Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the biggest rivalry in the state of Kentucky?
What do you all think the biggest and baddest rivalries in the state are. Just wondering eveyones opinion.
State-wide...
St. Xavier vs. Trinity
Beechwood vs. Newport Central Catholic
Danville vs. Boyle County

Mountains...
Pikeville vs. Belfry
Paintsville vs. Johnson Central
Russell vs. Ashland Blazer
Russell vs. Raceland
Hazard vs. Perry Central
South Floyd vs. Allen Central
Who is Prestonsburg's rival?
In order.

Trinity-Saint Xavier--30,000 plus fans....Countless titles, and nationally known for being the biggest rivalry in HS football.

Male-Manuel--The best public HS in the state every year, Oldest rivalry in the nation.

Beechwood-NCC--State contenders every year, They rule small class football in the north.

Belfry-Pikeville--This game is mountain football, also the true pike county bowl.

Boyle CO-Danville--The battle for titletown, has been one of the stats top games the last 10 years.

Fort Campbell-Puducah Tilghman--Also two of the most talented teams in the state, almost always the best of the WEST.

Lou.Western-Lou. Central--Traditionally the game for the innercity of louisville--always the fastest team in the state, with loads of talent
I have to think for the Harlan County Black Bears that the biggest game of the year will have to be our very first one which will be at Letcher County Central. OR it could be our very first home game against the supposed district favorite Breathitt County!
There are some rivalries that our mountain schools can't touch!

Trinity- StX- The granddaddy of them all...I predict they will have more fans in PJCS then most UL football games this year

Male- Manual- The oldest rivalry in the state dating back to the 1800's.

Highlands-CovCath- Surprised this hasnt been listed. If not for Highlands being in their district CovCath could very well have 6 or 7 state titles more than they already have at the minimum

Beechwood-NewCath- More merit when both were 1A trading state titles, but still two of the top 3 in their respected small school classes every year

Belfry/Pikeville used to rate up there with the best of them,but since the 2000's started it has beena bit one sided. Danville/Boyle has only became one of the states elite rivalries due to the success Boyle had under Chuck Smith and the birth of "Title Town".
Mama Bear Wrote:I have to think for the Harlan County Black Bears that the biggest game of the year will have to be our very first one which will be at Letcher County Central. OR it could be our very first home game against the supposed district favorite Breathitt County!
Sorry Mama Bear, While I love your enthusiasm for your team, I don't believe Harlan County can claim ANY rivalry until it has played at least one game.
Give it some time...I believe your Black Bears could be a force in the future...they just don't belong in this thread.

Go Black Bears!!! Mama Bear is making me a fan.
Love the excitement.
My apologies. :o I'm afraid my ignorance is showing again. I meant to comment in the best games of the upcoming season. I wish we had a good rivalry. I think next year our Bell County game will begin a huge rivalry between the two counties + Coach Larkey and Dudley's playing history with one another. We are so excited over here in HArlan County. :howdy:
I think Russell and Ashland game is a good one.
Trinity v St X
Highlands v Cov Cath
EKUAlum05 Wrote:There are some rivalries that our mountain schools can't touch!

Trinity- StX- The granddaddy of them all...I predict they will have more fans in PJCS then most UL football games this year

Male- Manual- The oldest rivalry in the state dating back to the 1800's.

Highlands-CovCath- Surprised this hasnt been listed. If not for Highlands being in their district CovCath could very well have 6 or 7 state titles more than they already have at the minimum

Beechwood-NewCath- More merit when both were 1A trading state titles, but still two of the top 3 in their respected small school classes every year

Belfry/Pikeville used to rate up there with the best of them,but since the 2000's started it has beena bit one sided. Danville/Boyle has only became one of the states elite rivalries due to the success Boyle had under Chuck Smith and the birth of "Title Town".
Attendence at Russell VS Ashland is never less than 5,000 and when both teams are ranked you can expect nearly 8,000 or more.

Does Belfry and Pikeville draw that kind of a crowd?
The Galloping Ghost Wrote:Who is Prestonsburg's rival?

The only big rivalry in football we really ever had was against Belfry, since we don't schedule the Pirates anymore then I guess our rivalry is against Paintsville, Breathitt County, and Pikeville.
DevilsWin Wrote:Attendence at Russell VS Ashland is never less than 5,000 and when both teams are ranked you can expect nearly 8,000 or more.

Does Belfry and Pikeville draw that kind of a crowd?

Used to.... but not anymore... which touches on the intent of what I was saying. What sued ot be one of the state's best, most competitive, and well known rivalries isn't what it used to be. Same as if either Ashland or Russell started to completely dominate a series.
Paintsville and Johnson Central has to be up there .Although it isnt near what it was from about 3 years ago on back. Central has been to good to make it a game the past couple years.
Ashland didn't bring very many fans last year to Russell. It was a shame too, their team put up a good fight. I was very disappointed in the Ashland fan base last year.
[quote=The Iceboxx]Belfry-Pikeville--This game is mountain football, also the true pike county bowl./quote]

I agree that this game is the true Pike County Bowl and that it is eastern Ky football, but we have to start playing better against the big red nation.
EkyLb Wrote:Ashland didn't bring very many fans last year to Russell. It was a shame too, their team put up a good fight. I was very disappointed in the Ashland fan base last year.
They figured why buy a ticket to see your team get pumeled.
DevilsWin Wrote:They figured why buy a ticket to see your team get pumeled.

Hence my point from above about what happened to the Belfry/Pikeville series..... Big Grin
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Hence my point from above about what happened to the Belfry/Pikeville series..... Big Grin

2007 was the only time the gate has been low for that game in more than 10 years.

Funny thing about it is that Ashland is a AAAAA school and Russell is the smaller AAA school.
The Biggest Rivalry in the state which was what this thread is about is Trinity/ST.X nuf said.
DevilsWin Wrote:2007 was the only time the gate has been low for that game in more than 10 years.

Funny thing about it is that Ashland is a AAAAA school and Russell is the smaller AAA school.

If Ashland is mediocre and Russell appears strong again this year, expect it to be the 2nd time.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If Ashland is mediocre and Russell appears strong again this year, expect it to be the 2nd time.
From what I hear that will be the case.

Rashard Carter is reported to not be on the team.
Real Badman Wrote:The Biggest Rivalry in the state which was what this thread is about is Trinity/ST.X nuf said.
I don't think anyone would disagree.
DevilsWin Wrote:From what I hear that will be the case.

Rashard Carter is reported to not be on the team.

Assuming the Tomcats struggle again... in your opinion, and from grumblings you have heard in NEKY, will their be a change of regime at the end of this season?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Assuming the Tomcats struggle again... in your opinion, and from grumblings you have heard in NEKY, will their be a change of regime at the end of this season?
The Tomcat Alumni are nearly as bad as UK Alumni.

I think it all depends on their perception.

If the Alumni think Coach Hart doesn't have the personnel to compete he may get a reprieve after this year.

If not, he's done.
Noone even mention the Louisville Male/Manual rivalry? The oldest HS rivalry in the country I believe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hig...ears%2B%29

Well its the oldest west of the Appalachians anyways.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If Ashland is mediocre and Russell appears strong again this year, expect it to be the 2nd time.

They play at Putnam this year. The last time they played there, it went to triple OT. It will be packed this year. I'm not sure of the capacity, but the last time they stopped letting people in. I must add there is no better place to watch a game than Putnam stadium, in my opion.
While rivalry games are always close, simply because of the bad blood/history/bragging rights that is all on the line, this game wont be very close, Ashland is just in a constant spiral downwards.

They dont have a whole lot returning, even more so if Carter isnt playing, im not certain that kids truly believe that they are any better than the players at Russell, which is the opposite with the Red Devils
Powell vs. Estill is a pretty big rivalry, IMO.