Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wins Class 3A?
Who Wins?

Much like the other classes we will probably see another rematch of last years state championship game between Belfry & Lou. Central. Other teams that may be able to make it to Papa John's are Breathitt County, Russell, Harlan County, and Paducah Tilghman.
Favorite: Lou. Central

Top Contenders: Belfry, Paducah Tilghman

Contenders: Russell, Breathitt

Longshots but Possible: Harlan County, Mason County, Etown, Sheldon Clark
Quote:Longshots but Possible: Harlan County, Mason County, Etown, Sheldon Clark

:letsparty
I believe Central is an overwhelming favorite. I don't really see them losing to another 3A team.

Possibles : Belfry, Breathitt County, Paducah Tighlman, Russell.
Central is going to be dominate, they may be a little shaky on Offense at the begining of the season as they replace their QB and TB...they did do the same thing year before last when they lost Tim Hughley and came back even stronger with Taylor...Look for the Yellowjackets to be even better this year.

PT is a really good team, and they havnt even played a game, basically returning their entire team, they should have something to say about who wins state.

Belfry is much like PT, their core is back, maybe a few loses but nothing major. The one question is Running back??? Dotson is good, a really good FB, but the HB spot is questionable, people say that Ivan Lee is a good back, but he didnt have much to show in both games i watched him play, seemed to be much more of a defensive player

Harlan Breathitt and Russell will also have great season but just dont seem to have the fire power to make it to state
Lou. Central
The Iceboxx Wrote:Belfry is much like PT, their core is back, maybe a few loses but nothing major. The one question is Running back??? Dotson is good, a really good FB, but the HB spot is questionable, people say that Ivan Lee is a good back, but he didnt have much to show in both games i watched him play, seemed to be much more of a defensive player

Belfry returns three of their top 4 runners from last season, plus a running threat at QB. Thomas Varney will have a big season and bring much needed speed. He probably averaged over 12 yards per carry last season. They return between 2200-2500 yards from last season between Elkins, Lee, Varney, Dotson, and Timmy Lovern.

Belfry's only questions are in the secondary where they have to replace two starters and rely on two key offensive starters as the other returnees and their ability to keep up with Central's team speed.
I thought Harlan County is 5A?
sore_looser Wrote:I thought Harlan County is 5A?

They are playing Cawood's schedule in Class AAA this season, they will be AAAAA starting next season
EKUAlum05 Wrote:They are playing Cawood's schedule in Class AAA this season, they will be AAAAA starting next season

Another Mercer Co.
Sad No love for da Bears?!!!
Doesn't sound to fair?!?
This has been discussed in great detail and I agree with you, it doesn't sound like an ideal situation. Nonetheless it's the way it is and this is our first year and we are excited to death just to be here! Who knows what will happen? We in Harlan County are gonna support our Black Bears, Coach Larkey and staff! Feel the love!! Wink
Mama Bear Wrote:This has been discussed in great detail and I agree with you, it doesn't sound like an ideal situation. Nonetheless it's the way it is and this is our first year and we are excited to death just to be here! Who knows what will happen? We in Harlan County are gonna support our Black Bears, Coach Larkey and staff! Feel the love!! Wink

Best of luck to you and your team Mama Bear, just some hard feelings having a son on the 2006 Russell team that got beat at state by Mercer County. Again, Good Luck!
They can put a big asterick by our name this year for all we care.:p Thanks for the luck! We'll take what we can get!

GO Black Bears! :letsparty
Mama Bear Wrote:This has been discussed in great detail and I agree with you, it doesn't sound like an ideal situation. Nonetheless it's the way it is and this is our first year and we are excited to death just to be here! Who knows what will happen? We in Harlan County are gonna support our Black Bears, Coach Larkey and staff! Feel the love!! Wink
It's all about the love Mama Bear!Wink
Belfry or Louisville Central again with Paducah Tighlman and Russell looking on the outside in.
I see it going down like this.

3A semi finals
Belfry vs. Russell
Central vs. PT

3A Title game
Central vs. Belfry

3A champion
Louisville Central repeats
The Iceboxx Wrote:I see it going down like this.

3A semi finals
Belfry vs. Russell
Central vs. PT

3A Title game
Central vs. Belfry

3A champion
Louisville Central repeats
Belfry plays Russell in the great 8 not the final 4 this year. District play-off changes will not have them play to see who goes to Louisville.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Belfry plays Russell in the great 8 not the final 4 this year. District play-off changes will not have them play to see who goes to Louisville.
Russell has a few games to win before they can start fantasizing about a Belfry game.
DevilsWin Wrote:Russell has a few games to win before they can start fantasizing about a Belfry game.

I agree. You got to take them one at a time.
Yea I was making apoint of the playoff system change not meaning that we will actually do this... just a scenerio...... Even though I think it will be this was just a test of the BlueGrass Rivals information system, this was only a test.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Can anyone tell who how many players Central lost? I think we need to give Belfry a little more love. Remember, they played and almost beat Central. A few critical mistakes by the coaches that caused major turnovers. "NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND"<--Lee Corso. I think Belfry will be a factor to bring a title home to the mountains.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Can anyone tell who how many players Central lost? I think we need to give Belfry a little more love. Remember, they played and almost beat Central. A few critical mistakes by the coaches that caused major turnovers. "NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND"<--Lee Corso. I think Belfry will be a factor to bring a title home to the mountains.

Offensively, Central lost a ton of talent. They lost QB Leland Banks, Finals MVP HB Darrell Taylor, FB Tyrell Wadlington, their top WR and a couple O-linemen..... BUT.... Central will always be loaded with strong, fast, athletic players to take those spots. In fact, Central has been ultra impressive in passing leagues and is expected to potentially be better on offense.

Defensively, they lost Wadlington who a monster up front, Taylor doubled as a DB and was the one who returned the INT for what ended up being the critical play that defeated Belfry. BUT..... Central returns UK signee DT Mister Cobble (IMO the best overall player in the state this season), 3-Star D-1 Prospect LB Ridge Wilson, LB Tim Patterson who was their leading tackler last seasona nde xpected to be the Top Ranked recruit in KY next season, and DE Jordan Tennyson who also projects as a major D-1 recruit.

Cental will be one of the Top 10 overall teams in the state of Kentucky.... Belfry will be Top 15 regardless of class...
Belfry did make a few critical mistakes but so did central, most people think that Central should have beaten belfry by 30 points, they threw three int's in the endzone, all they should have done was run the football, you just cant play that shoulda coulda woulda game.

The Belfry-Central game was a good one, and looks to be a better rematch this season.

While Belfry does return a lot of Belfry talent....Central returns a lot of College talent. Several players this year will sign with D-1 schools, and that doesnt include the states overall best junior in Patterson, who in a season wont be looking at UK of UofL, but rather the likes of OSU-Florida likes
The Iceboxx Wrote:Belfry did make a few critical mistakes but so did central, most people think that Central should have beaten belfry by 30 points, they threw three int's in the endzone, all they should have done was run the football, you just cant play that shoulda coulda woulda game.

The Belfry-Central game was a good one, and looks to be a better rematch this season.

While Belfry does return a lot of Belfry talent....Central returns a lot of College talent. Several players this year will sign with D-1 schools, and that doesnt include the states overall best junior in Patterson, who in a season wont be looking at UK of UofL, but rather the likes of OSU-Florida likes

People who say that also don't know much about football.

Lou. Central threw 3 INT's because Banks was constantly harassed by Belfry's pass rush and forced every throw. Even his TD completions came on plays where the coverage was in place. He was 5-12 passing for the game.

For those subscribing that all Central had to do was run the ball were also blatantly mislead. Over half of Central's rush yards came on two carries, the TD runs by Taylor. Central gained a grand total of 150 yards on 32 carries. Take away those 93 yards and they gained a whopping 57 yards on 30 carries. Less than 2 yards per carry.

Also, I find it unfathonable that Central could have beat Belfry by 30. The Pirates outgained Central, constantly disrupted Central in the backfield, and literally was a late fumble away from the lead and win. (Central would not have beat Belfry through the air). Sure Central could have won by more with a few different bounces of the ball... but assume Belfry doesn't throw that INT and instead gets a FG before the half (20-20), assume that Belfry doesnt fumble late and scores a TD (27-13 B), and assume the TD pass to Robinson doesnt split the defenders (27-7 B), and assume Belfry catches any of the three dropped passes in the first half when they got behind the defense (34-7 B). Suddenly the arguement could be made that Belfry could have won by 4 TD's as well.

As you said...should coulda woulda doesn't work. The bottom line was Central was better prepared, hadmore breaks go their way, and stepped up huge in the clutch. They earned and deserved their victory, and a rematch will be an excellent matchup if it ever comes to fruition
Louisville Centrral will have far more athletic talent than ANYBODY in 3A.
2 words ..............Breathitt Bobcats.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:2 words ..............Breathitt Bobcats.

What has changed so much that they will be able to make 34 points on a Belfry team who returns just as much talent and more depth?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:What has changed so much that they will be able to make 34 points on a Belfry team who returns just as much talent and more depth?
I think Breathitt has closed the gap on Belfry. Belfry lost their two best players IMO.
Breathitt returns thier best.

Also that game really snowballed on Breathitt County last year. Yes Belfry had everything to do with that but it was not a game in which the ball ever bounced Breathitts way.