Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Bulldog at heart
Here is a good story about Tim Hayes and Coach Keeton out of the ADI!!

LOUISA — When Tim Hayes was a freshman at Lawrence County, a senior teammate was just about to infringe upon the life of college baseball.

Pitcher Steve Blevins had signed with the University of Cincinnati and Hayes was in awe of the accomplishment.

“I thought that was awesome,” Hayes said. “I just looked up to him and tried to reflect everything he did. I try to do the same thing now that I’m a senior.”

The torch has been passed down to Hayes, who is playing in his final season as a Bulldog before he takes the next step.

A pretty big one at that. Hayes will be a Cardinal next season at the University of Louisville, to which he committed in August 2007.

“I'm going to miss the atmosphere, being a Bulldog and playing for Coach Keeton,” Hayes said.

Keeton, who is also in his last season as a Bulldog, has won more than 500 games in 25 years of coaching. In fact, Keeton coached Hayes’ father, Tim, to a regional championship in 1986.

At season’s end, Keeton will not only say “goodbye” to Hayes, but all of his players.

“You hate to let relationships go with any kid,” Keeton said. “This is my last year and I hate to let all of them go.”

Don’t count on the relationship between Keeton and Hayes taking any setbacks though. The two have been close for several years now.

“I knew back in little league days that (Tim) was going to be a pretty good baseball player,” Keeton reminisced. “I got to be around him quite a bit as he grew up.”

Hayes’ father and Keeton’s wife are first cousins. Hayes looks up to Keeton, not only as a coach, but as a role model as well.

“Playing for Coach Keeton has been the most rewarding thing in my career,” Hayes said. “He’s been a very big influence in my life and on my future. If it wasn’t for him or (assistant coach Travis Feltner), I wouldn’t be going to Louisville.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...14252.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Timmy is one of the best all around kids I've ever coached and I've coached over 10 years in football.
I played in the state playoffs 20 years ago in little league under Coach Keeton. That tells you how long he's been having success as a coach.
Lawrence County has been known as a football school in the past (struggling as of late but as good as anybody in Eastern KY in the 90's). The baseball program has always kind of flown under the radar. It seems like baseball wins around 20 games or more almost every year even vs good competition. There has been a lot of really good teams and players at LC in the past.
Timmy is right up there with the best catchers in LC history and there have been some great ones. Ironically his dad was on the team with David Wheeler who was drafted as a catcher by the Reds.