Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Re-Alignment???
Is the 15th Region realignment going to happen???

I've heard talk that it will not pass.
I don't know if it will or not, I'm not privy to all the "classified" discussions.

If the realignment is going to involve snatching an extra team from another region and ending up with four 4-team districts (not including Piarist), then I'm all for it. Big Grin

If it involves nonsense like a 6-team "super-district", only 3 districts in the region, and 10 teams in the tournament (like I've been reading on here), then man, I sure hope not. Sad
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I doubt anything will happen.
Wrong...something will happen....15th region Policy Board meeting Monday. If no agreement is worked out in region the KHSAA will make the decisions. If that happens, look for teams to change districts....possibly even regions.
I hope things stay the way they are theres no need for change.
To be decided Tuesday in Lexington...6 team district in Pike--4 in region...5 in JC, SC, Paintsville, MC, LC--3 in region...4 from Floyd--2 in region. Piarist not fielding boys team.
Tin Cup Wrote:To be decided Tuesday in Lexington...6 team district in Pike--4 in region...5 in JC, SC, Paintsville, MC, LC--3 in region...4 from Floyd--2 in region. Piarist not fielding boys team.

From what I am hearing is that this is a done deal. The thing that is a problem right now is that some people from Pikeville want 2 of the 4 teams that go to the region to go in as winners, and I don't think they are going to let that happen.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:From what I am hearing is that this is a done deal. The thing that is a problem right now is that some people from Pikeville want 2 of the 4 teams that go to the region to go in as winners, and I don't think they are going to let that happen.
How would the regionals work out then? Two teams getting a bye?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:How would the regionals work out then? Two teams getting a bye?

You would have a 6 team district with 4 teams being sent to the regional tournament, and one of thos being a winner. You would have a 5 team district with 3 teams being sent with one winner. Then you would have a 4 team district with 2 teams being sent and one winner. With out Piarist you have 9 teams going to the regional tournament. From my understanding there will be play-in games that will determine who the winners will play. I may have mixed up some of it, but the whole thing is just a little difficult for anybody to understand. It's nonsense if you ask me, but that's how it goes. What would have been even better would have been to move Jenkins into the 15th region and have 4 districts with 4 teams in each, and have an 8 team regional tournament, but that would've made too much sense I guess, who knows?:confused:
who would be in the 58th district
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:From what I am hearing is that this is a done deal. .
From what I am hearing is that it may not be a done deal

stay tuned.
I don't understand why they just don't move Magoffin County to the 58th District. Then move Betsy Layne to the district with Pike Central, Belfry, and Phelps. They could then move Jenkins to the district with Shelby Valley, Pikeville, and East Ridge.

Letcher Central, Knott Central, Cordia, and June Buchanan would then round out the district in the 14th.

The biggest drawback to this is whether JBS has athletics in the future. It also places Jenkins in the 15th along with other US 23 teams. I like having teams in the same county in the same district as well, but until there is another consolidation, then you have to do what's necessary.

Another option would be moving Knott Central to the 15th instead of Jenkins, but I just feel that KCC is a traditional 14th Region team whereas, Jenkins could make the transition a little easier.

Just my thoughts though. I really don't like the idea that's being passed around of a 9 team regional though.
BaseballMan Wrote:I don't understand why they just don't move Magoffin County to the 58th District. Then move Betsy Layne to the district with Pike Central, Belfry, and Phelps. They could then move Jenkins to the district with Shelby Valley, Pikeville, and East Ridge.

Letcher Central, Knott Central, Cordia, and June Buchanan would then round out the district in the 14th.

The biggest drawback to this is whether JBS has athletics in the future. It also places Jenkins in the 15th along with other US 23 teams. I like having teams in the same county in the same district as well, but until there is another consolidation, then you have to do what's necessary.

Another option would be moving Knott Central to the 15th instead of Jenkins, but I just feel that KCC is a traditional 14th Region team whereas, Jenkins could make the transition a little easier.

Just my thoughts though. I really don't like the idea that's being passed around of a 9 team regional though.

Yea that's what I was getting at when I said move Jenkins in. That would be the only logical place you could put them.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You would have a 6 team district with 4 teams being sent to the regional tournament, and one of thos being a winner. You would have a 5 team district with 3 teams being sent with one winner. Then you would have a 4 team district with 2 teams being sent and one winner. With out Piarist you have 9 teams going to the regional tournament. From my understanding there will be play-in games that will determine who the winners will play. I may have mixed up some of it, but the whole thing is just a little difficult for anybody to understand. It's nonsense if you ask me, but that's how it goes. What would have been even better would have been to move Jenkins into the 15th region and have 4 districts with 4 teams in each, and have an 8 team regional tournament, but that would've made too much sense I guess, who knows?:confused:

I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that I hope you are. If that is truly how the regional ends up, then the people in charge need to, well, not be in charge anymore.

So let's say that there are 3 winners and 6 other teams advancing to region. I assume the 6 others would play each other first, with the three winners of that round advancing to play the district champs in the next round. But then what? You would have three winners in that round, and there is no way to proceed from there in a manner that is fair or makes sense at all. One of those three would have to get a bye to the finals while the other two played, giving the team with a bye an obvious advantage.

There is really no way to make the tourney work with anything other than 8 teams. I hope that if the 15th region leadership suggest something like this, that the KHSAA will veto this nonsense.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BaseballMan Wrote:I don't understand why they just don't move Magoffin County to the 58th District. Then move Betsy Layne to the district with Pike Central, Belfry, and Phelps. They could then move Jenkins to the district with Shelby Valley, Pikeville, and East Ridge.

It's a little more complicated that you are making it appear in your post. What isn't being thought about here is, it would be breaking up a several year "good" rivalry of Paintsville, Magoffin and Johnson Central. I personally would hate to see this split.
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that I hope you are. If that is truly how the regional ends up, then the people in charge need to, well, not be in charge anymore.

So let's say that there are 3 winners and 6 other teams advancing to region. I assume the 6 others would play each other first, with the three winners of that round advancing to play the district champs in the next round. But then what? You would have three winners in that round, and there is no way to proceed from there in a manner that is fair or makes sense at all. One of those three would have to get a bye to the finals while the other two played, giving the team with a bye an obvious advantage.

There is really no way to make the tourney work with anything other than 8 teams. I hope that if the 15th region leadership suggest something like this, that the KHSAA will veto this nonsense.

I understand and I am on your side, but that is how it was explained to me. It would be 10 teams in the regional tournament whenever Piarist fields a team. I could be wrong in how the play-in games will be worked, but I was told there would only be two play-in games, not three. Like you said though none of it makes any sense.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I understand and I am on your side, but that is how it was explained to me. It would be 10 teams in the regional tournament whenever Piarist fields a team. I could be wrong in how the play-in games will be worked, but I was told there would only be two play-in games, not three. Like you said though none of it makes any sense.

Exactly, I agree that none of it makes any sense at all. And that is why it is so hard for me to believe the KHSAA would actually sign off on all this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Exactly, I agree that none of it makes any sense at all. And that is why it is so hard for me to believe the KHSAA would actually sign off on all this.

Well from what I have heard they already have.....Just for basketball this year.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Well from what I have heard they already have.....Just for basketball this year.

I just read that on the other thread, and I still find it hard to believe. Has the KHSAA actually agreed to this nonsense, or has it just been approved by the 15th region folks?

I still can't see looking at the statewide alignment next year, and saying "Hmm, well there's the 57th, 58th, 59th, and...holy crap! Where's the 60th district? Someone stole the 60th district!!!" Smile

The rest of Kentucky will notice this atrocity, and the 15th region will be the laughingstock of the entire state.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I just read that on the other thread, and I still find it hard to believe. Has the KHSAA actually agreed to this nonsense, or has it just been approved by the 15th region folks?

I still can't see looking at the statewide alignment next year, and saying "Hmm, well there's the 57th, 58th, 59th, and...holy crap! Where's the 60th district? Someone stole the 60th district!!!" Smile

The rest of Kentucky will notice this atrocity, and the 15th region will be the laughingstock of the entire state.

KHSAA's idea and yes they passed it...........
NEXT Wrote:KHSAA's idea and yes they passed it...........

So what happens to the 60th district? It just...disappears?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I guess so, but this could be a lot of fun for the kids and schools. We may even develope more rivals as one team earns the right to be Pike County champions for regular season and tournment. Lets have fun............
BlueSky Wrote:I guess so, but this could be a lot of fun for the kids and schools. We may even develope more rivals as one team earns the right to be Pike County champions for regular season and tournment. Lets have fun............

I suppose an all-Pike County district tournament would be kinda fun, but it's how this fits into the bigger picture that bothers me.

No matter how you slice it, this really screws up the alignment for the 15th regional tournament. 9 or 10 teams in the tourney? Only 3 district winners? Play-in games? It all seems very convoluted, and I don't see how this will treat everyone fairly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlueSky Wrote:I guess so, but this could be a lot of fun for the kids and schools. We may even develope more rivals as one team earns the right to be Pike County champions for regular season and tournment. Lets have fun............

I agree with this. All Pike County teams in the same district will be cool. The details can be worked out for the regional tourney, which will always be cool, no matter what format is used.
jetpilot Wrote:I agree with this. All Pike County teams in the same district will be cool. The details can be worked out for the regional tourney, which will always be cool, no matter what format is used.

KHSAA Board of Control approved on Monday and will make final approval on Wednesday. ......It will pass.
You are right. I heard it passed today. Just wondering what will these teams do with their schedules.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You would have a 6 team district with 4 teams being sent to the regional tournament, and one of thos being a winner. You would have a 5 team district with 3 teams being sent with one winner. Then you would have a 4 team district with 2 teams being sent and one winner. With out Piarist you have 9 teams going to the regional tournament. From my understanding there will be play-in games that will determine who the winners will play. I may have mixed up some of it, but the whole thing is just a little difficult for anybody to understand. It's nonsense if you ask me, but that's how it goes. What would have been even better would have been to move Jenkins into the 15th region and have 4 districts with 4 teams in each, and have an 8 team regional tournament, but that would've made too much sense I guess, who knows?:confused:

The 57th has 5 teams, not 4.
HawksRule Wrote:I hope things stay the way they are theres no need for change.

No need for change...4 out of 6 Pike County Schools get to the Regional Tournament. 2 out of 5 get in from 57th? 2 out of 5/6 from Floyd Co.? How is that fair at all? Especially when revenue sharing ends up 50% Regional Tournament Profit going to Pike Co. I know Pike is a larger district but come on...4 out of 6 compared to 4 out of 11-12...Change is definitely needed!!
BigBlueNation Wrote:No need for change...4 out of 6 Pike County Schools get to the Regional Tournament. 2 out of 5 get in from 57th? 2 out of 5/6 from Floyd Co.? How is that fair at all? Especially when revenue sharing ends up 50% Regional Tournament Profit going to Pike Co. I know Pike is a larger district but come on...4 out of 6 compared to 4 out of 11-12...Change is definitely needed!!

I totally agree; I'm not sure if what they're proposing is the right change, but a definite change is needed.
The 57th and 58th will get 3 teams each...not 2...the profit sharing goes to the schools to help support their programs...NOT to the Central Office....and...EVERY school in the region gets a share of the profits...not just those participating....the other 2 districts get 3 out of 5 in...unless my math is wrong, that is 1 one more than they have ever gotten in...and...the 4th team in the 59th will have to play in...they are not automatically in the regional tourney...the play-in games will be a "mini tourney" as well...these games will be fun too....Big Blue...you have gotten some bad info or you have misinterpreted the info available..