Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morgan Newton to UK
I'll be the devil's advocate here. I watched the first half of the game and was really not that impressed. I would not compare him to Russell or Young. Woodson with more speed is more accurate. If he tries to run over people in the SEC like that he will have a short career.
FBALL Wrote:I'll be the devil's advocate here. I watched the first half of the game and was really not that impressed. I would not compare him to Russell or Young. Woodson with more speed is more accurate. If he tries to run over people in the SEC like that he will have a short career.

Did notice that he took too many hits and I was telling my friend that your not going to be able to do that in the SEC. But he does have a cannon for an arm, not that accurate but has potential, and he has the ability to scramble.

I think that Newton is a lot like Woodson.
I really like this kid. He looked really good today in his game. What I really like about him is that if nothing is there he can run for a first down or at least get positive yards. With him being able to run the defenses have to respect that along with his arm.
FBALL Wrote:I'll be the devil's advocate here. I watched the first half of the game and was really not that impressed. I would not compare him to Russell or Young. Woodson with more speed is more accurate. If he tries to run over people in the SEC like that he will have a short career.
If hes not like Young or Russell and is "Only" as good as Woodson Ill take that any day of the week.
Newton was no doubt impressive. With his size and maybe adding a little weight to his frame, maybe he could become our version of Tim Tebow.
Chigger Wrote:Newton was no doubt impressive. With his size and maybe adding a little weight to his frame, maybe he could become our version of Tim Tebow.

Rule #1: Never compare a UK player to a Florida player under any circumstances.

I'm just joking, I watched this game and he was very impressive battling from behind to win. He reminds me alot of Tebow but I think he might be a tad bit faster. The future is def. looking bright for Brookes and company.

He is nowhere close to Vince Young...

I disagree with your assessment of Jamarcus Russell. When Russell was a freshman at LSU he looked very similar to what I saw out of Newton. Strong arm, composed, accurate but not pinpoint, and definately the pass first run second mentality.

Even in Russell's prime at LSU he rarely ran or had designed runs called for him. His mobility was solely to move the pocket and evade pressure.

If UK fans are expecting Newton to be a Tebow or Young type, running the ball over 10 times per game, they are sadly mistaken. Phillips offense and Sander's coaching are not designed for that.
I thought he looked pretty good at times. I think he will grow into one of the better quarterbacks UK has had in quite a while.
EKU Alum, I think you meant to quote me, but to what you were saying. Before the game started the announcers said that. Simply what I said was that he had a big arm to the type that Russell had. He is mobile no doubt, but look what Randy Sanders has done, all his QB's have been strong armed pocket passers and with Newton's running ability he is comparible to Tebow. The only exception being that Newton is 3 feet taller and 15 less pounds than Tim.