Poll: Should they quit making 4-wheelers?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
12.20%
No
87.80%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should 4-Wheelers be Banned?
After all these kids getting killed by 4-wheelers, should they ban them or raise the age limit. I know its more the parents fault than the kids since they buy them but they have to do something about all this.

Its easy for me to say, I dont have one or need to use one. I just know when I have kids, I wont buy them one.
RavenBoy Wrote:After all these kids getting killed by 4-wheelers, should they ban them or raise the age limit. I know its more the parents fault than the kids since they buy them but they have to do something about all this.

Its easy for me to say, I dont have one or need to use one. I just know when I have kids, I wont buy them one.

You could use the same argument with cars. cause i know when i was 16 i was ready 2 be let out alone with rolling hunk of metal
I'm in between. I kinda think we should, but then I kinda think we shouldn't ban them.
You should have to have your drivers license to be able to ride them IMO.

If we can't trust a kid with a car until they are 16 then why an ATV?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It's just like a gun. It isn't the machine killing the people. It's the people in control of the machine killing people. If you read the stories about people getting killed on these things, 99% of them will say that helmets were not worn. My kids have been riding since they were 8 years old and knock on wood and heaven forbid that anything should happen. But, even if they are just in the yard beside the house, they wear their helmets and an adult is in the viewing area. When we go on rides. They wear helmets, chest protectors, boots and gloves. People just need to use more common sense when riding. To me, if you are for banning ATV, well.....you're prolly one of these....(I won't say), that is for banning guns in America.
I dont think they should be banned because alot of farmers and ranch owners out west depend on them to do their work. Ive been riding since I was 10 years old and while Ive had my share of scrapes because of ATVs. It wasnt their fault it was mine for putting them in bad situations. Hindsight being 20/20
I think you should be at least driving age before you get on one.
OffTheHook Wrote:It's just like a gun. It isn't the machine killing the people. It's the people in control of the machine killing people. If you read the stories about people getting killed on these things, 99% of them will say that helmets were not worn. My kids have been riding since they were 8 years old and knock on wood and heaven forbid that anything should happen. But, even if they are just in the yard beside the house, they wear their helmets and an adult is in the viewing area. When we go on rides. They wear helmets, chest protectors, boots and gloves. People just need to use more common sense when riding. To me, if you are for banning ATV, well.....you're prolly one of these....(I won't say), that is for banning guns in America.
Its just like I heard a comedian say once. "Everytime someone dies in this country we try to pass a law to stop it from ever happening again". Just to add to your point if I may about the ones who get killed on ATVs. Of the adults who get killed on them 99% of the time its one or 2 things that gets them killed.
A. they werent wearing their helemet or
B. Alcohol or drugs were involved
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Its just like I heard a comedian say once. "Everytime someone dies in this country we try to pass a law to stop it from ever happening again". Just to add to your point if I may about the ones who get killed on ATVs. Of the adults who get killed on them 99% of the time its one or 2 things that gets them killed.
A. they werent wearing their helemet or
B. Alcohol or drugs were involved

:Thumbs: :partyhard :beerwez:Confusedmoke: Cool :Thumbs:

You are right.
Would a helment help, cause most of the deaths happen by the 4wheeler falling back on kids upper body?
That is some high numbers. If kids would only ride them right. Im glad I never had one, its untelling if I would still be here.
Most people are switching to dirtbikes cause you can get away from them in a wreck. Rather than 4-wheelers rolling on top of you

I personally think their tons of fun. so my vote is "NO" (keep making them)
2 bad those Gator cost so much, I would rather have a Gator than a 4-wheeler.
This is kind of a tough situation for me to decide on. I love riding 4-wheelers, but they're is definitely a safety issue that needs to be addressed seriously.

it's my belief that most accidents occur from someone taking the 4 wheeler beyond it's limits. The idea of having a drivers license to ride them seems to be a start in the right direction.

Ive lost 3 friends in the last 5 years to 4-wheeler accidents. A young student at Knott Central just died recently also, I didn't know him, but my sister did, she's taking it pretty hard.
alot of these riders have there licenses. It seems to me most kids that are affected the most is ages 15-19. It would be nearly impossible to keep kids off them unless they ban it all together. I dont see that happening though.
Banning of ATVs will never happen. It generates too much of the economy. I did hear something the other day about a law being passed that made it illeagal for someone under the age of 16 to operate an ATV. If caught, then the parent(s) would be in trouble.

I work as an ATV salesman, and if anyone comes in and tells me they are buying one for someone under the ATV age limit, I can't sell to them. We lose a lot of sells from this. People get mad, I'll say this 90cc ATV is for riders 12 and over, the response I get is well my son in 8. Then I'm sorry well I've got some dirtbikes for him, but now I can't sell you this. Honda sends in mystery shoppers to help, if we sell to them, its a huge fine.

Another reason I don't think it should be banned: I started on my first dirtbike when I was 5, then as I got older, I started riding dads ATVs more. When I got my license, I felt like I could control my vehicle better, I already had driving expierience. I really think it better prepared me for when I got behind the wheel.

So overall I think maybe they should tighten up the laws, but as far as an ATV ban goes, no way, nor do I think it will ever happen. They are used for too much work and hunting besides lesure activities.
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
They are banned at my house. I have two teens who saw one of my best friends nearly lose everything he owns due to a 4-wheeler accident where he became disabled and had no disability insurance. They are dangerous. My buddy wasn't drinking but lots of people ride them while drinking and that adds to the danger even more. I'm not big on outlawing things like this but I am for everyone using their own judgement. My judgement just says people in my household are better off without them. It's up to you to use your judgement.
BC75 Wrote:Banning of ATVs will never happen. It generates too much of the economy. I did hear something the other day about a law being passed that made it illeagal for someone under the age of 16 to operate an ATV. If caught, then the parent(s) would be in trouble.

I work as an ATV salesman, and if anyone comes in and tells me they are buying one for someone under the ATV age limit, I can't sell to them. We lose a lot of sells from this. People get mad, I'll say this 90cc ATV is for riders 12 and over, the response I get is well my son in 8. Then I'm sorry well I've got some dirtbikes for him, but now I can't sell you this. Honda sends in mystery shoppers to help, if we sell to them, its a huge fine.

Another reason I don't think it should be banned: I started on my first dirtbike when I was 5, then as I got older, I started riding dads ATVs more. When I got my license, I felt like I could control my vehicle better, I already had driving expierience. I really think it better prepared me for when I got behind the wheel.

So overall I think maybe they should tighten up the laws, but as far as an ATV ban goes, no way, nor do I think it will ever happen. They are used for too much work and hunting besides lesure activities.

I agree, with you. There is nothing no more relaxing after a week at work than riding back in the strip jobs around here on the weekends, other than 18 holes of golf. But that is a different thread...LOL. Besides I use my ATV for a lot of work around the house, and for hunting also. I don't know how we made it all of the years we hunted without an ATV. It is just like driving a vehicle, if you use common sense and pay attention to what you are doing, then they can be a safe and very enjoyable ride. But they wont be banned, but the laws could be tighter on them.

Also I have a question are the Rhino's, Mule's and Ranger's any safer than 4-wheelers. Also for the Honda salesman...are honda planning on making an ATV like the Yamaha Rhino any time soon.
I would say most of us talking about this topic is over the age 18, so we should be able to ride them safe. Now if were talking about a 16 year old, its a little different.
I think they should raise it to Age 21.
RavenBoy Wrote:I would say most of us talking about this topic is over the age 18, so we should be able to ride them safe. Now if were talking about a 16 year old, its a little different.
I think they should raise it to Age 21.

That is reasonable...I agree with you.
I think they are very dangerous and many people use them in ways that aren't very smart. That said, I am opposed to banning them because I think that adults can make up their own mind to ride them or not. For that matter, I am fine if there is no law requiring helmets in riders 18 and up. They're adults, it's up to them.

Now with kids, it's a different story. I have seen too many stories of young children being paralyzed or even killed while on ATV's. I agree that the minimum age to drive one should be at least 16 (same as a car), but 18 would be fine too. I also think that anyone under the age of 18 should be required by law to wear protection including a helmet whenever they are on an ATV, even if they're just riding around the backyard with their parents. If anyone is caught alowing their kids to break these laws, give them a hefty fine and impound the ATV. If these laws were enacted and enforced, it would save a lot of kids' lives.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If you ride it right then you more than likely safe if you ride it like an idoit and do stupid things then your going to wreck.
The only problem is if they raise the age to 18 or 21, 16 year olds will still ride them. I mean some of these parents just dont care. Drinking age is 21 but alot of 15-20 year olds drink alot.
The only thing that makes me angry is people saying "oh fourwheelers are good for nothing, they're dangerous, they'll kill you". Yes, I'm not saying they can't but you have to do someone to get that to happen. A fourwheeler just won't buck you off like a horse and run over you. It's said to people when they buy one, wear a helmet, and they should take a class. Simple as that. If your not mature to have a fourwheeler or are going to act stupid you don't need one anyway.

And, just ride a dirtbike, way more safe and fun Big Grin
Wuzza Bear Wrote:The only thing that makes me angry is people saying "oh fourwheelers are good for nothing, they're dangerous, they'll kill you". Yes, I'm not saying they can't but you have to do someone to get that to happen. A fourwheeler just won't buck you off like a horse and run over you. It's said to people when they buy one, wear a helmet, and they should take a class. Simple as that. If your not mature to have a fourwheeler or are going to act stupid you don't need one anyway.

And, just ride a dirtbike, way more safe and fun Big Grin

The problem is immature people don't always know that they're being immature.

And some parents, like you said, don't care about age limitations and will do whatever their child wants.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Groundhog1965 Wrote:They are banned at my house. I have two teens who saw one of my best friends nearly lose everything he owns due to a 4-wheeler accident where he became disabled and had no disability insurance. They are dangerous. My buddy wasn't drinking but lots of people ride them while drinking and that adds to the danger even more. I'm not big on outlawing things like this but I am for everyone using their own judgement. My judgement just says people in my household are better off without them. It's up to you to use your judgement.

This isn't the ATV's fault. People need to know their and the ATV's limitations. People get hurt when they try things that they nor the ATV can handle.

ATV's are a WONDERFUL thing when ridden the right way and in the right places.

99.9% of all ATV accidents that have happened. Has happened due to Operator Error, i.e.....experience, judgement or just plain stupid. And a vast majority of the injuries could have been reduced if the proper saftey equipment were used.
Groundhog1965 Wrote:They are banned at my house. I have two teens who saw one of my best friends nearly lose everything he owns due to a 4-wheeler accident where he became disabled and had no disability insurance. They are dangerous. My buddy wasn't drinking but [COLOR="Black"]lots of people ride them while drinking and that adds to the danger even more. I'm not big on outlawing things like this but I am for everyone using their own judgement. My judgement just says people in my household are better off without them. It's up to you to use your judgement.[/COLOR]

This is very true, but don't people drive their cars while they are drinking too...It don't matter if they made a Sherman Tank for people to drive, some idiot will still do something stupid like drink and drive and gt killed. Just like OFFTHEHOOK said, it is not the ATV's fault.
mcolem00 Wrote:I agree, with you. There is nothing no more relaxing after a week at work than riding back in the strip jobs around here on the weekends, other than 18 holes of golf. But that is a different thread...LOL. Besides I use my ATV for a lot of work around the house, and for hunting also. I don't know how we made it all of the years we hunted without an ATV. It is just like driving a vehicle, if you use common sense and pay attention to what you are doing, then they can be a safe and very enjoyable ride. But they wont be banned, but the laws could be tighter on them.

Also I have a question are the Rhino's, Mule's and Ranger's any safer than 4-wheelers. Also for the Honda salesman...are honda planning on making an ATV like the Yamaha Rhino any time soon.

As far as safer, I wouldn't know what to say, I mean your in a cab and they do have seatbelts. But its just like anything else, if you ride right, you'll be fine. But with the bigger size, they are easier turned over. But with riding with people on utv's, they have really suprised me with the places they will go. As long as the trail is wide enough they will go.

And yes, Honda is coming out with a UTV. We should have it next month, it is the 2009 680cc displacement Big Red. You can check it out at www.honda.com
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
Mo-peds all the way
the problem is the ppl who get hurt on them are normally doing something stupid such as seeing who can climb the hill higher or faster, or jumping them when they are not something that needs to be flying through the air with some one who can barely control it when they are on the ground. I think watching the X-Games and such has made many kids fell invisible on them. Not blaming it on TV but it is true. They are fine ppl just need to be smarter and not so DUMB!!!!!!! Such as one of my soccer players the other day after practice he began ridding WHEELIES on the asphalt, I told him if he wrecked and got hurt I would run his @$$ off. Well the next day he was doing jumps and he lost control and it landed on top of him knocking him out. When he came to practice a few days later after calling me and telling me what he did. I made him run all practice and I told him he would learn to listen and not to be so stupid.