Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest upsets ever?
Rock over Cawood in 2005 in regional tournament at Cawood. They had lost like 3 or 4 games all year and Rock beat them out on their home floor, this was a big upset because Cawood was the favorite in their own gym. I will end with this, Cawood is the best team ever in the 13th Region that never won a regional championship. From the time of exsistence to close, year in year out they were always at the top but could never finish it off.
More Cowbell Wrote:I have seen maybe a couple SV fans on here talk unrealistically about how good they are. Not every single Valley fan, as you would have everyone to believe.

To tell the truth, I see you on here making sarcastic remarks directed at Shelby Valley way more than I see these "unrealistic fans" boasting about SV being state contenders or whatever. I wish you would talk sensibly, if not about SV then maybe about your own team. But then I hardly ever see you talk about how good Elliott is, just how overhyped Shelby Valley is.

You know what???? After taking a good hard look around, I agree. Most of the illogical SV posters have taken a hiatus until the coming basketball season. I wish to issue an apology to yourself and basketballfanonly. As for Elliott, I ain't here to brag. If you want to talk about how I really feel about SV, Hazard, and Elliott..........PM me.
That 1990 upset of McDowell over Pikeville was huge. Pikeville was ranked most of the year in the top 20, had beaten McDowell by 30 during the season, and led 29-10 after the first quarter.
But McDowell let it all hang out, made a HUGE comeback, and won it on a tip-in shot at the buzzer by Stacey Hall, off a missed free-throw, 83-82. Perhaps the biggest upset in 15th region history, and one of the biggest comebacks too.
rojas Wrote:Tom Payne was in prison in 72. He played for the Atlanta Hawks during the 70/71 season.

I never said anything about Tom Payne playing in this game. Don't know what your point is here.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:It was #1 Louisville Shawnee that they defeated, not Iroquois. The game was played in Stanton in the old gym that Powell uesed to play in, which seated about 500 and was not a regulation size floor. I'm not sure of the year, but I think it was in the early 1970s. Powell shot something like 89 free throws for the game. I heard a story that when Powell's coach was told after the game that the free throw total was a little overboard, he answered, "Well, Shawnee shouldn't have fouled so much!' Smile

Shawnee... thanks...that's right... Coach was Dave Fraley... as colorful a coach as has ever been around...
kyrifle Wrote:Here is a foot note to that game. Powell County made 70 of 89 free throws for the game.( Probably still a record for 1 game. ) Winfred Hughes, PC's go to guy made 26 of 33 free throws. At one point in the game PC made 23 consecutive free throws.
Dave Fraley, who played high school ball at Meade Memorial out of the 15th region, coached PC that year. Dave later won a state championship with Pulaski County. Shawnee finished the game with only 3 players, everyone else had fouled out.
The referee's that called that game were from the 15th region.
I don't remember the court being really small, but probably a 74 footer, it's been to long to remember all the detailes.

Ole Winfred?? Shoot, he was my substitue teacher today!!! Sorry, I just had to throw that out there. Lol.
nm
kyrifle Wrote:I never said anything about Tom Payne playing in this game. Don't know what your point is here.

basketballwhiz stated that Tom Payne played for Shawnee when they were upset by Powell County. If you are correct he didn't. If whiz is correct it wasn't 72.
East Ridge over Pikeville in 2008 District.

Eliminated the Panthers from the 15th Region tournament. Which no one expected due to making it to the championship the year before
If...Then Wrote:East Ridge over Pikeville in 2008 District.

Eliminated the Panthers from the 15th Region tournament. Which no one expected due to making it to the championship the year before
That is the worst example ever. That was barely an upset.
Panther Thunder Wrote:That is the worst example ever. That was barely an upset.

Then what was it?
If...Then Wrote:Then what was it?
A good East Ridge team beat a mediocre Pikeville team, That was in turmoil. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hows that an upset when they didnt have Gatlin, they played the worst game of the year, and East Ridge only won by 1 point?
rojas Wrote:basketballwhiz stated that Tom Payne played for Shawnee when they were upset by Powell County. If you are correct he didn't. If whiz is correct it wasn't 72.

I'm sure it was 1972, I can tellyou exactly where I was sitting.
letthebighogroot Wrote:You know what???? After taking a good hard look around, I agree. Most of the illogical SV posters have taken a hiatus until the coming basketball season. I wish to issue an apology to yourself and basketballfanonly. As for Elliott, I ain't here to brag. If you want to talk about how I really feel about SV, Hazard, and Elliott..........PM me.

Fair enough. I accept your apology, and I promise that when b-ball season rolls around, if I see SV posters making claims that they are state title contenders, I'll nail that right there. I don't generally like to put any team down, but I will try to give a more "realistic" perspective on things.

Trust me, I don't like it when one or two SV fans make us all look like loons, either.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Ville Wrote:Hows that an upset when they didnt have Gatlin, they played the worst game of the year, and East Ridge only won by 1 point?

that is called an upset my dear friend. :p
Panther Thunder Wrote:A good East Ridge team beat a mediocre Pikeville team, That was in turmoil. Nothing more, nothing less.

East Ridge wasn't good last year. Are you crazy! Pikeville wasnt all that good either but still could've beaten ER.
An upset is when one team, beats a better team. So it was in fact, an upset. Just like if then said, Pikeville went to the Region chip the year before so everyone expected them to win. ER won to knock them out and to go get massacred by Shelby Valley. Therefore it was, an UPSET
kyrifle Wrote:Here is a foot note to that game. Powell County made 70 of 89 free throws for the game.( Probably still a record for 1 game. ) Winfred Hughes, PC's go to guy made 26 of 33 free throws. At one point in the game PC made 23 consecutive free throws.
Dave Fraley, who played high school ball at Meade Memorial out of the 15th region, coached PC that year. Dave later won a state championship with Pulaski County. Shawnee finished the game with only 3 players, everyone else had fouled out.
The referee's that called that game were from the 15th region.
I don't remember the court being really small, but probably a 74 footer, it's been to long to remember all the detailes.

Yeah, if i'm not mistaken the Butcher brothers called that game, and it probably was the overall most one-sided game in any level of basketball, but hey, a wins a win Smile
Also, I have the RECORD BOOKS for that game, and every other game from the 70's-80's, I'll find em tommorow and settle the issue of the year and tom payne
Whitesburg beating Perry Central in 2002 in the regional tournament after Perry went to whitesburg about a week earlier and beat them 40 some points. I can remember it like yesterday because i cryed my eyes out.
1992-93 season, Hazard upset Dilce Combs in the 1st round of the 54th District Tournament. Dilce Combs had just won the All "A" State title and was sure to make a good run at a regional title. Hazard won 79-74. Anyone remember this game?
Scott County over #1 Huntington Heights in 2007, pretty big upset if I have to say so myself
A-TRAIN Wrote:Scott County over #1 Huntington Heights in 2007, pretty big upset if I have to say so myself

Probably the 2nd best high school basketball game I have ever seen.

You honestly believe that was one of the biggest upsets ever? :eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:You honestly believe that was one of the biggest upsets ever? :eek:

Finally, thank you for this
The Ville Wrote:Finally, thank you for this

I graduated from ER, was not even at that game, and can assure everyone that it should not be deemed even an upset, muchless one of the biggest ever. Sure East Ridge's team has been down and out in the last few years and was probably the worst of the two teams but it was not like the bottom of the barrel team pulled this huge, unexpected win out of nowhere over the top dogs and shocked everyone invovled. It was a pretty fair matchup as I feel it always has been between those two teams. I would say between 2002-2004 that some upsets were pulled off by ER in the region tournament but this game is not considered one in my eyes.

A-TRAIN Wrote:Scott County over #1 Huntington Heights in 2007, pretty big upset if I have to say so myself

is that a crossbreed school between huntington high, and university heights??