Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dawahares to Close Remaining Locations
Kentucky's own clothing store, Dawahares has decided to close its 22 remaining locations. Dawahares is mostly known for its sale of UK merchandise.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/22925574.html

I'm honestly saddened to see it go because the only place to get good UK shirts now is the Kentucky Corner in the Ashland & Fayette Mall.
gas prices must of got the best of them.
RavenBoy Wrote:gas prices must of got the best of them.

No.

Poor upper management, with bad expansions and got away from their core business.

They were known for upper end clothing and started selling Abercrombie knock offs and cheaper made clothes. They also expanded into markets they couldn't compete, like Huntington and Memphis and wouldn't close stores that were not making plan.

The hope is someone will come in and buy the name and continue operating the profitable stores and the Cat-Bird stores.
NEXT Wrote:No.

Poor upper management, with bad expansions and got away from their core business.

They were known for upper end clothing and started selling Abercrombie knock offs and cheaper made clothes. They also expanded into markets they couldn't compete, like Huntington and Memphis and wouldn't close stores that were not making plan.

The hope is someone will come in and buy the name and continue operating the profitable stores and the Cat-Bird stores.
Youre right and also dont forget the 400 lb gorilla better known as Wal-Mart. Im sure they had a hand in it too.
This is a shame, really. The Pikeville store was always packed whenever I went in there. Also, it was apparently turning a profit, since it was excluded from the original plan to close only those locations that were unprofitable.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It's a sad day for KY clothes buyers from Paducah to Pikeville.
More Cowbell Wrote:This is a shame, really. The Pikeville store was always packed whenever I went in there. Also, it was apparently turning a profit, since it was excluded from the original plan to close only those locations that were unprofitable.

Evidently the South Williamson store was also!! The mall will go to pot if they don't get a store in there with some "clout"....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
The bank forced Dawahares hand and would not give them a chance to turn business around..all of the mountain stores do very well. It is a sad day when a business has been around for 101 years and they are forced out. Times are bad in the retail industry Goody has filed, Old Navy is getting ready to, Dillards is getting ready to file if they already haven't, and the list could go on.
Dawahare's, Goody's, Old Navy, Dillard's and I heard yesterday that Steve and Barrys' is struggling as well.....I hope everyone likes shopping for clothes at Wal Mart...that seems to be where we are headed
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Dawahare's, Goody's, Old Navy, Dillard's and I heard yesterday that Steve and Barrys' is struggling as well.....I hope everyone likes shopping for clothes at Wal Mart...that seems to be where we are headed

I agree.
I believe there first store ever was in Neon, Ky..I wonder who will dress about everyone we see on t.v. now. Dawahares dressed many of the t.v. stations and coaches at UK for years! Sad day for such a historic Kentucky name and chain!
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Dawahare's, Goody's, Old Navy, Dillard's and I heard yesterday that Steve and Barrys' is struggling as well.....I hope everyone likes shopping for clothes at Wal Mart...that seems to be where we are headed

:eek:

Guess I'll have to check out Peebles...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote::eek:

Guess I'll have to check out Peebles...

They will be next.....................
Steve and Barry's has gone bankrupt.