Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Fact about High School State Champs
I was just looking at the Top 50 teams in the country and then was looking at the State Champs state by state. Kentucky, Alaska and Delaware are the only states who host 1 single state championship. New Jersey has like 20 state championship games. But almost every state has Divisions or size classes. Thought that was interesting...Would everyone like to have it the way it is, or change it to Class Championships such as 1A to 6A?
I watched a movie not too long ago ("The Final Season"....GREAT baseball movie by the way), and the plot surrounds Norway High School in Iowa. The school, at the time, has won 19 state baseball championships. I was curious, and learned that Iowa has Fall, Spring, and Summer State Championships. The school had won a combined 19 among all three seasons. I found it rather odd, but hey, I'd say they think KY is weird for doing it the way we do.

But as far as my preference, I would prefer to have one big tournament among all classes and school sizes, but that's just me.
I want a state champion.... not state championS
Love that last post man!
That is true I want just one state champion not like 20 like in New Jersey. There was three states that didnt even have a baseball league.
Love that post !
Well having many and having a few are two totally different things. If you want to level the playing field then there should be a class system. For example, PRP has about 1,500 boys they can choose from, Lawrence has about 300. That is not a level playing field by an means. I think it is all based off of revenue in the same way our Sweet Sixteen is in basketball. 48 other states agree that it should have class systems, and there are ways to do so and still keep the monatary value, but they refuse to evaluate it. Football does and they have no trouble with the monatary means.
ONE State Champion. Football, IMO, is the ONLY sport that should be seperated by class.
Don't think it will happen within the next 10 years. I think the KHSAA sees it as a threat to possibly starting a trend that would eventuallly class basketball.

I personally think 3-4 classes would be great.
I really hate the idea.... like I really do not want to talk to some guy and tell him that I won the State championship and he go..... Really, Which 1?..... It takes the pride away from it

But I do understand that a school that has 300 students can not really compete with a school with 3000.... I get that but I really do not want to go to classes
I don't like the 1 class state championships, but they are not going to change until the KHSAA feels it is economically feasible. I always cheer for the underdog (smaller classification) unless it is a team from Eastern KY. Bigger is not always better. Who from the eastern part of the state didn't like it when Paintsville won the state in basketball a few years back, LC in baseball this year, or Pike Co. Central in Girl's basketball last year? Bigger is not always better!
The fact is even if we went to classes, you still can't make the kids come out to play baseball. With video games, girls, and other things; it isn't like it use to be.