Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
57th District 08-09
Now summer play is over who is the favorite. After seeing all the district teams play this summer I'll have to go with Johnson Central and Sheldon Clark as the 2 front runners.
Sheldon Clark would have to play with alot more discipline than they did last year. Johnson Central should be very good and depending on where some kids end up, Paintsville just might be back in the mix. Lawrence County has talent returning and Magoffin County will always play hard as long as Coach West is there. I would have to say that JC would have to be pre-season favorite after going to the finals of the region and returning just about everybody.
devilhead Wrote:Now summer play is over who is the favorite. After seeing all the district teams play this summer I'll have to go with Johnson Central and Sheldon Clark as the 2 front runners.

You have got to be joking. Just because you play on the team now don't go making statments that you can't back up. Sheldon Clark is awful. Roger Harless is a joke. He can't control the kids, he can't communicate with kids, and he is a proven loser every where he has been. At Tug Valley he couldn't win the big one with more talent than everyone in his class. At SC the last time he lost in the regional tournament when he was the best team in it by at least double digits. Roger will drive SC basketball to all time lows, while also trying to ruin any other program he can. Someone should ask him about his "letter". Sheldon Clark will not challange next year, and probabley any year that he is the coach.
Super-Card Wrote:You have got to be joking. Just because you play on the team now don't go making statments that you can't back up. Sheldon Clark is awful. Roger Harless is a joke. He can't control the kids, he can't communicate with kids, and he is a proven loser every where he has been. At Tug Valley he couldn't win the big one with more talent than everyone in his class. At SC the last time he lost in the regional tournament when he was the best team in it by at least double digits. Roger will drive SC basketball to all time lows, while also trying to ruin any other program he can. Someone should ask him about his "letter". Sheldon Clark will not challange next year, and probabley any year that he is the coach.

First I don't play for nor am I a student at SC, I am a 30 year old former player and I still support my team. You must have not followed the team this summer they finished 18 - 6 and were very competitive in there losses. This thread was not started to bash any team or players just to get thoughts on how the district will play out. Im not a big Roger Harless supporter but they did look pretty good this summer. You shouldn't bash the program and hurt the players just because either you or your kid can't cut it for Harless. Sounds like someone needs to work harder.
devilhead Wrote:First I don't play for nor am I a student at SC, I am a 30 year old former player and I still support my team. You must have not followed the team this summer they finished 18 - 6 and were very competitive in there losses. This thread was not started to bash any team or players just to get thoughts on how the district will play out. Im not a big Roger Harless supporter but they did look pretty good this summer. You shouldn't bash the program and hurt the players just because either you or your kid can't cut it for Harless. Sounds like someone needs to work harder.

What does a summer record have to do with anything? It doesn't matter how many games you win in the summer. They got beat by Paintsville a team that lost not only every meaingful player, but also their coach. SC will be at the bottom of the 57th regardless of how many "summer" games they win. Just like last year.
JC and SC are my picks for this district. JC should have the best player in the district in Ian Welch but SC's Justin Porter could challenge him for top player if he plays like I have seen him this summer.
Well lc and sc scrimmaged this summer and lc won by like 29. They started the points over every quarter but if you added up the scores at the end lc won by like 29. I think they played around 5-6 quarters.
mjballer23 Wrote:Well lc and sc scrimmaged this summer and lc won by like 29. They started the points over every quarter but if you added up the scores at the end lc won by like 29. I think they played around 5-6 quarters.

You must be mistaken, LC and SC never played this summer, game was canceled because of LC baseball still playing. better get your facts straight on who you have played and beaten.
k
devilhead Wrote:You must be mistaken, LC and SC never played this summer, game was canceled because of LC baseball still playing. better get your facts straight on who you have played and beaten.

Actually they played twice once at LC and once at SC, one both times. Maybe u should get ur facts right. Smile
IMO summer ball doesn't dictate anything that will happen during the regular season because in many cases teams don't have all of their players at this time. With that said I think JC has to be the early favorite because of their talent returning with Welch, Parker, and Whitaker. LC would have to be my next choice because they are quick and can shoot probably better than any team in the district. Paintsville would be next followed by SC then MC.
JC_Eagle_Alumni Wrote:IMO summer ball doesn't dictate anything that will happen during the regular season because in many cases teams don't have all of their players at this time. With that said I think JC has to be the early favorite because of their talent returning with Welch, Parker, and Whitaker. LC would have to be my next choice because they are quick and can shoot probably better than any team in the district. Paintsville would be next followed by SC then MC.

Agreed---summer ball usually doesn't mean squat... I would say JC would also have the early upperhand in the 57th district. I then think that Paintsville, LC, and Magoffin are a neck and neck with SC behind those. I think the 57th will be WEAK this year with JC having the most talent of the 5 schools. LC is just not a bball school---and I don't see it happenin this year either.
I think the 57th is up for grabs this year. I think anyone could win it. However, if I had to pick a favorite I'd say JC. JMO
transplanttiger Wrote:Agreed---summer ball usually doesn't mean squat... I would say JC would also have the early upperhand in the 57th district. I then think that Paintsville, LC, and Magoffin are a neck and neck with SC behind those. I think the 57th will be WEAK this year with JC having the most talent of the 5 schools. LC is just not a bball school---and I don't see it happenin this year either.

LC brings back 5 starters this year. Should be a fun and exciting year for them.
I think JC and Paintsville are still at the top. I mean lets face it. The 57th lost just about everyone on all teams and there not going to win a regional anytime soon. Paintsville has the Tiller kid and the Daniels kid. JC has Parker and he is great. Who does Maggoffin have, or SC or LC.
who is going to be starting for SC this year. Anyone know?
BasketballGuy Wrote:I think JC and Paintsville are still at the top. I mean lets face it. The 57th lost just about everyone on all teams and there not going to win a regional anytime soon. Paintsville has the Tiller kid and the Daniels kid. JC has Parker and he is great. Who does Maggoffin have, or SC or LC.

Did you just read the last post i said LC returns everyone.
mjballer23 Wrote:Did you just read the last post i said LC returns everyone.

LC does not bring back 5 starters. The big man from last year was a senior and the Lester kid was a senior.
Paintsville will be very young but look out in a few years. The Tiller kid is a player.
schs_06 Wrote:who is going to be starting for SC this year. Anyone know?
I know a couple like B.J. Moore Brady Horn Bill Chapman and Justin Porter
I don't look for Paintsville to be a top the 57th this year, but I could be wrong. I'll still take JC or LC to take the 57th
I believe SC has a chance to win but i have JC winning it.
Cards10 Wrote:I know a couple like B.J. Moore Brady Horn Bill Chapman and Justin Porter

THANKS
schs_06 Wrote:THANKS

No Prob
JC is going to be the preseson favorite. P-ville will take some knocks early from lack of experience. SC and LC will be a toss up. I think the district is wide open for anyone to take it. It will be taken by the team with the most heart, because the talent at the end of the year will be about even between all the teams.
LC or JC has my vote
Personally IMO if JC doesn't win the 57th this year, then their coach needs to step back and reevaluate himself. They were a good team last year and they get pretty much their entire team back. The experience is crucial. I think they are beatable, but they would definitely have to be the district favorite.

As for Paintsville, they took a major hit last year with losing their top 6 players and coach. But they do have a good coach that has moved up and they do have talent. How well they do will depend on how quickly they make the transition and gain the experience necessary to play with the more varsity experienced teams. I seriously don't think they will win the district, but if they transition well then it isn't impossible.

I look for Lawrence Co., Magoffin Co. and Sheldon Clark to all be very competitive and capable of winning it. It will be JC's job to prevent them from doing so.

As for who I would predict to go to Region as the runner-up, that would be nearly impossible to guess. Depends on how the teams play and the draw. In other words, it is a toss up.
Super-Card Wrote:You have got to be joking. Just because you play on the team now don't go making statments that you can't back up. Sheldon Clark is awful. Roger Harless is a joke. He can't control the kids, he can't communicate with kids, and he is a proven loser every where he has been. At Tug Valley he couldn't win the big one with more talent than everyone in his class. At SC the last time he lost in the regional tournament when he was the best team in it by at least double digits. Roger will drive SC basketball to all time lows, while also trying to ruin any other program he can. Someone should ask him about his "letter". Sheldon Clark will not challange next year, and probabley any year that he is the coach.

Roger Harless has been a BIG WINNER everywhere he has been. In the '90's at SCHS in only 4 seasons he won 2 districts back-to-back. He was the last 57th coach to be able to claim mastery over Runyons of Paintsville. After Harless left SCHS, Paintsville ran roughshod over the other teams. Harless lost the regional tournament in '93 to Elkhorn City (with Todd Conley) in OVERTIME by 1 point.

At Tug Valley Harless was 115 - 28. The most games he ever lost in a season at TV was 6. They won 5 Sectionals in a row, and 4 regionals in only 5 years! That's a remarkable performance for any coach anywhere, anytime.

Roger Harless (a phenominal ball handler himself) taught KY's Miss Basketball, Ida Bowen, to handle the basketball among many other great players over the years. He has produced many all-staters like Kyle Gilman and John Slone in his career.

When Harless returned to SCHS, he turned Lady Card program around in 2 years. They were 3-21 the year before he came. First year with Lady Cards he was 17-16, the next year 17-15 and they won their first district game in four years all the while having Robin Harmon on the bench as headcoach in name only. That was the most unselfish coaching I've ever seen. If he had lost he would have taken the blame - if he won there was no guarantee he would get any credit.

Harless has taken over a really thankless job, now, of turning around the SCHS Boys team. It was an abysmal program for years. Everybody knows that - look at the record. Roger won more games last year in his first season than the previous years and got the first District win in 4 years. Harless is respected by everyone who appreciates great basketball and understands coaching. He is devoted to the game of basketball and coaches players that are dedicated to basketball too. Importantly, he is the most knowledgeable person about basketball you will ever talk to and willing to share what he knows.

Harless supports all the other sports at SCHS. He goes to all the different sports' games and even stepped in to coach the volleyball team last year when no one else would so the kids could play. His basketball team pays for many of the smaller sports and Harless is a very good fundraiser in the community too. These are the facts about Roger Harless and everyone at SCHS knows it.

When people attack him it has to be because of JEALOUSY, or lingering hurt feelings over the fact that the previous BB coach was fired. That's like everyone being mad at the new CEO of AIG on Wall Street because of loyalty to the fired CEO of AIG who ran the company into the ground. Harless did not covet the SCHS boys job as has been slanderously implyed in the Martin Co. newspaper's sports pages. ( the writer is a buddy of the previous coach) Harless was happy coaching the SCHS girls BB team and was enjoying the success. He had trained up the best player in the region in Carla Booth, only a freshman. He NEVER spoke a word against the previous boys coach that anybody ever heard. The Martin Co Bd of Ed fired the previous boys BB coach after warning him the previous year he had to do better. He didn't do better. Roger Harless had absolutely nothing to do with their decision.

Harless took the job because he was aked to by many, many citizens and parents and because he is a life long Martin Countian and just wants the best basketball for our kids. We in Martin Co. are thankful to have such an experienced, classy gentleman as our coach and look forward to the inevitable day when gripes about our coach come from other schools because we're beating them!

A long-time SCHS observer
new o Wrote:Paintsville will be very young but look out in a few years. The Tiller kid is a player.

Why does everyone talk about the Tiller kid so much. I mean yeah he's good but there are some other great players on that team.
Coach Gillis pie Wrote:Roger Harless has been a BIG WINNER everywhere he has been. In the '90's at SCHS in only 4 seasons he won 2 districts back-to-back. He was the last 57th coach to be able to claim mastery over Runyons of Paintsville. After Harless left SCHS, Paintsville ran roughshod over the other teams. Harless lost the regional tournament in '93 to Elkhorn City (with Todd Conley) in OVERTIME by 1 point.

At Tug Valley Harless was 115 - 28. The most games he ever lost in a season at TV was 6. They won 5 Sectionals in a row, and 4 regionals in only 5 years! That's a remarkable performance for any coach anywhere, anytime.

Roger Harless (a phenominal ball handler himself) taught KY's Miss Basketball, Ida Bowen, to handle the basketball among many other great players over the years. He has produced many all-staters like Kyle Gilman and John Slone in his career.

When Harless returned to SCHS, he turned Lady Card program around in 2 years. They were 3-21 the year before he came. First year with Lady Cards he was 17-16, the next year 17-15 and they won their first district game in four years all the while having Robin Harmon on the bench as headcoach in name only. That was the most unselfish coaching I've ever seen. If he had lost he would have taken the blame - if he won there was no guarantee he would get any credit.

Harless has taken over a really thankless job, now, of turning around the SCHS Boys team. It was an abysmal program for years. Everybody knows that - look at the record. Roger won more games last year in his first season than the previous years and got the first District win in 4 years. Harless is respected by everyone who appreciates great basketball and understands coaching. He is devoted to the game of basketball and coaches players that are dedicated to basketball too. Importantly, he is the most knowledgeable person about basketball you will ever talk to and willing to share what he knows.

Harless supports all the other sports at SCHS. He goes to all the different sports' games and even stepped in to coach the volleyball team last year when no one else would so the kids could play. His basketball team pays for many of the smaller sports and Harless is a very good fundraiser in the community too. These are the facts about Roger Harless and everyone at SCHS knows it.

When people attack him it has to be because of JEALOUSY, or lingering hurt feelings over the fact that the previous BB coach was fired. That's like everyone being mad at the new CEO of AIG on Wall Street because of loyalty to the fired CEO of AIG who ran the company into the ground. Harless did not covet the SCHS boys job as has been slanderously implyed in the Martin Co. newspaper's sports pages. ( the writer is a buddy of the previous coach) Harless was happy coaching the SCHS girls BB team and was enjoying the success. He had trained up the best player in the region in Carla Booth, only a freshman. He NEVER spoke a word against the previous boys coach that anybody ever heard. The Martin Co Bd of Ed fired the previous boys BB coach after warning him the previous year he had to do better. He didn't do better. Roger Harless had absolutely nothing to do with their decision.

Harless took the job because he was aked to by many, many citizens and parents and because he is a life long Martin Countian and just wants the best basketball for our kids. We in Martin Co. are thankful to have such an experienced, classy gentleman as our coach and look forward to the inevitable day when gripes about our coach come from other schools because we're beating them!

A long-time SCHS observer

Coach,

Could we quit living in the past? Come back to the future and
join us and please get over yourself. Get over yourself coach!!