seen those two Faulkner twins that were just born. Man, Mays is going to have a heck of a team in 13-14 years. I know he's not a good coach, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt for the next decade or so until these guys come along."

Also, I don't know that you can knock him for retiring, can you? 28 years is a long time at any job and I would imagine he is at or near retirement age.

Anyway, I just happen to think that his recent success and his length of time on the job would warrant enough respect to be considered among the best in the 16th at this time. Just my opinion, no matter how "clueless" that opinion may be in the eyes of a basketball genius such as letthebighogroot.
Just looking at results my top three for the past few years would be:

Mays at Elliott.
Hicks at Bath/Greenup
Baker at East Carter

in that order
worker1 Wrote:Hey, good things take time. lol. Who has a better record than Rick Mays over the last couple of seasons? Plus, 28 years in coaching is practically unheard of especially if he "can't coach his way out of his living room." You don't stay 28 years in one job, if you aren't any good at it, do you? I don't know the Elliott Co. situation, but I can't imagine they would have let him stay there that long just because he has been building up to this one team. I don't think anyone said 18 years ago or so that "hey man, have you seen those two Faulkner twins that were just born. Man, Mays is going to have a heck of a team in 13-14 years. I know he's not a good coach, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt for the next decade or so until these guys come along."

Also, I don't know that you can knock him for retiring, can you? 28 years is a long time at any job and I would imagine he is at or near retirement age.

Anyway, I just happen to think that his recent success and his length of time on the job would warrant enough respect to be considered among the best in the 16th at this time. Just my opinion, no matter how "clueless" that opinion may be in the eyes of a basketball genius such as letthebighogroot.

:Clap: Great response lol. I will give Rick some credit, for many years, he performed a job that nobody wanted, and that has to count for something, but not a ranking in the top coaches........At least not in my opinion. I'll just leave it at that. Didn't mean to offend you with my first post.
Coach Maye deserves the respect he is now getting.
I can't really knock Mays he is a good coach he may not be the best in the 16th region though. My biggest draw back with him is he will have a team down by 30-40 late in the game and still press. I know it is HS basketball not Pee Wee but it doesn't seem right.Of course it could be payback for some of the beat downs he has taken over the years.:Thumbs:

Just a side note what is up with all the twins over there? Isn't there one family that is involved with basketball have 2 sets of twins? I have a friend who lives over there and he has a set of twins. Just curious.:confused:
kybaseball Wrote:I can't really knock Mays he is a good coach he may not be the best in the 16th region though. My biggest draw back with him is he will have a team down by 30-40 late in the game and still press. I know it is HS basketball not Pee Wee but it doesn't seem right.Of course it could be payback for some of the beat downs he has taken over the years.:Thumbs:

Just a side note what is up with all the twins over there? Isn't there one family that is involved with basketball have 2 sets of twins? I have a friend who lives over there and he has a set of twins. Just curious.:confused:

I would also say a little pay back. There are a lot of twins, I know a guy who refreed basketball there and he has a set of twins. A teacher has 2 sets of twins. Sentor Blevins has twins . I call it the twin capital of the state.
Kentucky97 Wrote:I would also say a little pay back. There are a lot of twins, I know a guy who refreed basketball there and he has a set of twins. A teacher has 2 sets of twins. Sentor Blevins has twins . I call it the twin capital of the state.

I hear ya.Smile
letthebighogroot Wrote::Clap: Great response lol. I will give Rick some credit, for many years, he performed a job that nobody wanted, and that has to count for something, but not a ranking in the top coaches........At least not in my opinion. I'll just leave it at that. Didn't mean to offend you with my first post.

I can see where you are coming from on that. I just happen to disagree, I guess. Thanks for the response.
Kentucky97 Wrote:I would also say a little pay back. There are a lot of twins, I know a guy who refreed basketball there and he has a set of twins. A teacher has 2 sets of twins. Sentor Blevins has twins . I call it the twin capital of the state.

Yeah, the teacher you speak of has two sets of boys. They love to play ball also. Walter's girls are very lovely young ladies. I guess it's just in the water here. On my dad's side my Grandmother and Grandfather are both twins also!
Who is coaching Rose Hill this year?