Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slipknot Sues BK
AUGUST 17--Claiming that its image and persona have been hijacked as part of a marketing campaign for Burger King's new chicken fries, the costumed heavy metal band Slipknot is threatening the fast food giant with legal action. In the below August 4 letter, the band's lawyers charge that Coq Roq--a mock metal band featured in new Burger King commercials--was created as a "look-alike, sound alike 'band' in order to influence the Slipknot generation to purchase Chicken Fries." Counsel for the band (which is pictured at right) notes that Coq Roq--whose masked members are supposed to resemble badass chickens--has blatantly copied several of Slipknot's signature masks, including a gas mask, a kabuki-style face covering, and a mask with dreadlocks attached. Coq Roq's lead guitarist, The Talisman, is pictured at left. Details of Slipknot's beef with Burger King surfaced in connection with an August 12 federal court filing made by the fast food company and its advertising firm. Burger King wants a U.S. District Court judge in Miami to issue a "declaratory judgment" that the Coq Roq campaign does not infringe on Slipknot's publicity and trademark rights. As for the similar masks, Burger King lawyers--who apparently read the metal mag Revolver--note that many groups "wear masks and/or make-up to accomplish a mask-like effect, including but not limited to the bands KISS, Gwar, Insane Clown Posse, Mushroomhead, Mudvayne, Marilyn Manson, Los Straitjackets, and the Spits." (10 pages)

I knew when i saw that comercial for the 1st time, there would be legal trouble. I KNEW IT.

Gas Mask-Sid Wilson
Kabuki Mask-Joey Jordison
Dreads-Corey Taylor

BK is gonna get sued i think.
That's stupid if they sue them
It's stupid, but I also thought upon seeing the commercials that they were a rip-off of Slipknot. I don't even like Slipknot, but I can see where they are coming from.
The Godfather Wrote:It's stupid, but I also thought upon seeing the commercials that they were a rip-off of Slipknot. I don't even like Slipknot, but I can see where they are coming from.

Agree with this whole post.
It is stupid but they will probably sue again. Not sure if they will win, but more than likely legal action will happen.
i got that link off of The Smoking Gun, and they said that it was more like a Cease and Desist.... Sue was too strong of a word for me to have used.
Lol my halo buddies saw this commercial one day at my house,

"What a ------- waste of commercial money... That's just stupid"

I'll agree too, most advertising is just full of it, they try to hit the right generation with advertisements, and the saddest thing I can see is that it works.
If you go to http://www.coqroq.com, there are music videos. There is one video where they all put their hands in the middle of the "huddle". On Slipknot's "Disasterpieces" DVD, they do that same thing before the concert.

See, BK originally asked SK to do the commercial, and they declined. BK couldnt take a hint.

And, They ARE suing them... it is on http://www.blackgoat.com