Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Panthers '09
How will they look in 2009? losing 12 seniors to empty their roster almost

Bad year for PHS or will the underclassmen step up?

IMO they will start with some struggles but finish out just fine
The beginning of a severe fall has begun in the Pikeville program and I'm not sure anyone can fix it.

The Pikeville program has enjoyed the fruits of the Little league program for years and it has pumped talent into the program.

However, the youth program is at the worst, overall, I have seen, EVER.

Soccer, basketball, swimming, golf, video games...they have all hurt youth baseball...but the biggest reason I have seen is just a lack of coaching and interest in the youth program.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:The Pikeville program has enjoyed the fruits of the Little league program for years and it has pumped talent into the program.

Soccer, basketball, swimming, golf, video games...they have all hurt youth baseball...but the biggest reason I have seen is just a lack of coaching and interest in the youth program.

IMO...what has hurt baseball county wide was the consolidation of the county/city programs into one Cal Ripkin/Babe Ruth league. I know the county teams prepared all season to come compete against Pikeville to move on in the tournaments and Pikeville did not want to beaten so everyone worked harder. Once the consolidation happened, the competition lessened and the league has suffered. When my son left the Johns Creek League, we had five teams, I know Bevins had four or five teams. Phelps had a program and I'm sure there were others in the county. Now, from what I hear (my son is too old to play now) county wide we can't even field four good solid teams. Baseball in the whole area has suffered as a result!
I agree, the feeder systems havesuffered tremendously not only in Pike Co., but also Floyd and the Paintsville LL. It just seems like kids do not want to participate in America's past time any more...also, as long as politics and unknowledgeable parents have their way with coaching positions then the systems are going to deteriorate even more.

As for Pikeville next season, they have a few freshman that have the oppertunity to contribute to the team. Gavin Miller, Randy Maynard, Reese Ward and even Jared Tackett could see some playng time...but I don't see a Regional title next year for the Panthers and maybe not even the next two seasons.
The seniors on this team were a good group of players and a fine group of kids, and nothing against any of them, but I believe the best part of this team was the underclassmen.

Add a healthy Luke Huffman to Steven Layne, Patrick Keene and Layne Cecil & you have a pretty good High School rotation. I know I left someone else out.

Not knowing what Lawrence returns other than Chandler, I don't think many teams will have a better top part of the lineup better than Daniel Harmon, Patrick Keene, Clark Keene & McDonald. The Ratliff kid can play & some of the new guys will need to step up their game.

If the young Pikeville College guys (Collins, McCoy & Gump) return, and coach lets them, they will bring a lot of energy to the field.

Next years team WILL be in the semi finals of the region, and with a little luck will go further. Don't count the Panthers out yet!!!!!!
Need pitching in the worst way. An average rotation will do just what it is called and be average. They need dominating pitching that they have been missing. Huffman has the best chance to be that if he can get all of his pitches under control, and maybe a transfer to pitch would help. Offensively they should be pretty good. The defense needs to take infield everyday until next season though, you cannot continue to make the errors they make and be successful.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:The beginning of a severe fall has begun in the Pikeville program and I'm not sure anyone can fix it.

The Pikeville program has enjoyed the fruits of the Little league program for years and it has pumped talent into the program.

Amen
IRISH4 Wrote:I agree, the feeder systems havesuffered tremendously not only in Pike Co., but also Floyd and the Paintsville LL. It just seems like kids do not want to participate in America's past time any more...also, as long as politics and unknowledgeable parents have their way with coaching positions then the systems are going to deteriorate even more.

As for Pikeville next season, they have a few freshman that have the oppertunity to contribute to the team. Gavin Miller, Randy Maynard, Reese Ward and even Jared Tackett could see some playng time...but I don't see a Regional title next year for the Panthers and maybe not even the next two seasons.

didnt a couple of those boys transfer schools?
Regardless of underclassmen or how many seniors you have it all comes down to off-season work. The reason Lawrence County went to the state finals last year, and the reason they will always be competitive year in year out is because of the work ethic of that program. There may be a couple more in the 15th that work had as well, but for the most part it is made up of coaches and players who do not touch a glove or bat until February 15th, and there is no way you can be successful anymore with that type of program. I know Pikeville works in the off-season, but when you have different coaches, coaching the same kids, and telling them different things, then it is impossible to have stability. I personally think that is all Pikeville needs.
Until you get an indoor practice facility for baseball players in the winter months, it wont change. You cant wait till march to start playing.

*Edited by BGR Staff for spelling/grammar. Please use correct spelling and grammar the next time you post.*
sportsman Wrote:Until you get an indoor practice facility for baseball players in the winter months, it wont change. You cant wait till march to start playing.

*Edited by BGR Staff for spelling/grammar. Please use correct spelling and grammar the next time you post.*

Thank you someone understands what it takes.
sportsman Wrote:Until you get an indoor practice facility for baseball players in the winter months, it wont change. You cant wait till march to start playing.

that is true but as we all know, Pikeville has always been a football school, and always will be a football school. Therefore all the money goes to Academics, the building, salarys, and the football team. IMO i def. dont see the baseball team getting an indoor facility. Unless football gets one and they work around schedules
Indoor batting and bullpen November 3rd