Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marc Shepherd Leaves Prestonsburg
Well, here is my input on the whole situation.

I have no clue who this Marc Shepherd fellow is. I'm sure if I seen him, I would know who he is, but to hear the name I am clueless.

In my opinion, we have had too many Shepherds running this team. Russell, a good man, and may God rest his soul, was simply not aggressive enough to be a coach. Then it got turned over to Bobby Shepherd, who was a good little league coach, but also not cut out for coaching High School. Then here comes Marc Shepherd, whom I assume is related to the other Shepherd boys. Now, Zeth Shepherd has applied for the coaching position. I think Prestonsburg needs to go in a different direction than hiring another Shepherd. Justin Arms was a good player and I think he would be a great coach at Prestonsburg. I've also heard Randy Tincher's name thrown around some. Randy and I have known each other for a little while and he is very knowledgeable when it comes to baseball. I know he ran the rec leagues at Archer Park for a couple of years. He had a son that played for Prestonsburg that could also sit on the bench with Randy and was a good baseball player in high school. I personally would pick Randy with the help of Cory to lead Prestonsburg. Naturally, my pick doesn't mean anything around here though.

As far as playing sports at Prestonsburg, everyone knows that the DeRossett's run Prestonsburg High School. When weightlifting is considered a class for the football players, then you know you have your way with the school board. Now, other schools may have weightlifting as a class as well, but I haven't heard of any. Football is the reason no other sport will ever be worth a darn again at Prestonsburg. When basketball season is in full swing, they have to wait until the football team is finished playing before they join the team. When basketball has summer camps, football players only attend when it doesn't interfere with their football schedule. Same thing goes for baseball. While basketball season is going on, the football players are still in the weightroom everyday preparing for the upcoming football season. While I think it is good to have weightlifting during basketball season to strengthen up, I also think it affects your shot if you're involved in a heavy workout program.

Until Prestonsburg High School decides that their are other sports at the school besides football, then Prestonsburg will never be a true threat to win in any sport. And to be quite honest, as much focus is on the football team, you would think they would at least be a little better than what they are. When you spend 365 days a year preparing for football season, and to have an "all world coach", you would think a state tournament appearance would be a regular occurrence instead of appearing once every 10 years. But hey, what do I know?

I hope that Tincher comes in and turns the baseball program around, and I also hope Jack Pack shows what he is made of and turns the basketball program around.
BCF4L Wrote:I hope that Tincher comes in and turns the baseball program around,.

But how long is he going to be there? His son Cameron will be a senior and other then that Randy isn't the youngest guy in the world. I mean he is by no means an old guy but why not bring in a young guy that can make the baseball team his FULL-TIME JOB and is going to stick around for an extended amount of time? I mean I know Randy very well and he supports Prestonsburg Athletics, but how interested do you think he'll be in baseball after his son graduates?
I think if the administration at PHS is interested in building a legit baseball PROGRAM and not just something to do in the spring then Justin Arms is the way to go. I've talked to Mr. Arms on several occasions on the prospects of him coming to Pburg and he has talked to me about how he would implement a weight and conditioning program in the fall for baseball players that weren't playing football.

And BCF4L I understand exactly what you are talking about with Prestonsburg being a football school, it is and it always will be. But which athletes put in the most time? The football players do. The point you make about the weight class at the school is nobody's fault but the coaches of those respective sports. Granted football players are the only ones in there, but nobody is stopping basketball players or baseball players from getting in that class. I'm not saying that Coach Derossett doesn't dictate a lot of activity that goes on up there because I know he does, but nobody is stopping the non-football players from lifting and running in the summer and fall and having a conditioning program of their own. But that is really a whole separate thread in itself.
gish Wrote:But how long is he going to be there? His son Cameron will be a senior and other then that Randy isn't the youngest guy in the world. I mean he is by no means an old guy but why not bring in a young guy that can make the baseball team his FULL-TIME JOB and is going to stick around for an extended amount of time? I mean I know Randy very well and he supports Prestonsburg Athletics, but how interested do you think he'll be in baseball after his son graduates?
I think if the administration at PHS is interested in building a legit baseball PROGRAM and not just something to do in the spring then Justin Arms is the way to go. I've talked to Mr. Arms on several occasions on the prospects of him coming to Pburg and he has talked to me about how he would implement a weight and conditioning program in the fall for baseball players that weren't playing football.

And BCF4L I understand exactly what you are talking about with Prestonsburg being a football school, it is and it always will be. But which athletes put in the most time? The football players do. The point you make about the weight class at the school is nobody's fault but the coaches of those respective sports. Granted football players are the only ones in there, but nobody is stopping basketball players or baseball players from getting in that class. I'm not saying that Coach Derossett doesn't dictate a lot of activity that goes on up there because I know he does, but nobody is stopping the non-football players from lifting and running in the summer and fall and having a conditioning program of their own. But that is really a whole separate thread in itself.
Has Justin coached anywhere since leaving high school? I haven't spoke to him in a few years and haven't heard his name in quite a while. And as far as weightlifting class goes, I had no idea that anyone else could get in that class. I thought it was just for football players, so that's my fault on that one.
gish Wrote:But how long is he going to be there? His son Cameron will be a senior

Cameron will be a junior this upcoming school year.

BCF4L Wrote:Has Justin coached anywhere since leaving high school?

He coached Pikeville's JV team this past season.
BCF4L Wrote:Has Justin coached anywhere since leaving high school? I haven't spoke to him in a few years and haven't heard his name in quite a while. .

He played baseball at Pikeville until he blew his knee out and was an assistant for Pikeville College and High school last year.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Cameron will be a junior this upcoming school year.

Ok, well thats still only 2 years. And I still doubt that even with Cam being involved that he would have the time to do anything year around.
BCF4L Wrote:Well, here is my input on the whole situation.

I have no clue who this Marc Shepherd fellow is. I'm sure if I seen him, I would know who he is, but to hear the name I am clueless.

In my opinion, we have had too many Shepherds running this team. Russell, a good man, and may God rest his soul, was simply not aggressive enough to be a coach. Then it got turned over to Bobby Shepherd, who was a good little league coach, but also not cut out for coaching High School. Then here comes Marc Shepherd, whom I assume is related to the other Shepherd boys. Now, Zeth Shepherd has applied for the coaching position. I think Prestonsburg needs to go in a different direction than hiring another Shepherd. Justin Arms was a good player and I think he would be a great coach at Prestonsburg. I've also heard Randy Tincher's name thrown around some. Randy and I have known each other for a little while and he is very knowledgeable when it comes to baseball. I know he ran the rec leagues at Archer Park for a couple of years. He had a son that played for Prestonsburg that could also sit on the bench with Randy and was a good baseball player in high school. I personally would pick Randy with the help of Cory to lead Prestonsburg. Naturally, my pick doesn't mean anything around here though.

As far as playing sports at Prestonsburg, everyone knows that the DeRossett's run Prestonsburg High School. When weightlifting is considered a class for the football players, then you know you have your way with the school board. Now, other schools may have weightlifting as a class as well, but I haven't heard of any. Football is the reason no other sport will ever be worth a darn again at Prestonsburg. When basketball season is in full swing, they have to wait until the football team is finished playing before they join the team. When basketball has summer camps, football players only attend when it doesn't interfere with their football schedule. Same thing goes for baseball. While basketball season is going on, the football players are still in the weightroom everyday preparing for the upcoming football season. While I think it is good to have weightlifting during basketball season to strengthen up, I also think it affects your shot if you're involved in a heavy workout program.

Until Prestonsburg High School decides that their are other sports at the school besides football, then Prestonsburg will never be a true threat to win in any sport. And to be quite honest, as much focus is on the football team, you would think they would at least be a little better than what they are. When you spend 365 days a year preparing for football season, and to have an "all world coach", you would think a state tournament appearance would be a regular occurrence instead of appearing once every 10 years. But hey, what do I know?

I hope that Tincher comes in and turns the baseball program around, and I also hope Jack Pack shows what he is made of and turns the basketball program around.

LCC has it as a class also.
In my opinion Marc Shepherd did the Prestonsburg baseball program wrong. Yes he is a good person but he done the town of prestonsburg wrong. he came in on fire and ready to take over the baseball program but left us hanging. and for what??Probably to go back to JC.
gish Wrote:He played baseball at Pikeville until he blew his knee out and was an assistant for Pikeville College and High school last year.
Wow, very impressive for such a young person. I would have no problems seeing him as coach either. He is very young and has plenty of time left in the coaching ranks. The only thing that concerns me is he is from Paintsville and we all know the rivalry between the two schools. How would playing Paintsville affect his coaching against them? I know he liked Prestonsburg because he was friends with many of us from P-burg, but given Paintsville is his alma matter, how would that affect his coaching?
BCF4L Wrote:Wow, very impressive for such a young person. I would have no problems seeing him as coach either. He is very young and has plenty of time left in the coaching ranks. The only thing that concerns me is he is from Paintsville and we all know the rivalry between the two schools. How would playing Paintsville affect his coaching against them? I know he liked Prestonsburg because he was friends with many of us from P-burg, but given Paintsville is his alma matter, how would that affect his coaching?

None whatsoever. Justin is a true professional.He faced Paintsville numerous times last year in the Junior High and High School ranks. He has NO interest in Paintsville now and I'm sure would have no problem building a program in Prestonsburg to rival the one right down 23.
gish Wrote:None whatsoever. Justin is a true professional.He faced Paintsville numerous times last year in the Junior High and High School ranks. He has NO interest in Paintsville now and I'm sure would have no problem building a program in Prestonsburg to rival the one right down 23.
Then I have no problem in signing him up.