Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zach Cox is Mr. Baseball
PRP's Zack Cox is the 2008 Kentucky's Mr. Baseball award winner. Cox is a third baseman/pitcher that has signed with the University of Arkansas and was drafted in the 20th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers.

2008 stats: .457 Average, 49 hits, 13 2B,7 HR, 46 RBI : 10-0, 0.97 ERA, 67 IP, 108 K's, 16 BB
Couldn't think of anyone more deserving. This kid's a beast.
WheelsNdaSky Wrote:Couldn't think of anyone more deserving. This kid's a beast.

He is an all around ball player will be in the bigs by 2011
Mr. Cox looks to be the complete package in baseball. Five tool player?
CleanupMan Wrote:Mr. Cox looks to be the complete package in baseball. Five tool player?

4... speed really is not too solid

he hits for average and power
great arm
and above average glove
There are a couple of people on here who argued with me for days over him not going to get this award. For me it was a no-brainer, but there was some descent pitchers around the state this year, and winning the state title I am sure helped.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:There are a couple of people on here who argued with me for days over him not going to get this award. For me it was a no-brainer, but there was some descent pitchers around the state this year, and winning the state title I am sure helped.

Cox was the best hitter in the state and between 2-4 on the pitching ranks IMO.... He deserved the reward...
I also heard this week that he was a HARDCORE woker... that everyday for the past 4 years he was in the weight room at 5 30- 7 30... then class (on school days) and then from 5-9 he was in the batting cage
Just head and shoulders above the rest of the competition IMO! And I guess his numbers can back that up! Arkansas stole this kid!
Very deserving of this award. Congrats to him!!
Was privelaged to see this kid play at the state tourney. He is a great all-around player. Very deserving of the award. Good luck to him in the future.
how is this process done?

is there a group that votes or is it the coaches?
What pos. is he gonna play at Ark....Congrats Cox!
Just a great player. Congrats
MVP2 Wrote:What pos. is he gonna play at Ark....Congrats Cox!

I would guess they would either keep him at 3rd or move him to the outfield.... I am sure he will be a closer...
Bosox Fan Wrote:I would guess they would either keep him at 3rd or move him to the outfield.... I am sure he will be a closer...

I don't think if he is playing in the field he would be a closer. Smaller programs do this sometimes, but there are not too many D1 if any that use an everyday player as a closer or any kind of pitcher. He is not that good at 3rd base, but he has a cannon. If they are smart they will move him to the outfield, however, he was drafted as a 3rd baseman, but who knows.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I don't think if he is playing in the field he would be a closer. Smaller programs do this sometimes, but there are not too many D1 if any that use an everyday player as a closer or any kind of pitcher. He is not that good at 3rd base, but he has a cannon. If they are smart they will move him to the outfield, however, he was drafted as a 3rd baseman, but who knows.

Do you think he will pitch?
Bosox Fan Wrote:Do you think he will pitch?

I think it would be stupid to use him as a pitcher. He has the best bat in the state and granted his infield skills are not up to par, but he has plenty of time to develop that. He has an opportunity to be an outstanding player, but I think it will have to be hitting and not pitching. He touches 90 yes, but his fastball is very flat and college hitters will eat him alive if he pitches. It would be like taking Furcal out of the infield and putting him on the mound just because he throws in the 90's, if is better fitted for a position and to hit.
Cox deserved the award!
I saw Cox play several times and he is a machine on the field, one of the smoothest swings I have seen from a high schooler.
Great athlete....... Congrats
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I think it would be stupid to use him as a pitcher. He has the best bat in the state and granted his infield skills are not up to par, but he has plenty of time to develop that. He has an opportunity to be an outstanding player, but I think it will have to be hitting and not pitching. He touches 90 yes, but his fastball is very flat and college hitters will eat him alive if he pitches. It would be like taking Furcal out of the infield and putting him on the mound just because he throws in the 90's, if is better fitted for a position and to hit.

Arkansas U. has him listed as an INF/RHP on thier fall roster, here's a link:
http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml...ID=1583999

Brad Wilkerson had a fine career at the University of Florida as a right fielder and closer. Bobby Thigpen came out of the outfield to pitch for Mississippi State sometimes as well. Duel guys are a valuable commodity even at the D-I level, when they are good enough to do both.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Arkansas U. has him listed as an INF/RHP on thier fall roster, here's a link:
http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml...ID=1583999

Brad Wilkerson had a fine career at the University of Florida as a right fielder and closer. Bobby Thigpen came out of the outfield to pitch for Mississippi State sometimes as well. Duel guys are a valuable commodity even at the D-I level, when they are good enough to do both.

Wilkerson was the first player in NCAA history to record 20 home runs, 20 stolen bases, and 10 pitching wins in hte same season, 1998 at UF. Florida went to the CWS that year, and Wilkerson was named College Player of the Year by Rotary Smith.

Thigpen hit .305 with seven saves in 1985 for MSU. He was a teammate to Will Clark, Rafael Palmeiro, and Jeff Brantley on that '85 team that played in the CWS.
Why did he select Arkansas? Are they really good or really good recruiters?