Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clark Stepp?
RavenBoy Wrote:Not if your good enough though. Plus employers would look at you more if you had a degree at UK than ALC.
Well, this thread is about Clark Stepp. I really dont think it could be considered bashing if I was to say after college, he will not go to the NBA. For the second part, they may if they was a UK graduate. Smaller colleges are harder to get a degree from than the major ones. Employers are more worried about the degree and if it is from a real college. I will admit that a degree from UK would be worth more than one from University Online Institute or any other online school.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Well, this thread is about Clark Stepp. I really dont think it could be considered bashing if I was to say after college, he will not go to the NBA. For the second part, they may if they was a UK graduate. Smaller colleges are harder to get a degree from than the major ones. Employers are more worried about the degree and if it is from a real college. I will admit that a degree from UK would be worth more than one from University Online Institute or any other online school.
Naww your not bashing. I dont think Stepp will make it. I did hear Jody Demlin say that Scotty Hopson will go to the NBA next year. Smile but anyways i agree with ya.
I still havent heard anything new on Stepp though.
The Joker Wrote:Is this not that same situation as Slone? They both are in the same situation.
Yes it is, but this is a thread about Stepp. Slone is a great player as well. Both would have better opportunity's at other schools to get playing time and then maybe transfer somewhere bigger.
I am so tired of hearing about the Stepp's. I feel sorry for Clint wherever he goes. His name will be the title of a thread at least 50 times from now till he graduates.
HazzBeen Wrote:His name will be the title of a thread at least 50 times from now till he graduates.
No way, Clint isnt as good as Clark. Noone cares. So I take it nobody knows anything about Clark?:confused:
RavenBoy Wrote:Not if your good enough though. Plus employers would look at you more if you had a degree at UK than ALC.

you are crazy if you think employers would overlook a ALC degree. That is a private institute and is a harder school than UK. Schools like Pikeville College is another very hard school that if people saw you got your degree from there, then you would almost be a shoe in. You better rethink your statement.
crazyfan4 Wrote:you are crazy if you think employers would overlook a ALC degree. That is a private institute and is a harder school than UK. Schools like Pikeville College is another very hard school that if people saw you got your degree from there, then you would almost be a shoe in. You better rethink your statement.

Depends on what your major is and if the employer is in-state or out-of-state.

But that's beside the point, let's move this thing back on topic.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think that a college education is a college education idc if he signs with Pikeville, or Kentucky atlest the boy can say he got a good education thats my opinion
I really dont care where he plays i am just glad that he has a chance to decide. How many other players in the mountains would LOVE to have this problem. GOOK LUCK KID
basketballfan000 Wrote:I really dont care where he plays i am just glad that he has a chance to decide. How many other players in the mountains would LOVE to have this problem. GOOK LUCK KID
They are especially looking for someone who has a record 1000 assists. That means he had to pass the ball, and the person who caught it had to score. That is amazing!! Good Luck kid, lets see you do that in college.
It is mind boggling for me to believe Clark Stepp has 1000 assists. If he played from 7th grade on and averaged 32 games a season, it would take an average of 5.3 assists a game for all six years.
The Joker Wrote:Is this not that same situation as Slone? They both are in the same situation.
First of all Landon Slone was asked by Coach G to play for him as a preffered walk-on and then a basketball scholarship. He feels that Landon is very capable to play on the SECC level. So you my need to understand he can play on this level. As for Clark I don't know. Landon is not in the same situation as Clark.!!!!!!!
codeblue Wrote:It is mind boggling for me to believe Clark Stepp has 1000 assists. If he played from 7th grade on and averaged 32 games a season, it would take an average of 5.3 assists a game for all six years.
Well since he had over 3000 pts. he must have done a whole lot of shooting. I think he did share with his bro. Good job and good luck.
Basketball Mommy Wrote:First of all Landon Slone was asked by Coach G to play for him as a preffered walk-on and then a basketball scholarship. He feels that Landon is very capable to play on the SECC level. So you my need to understand he can play on this level. As for Clark I don't know. Landon is not in the same situation as Clark.!!!!!!!
I am sure Landon is not in the same situation as Clark. Clark had 2 uncles coaching him. He got all the shots he wanted. I don't think he is a preferred walk on. Landon is a awesome player and I am sure he worked for it. Good Luck
fly on the wall Wrote:I am sure Landon is not in the same situation as Clark. Clark had 2 uncles coaching him. He got all the shots he wanted. I don't think he is a preferred walk on. Landon is a awesome player and I am sure he worked for it. Good Luck

The difference between a preferred walk on and someone who just walks on is this. A preferred walk on is given a spot on the roster as a walk on without trying out for the team. A walk on has to go through try-outs and the cut process. Nothing more, nothing less.
There will probably be 15 or so players that try out for walk on status. Out of all the walk on's that come through a program there are very, very few of them that receive a basketball scollarship. There aren't to many Cameron Mills' out there walking on.
kyrifle Wrote:The difference between a preferred walk on and someone who just walks on is this. A preferred walk on is given a spot on the roster as a walk on without trying out for the team. A walk on has to go through try-outs and the cut process. Nothing more, nothing less.
There will probably be 15 or so players that try out for walk on status. Out of all the walk on's that come through a program there are very, very few of them that receive a basketball scollarship. There aren't to many Cameron Mills' out there walking on.
Cameron Mills had a distinct advantage over all of the other walkons that ever played at UK. His dad played for Rupp and is an influential member in the UK circle.

And as far as money in the second year that is totally discretional by the head coach. Perhaps the said player does not perform at an acceptable level after a redshirt season. He may in fact not recieve anything and could posiibly not be a member of the team the next year. People seem to think that even if a player recieves scholarship money in their first year, that they are guaranteed it for 4 full years. That is totally wrong. A scholarship is for one year, and one year only and is renewable only by the approval of the head coach. There is nothing guaranteed.
Basketball Mommy Wrote:First of all Landon Slone was asked by Coach G to play for him as a preffered walk-on and then a basketball scholarship. He feels that Landon is very capable to play on the SECC level. So you my need to understand he can play on this level. As for Clark I don't know. Landon is not in the same situation as Clark.!!!!!!!
A preffered walk-on doesn't mean that you are going to get scholarship money. You simply are just on the team. The fact that four preffered walk-ons were given out is pretty much just something to keep in state kids happy. I personally don't know why anyone would walk-on to one of the elite colleges in the nation when they didn't even receive any offers from mid-major D-1 schools. That is just me.

im not trying to be mean or anything but if you think slone is gonna get a scholarship at uk ur being misinformed he might stay on the team for 4 years but if bcg is taking us to the next level we cant waste a scholly on slone sorry
Norm Stewert Wrote:im not trying to be mean or anything but if you think slone is gonna get a scholarship at uk ur being misinformed he might stay on the team for 4 years but if bcg is taking us to the next level we cant waste a scholly on slone sorry
:Thumbs: Good Post. Landon Slone's are dime a dozen. Billy G can always bring in someone better than him every single year at his position. When he is a senior there will be a schoarship freshman who is better and one of the top players in the country.
Clark plans on visiting Liberty, Austin Peay, Cincinnati, and Western Kentucky all next week... Then from there he will make a decision... Uk has offered a walk on position but Clark feels as if he'd rather take his chances somewhere he is promised PT
bsm2008 Wrote:Clark plans on visiting Liberty, Austin Peay, Cincinnati, and Western Kentucky all next week... Then from there he will make a decision... Uk has offered a walk on position but Clark feels as if he'd rather take his chances somewhere he is promised PT

This is true people.
crazyfan4 Wrote:you are crazy if you think employers would overlook a ALC degree. That is a private institute and is a harder school than UK. Schools like Pikeville College is another very hard school that if people saw you got your degree from there, then you would almost be a shoe in. You better rethink your statement.
Your right, ALC is alot harder than UK. Smile I went to ALC and I couldnt get in UK, but your still right, I wonder if ALC is harder than Yale?

bsm2008 Wrote:Clark plans on visiting Liberty, Austin Peay, Cincinnati, and Western Kentucky all next week... Then from there he will make a decision... Uk has offered a walk on position but Clark feels as if he'd rather take his chances somewhere he is promised PT
Who cares about playing time at WKU when you can be on UK team.
RavenBoy Wrote:Your right, ALC is alot harder than UK. Smile I went to ALC and I couldnt get in UK, but your still right, I wonder if ALC is harder than Yale?

Who cares about playing time at WKU when you can be on UK team.
That explains a lot of what all of us have been wondering about for a long time.Smile

Maybe because WKU was a far better team than UK this year. I'll bet some of those UK players would have loved to be in WKU's shoes , playing in the Sweet 16, rather than getting beat out in the opening round.

Any athlete that has the first ounce of grit in their crawl would actually rather be playing somewhere than to sit and watch everyone else play for 4 years. I personally dont think much of an athlete that has no more competetive spirit in them, than to just be happy wearing a jersey somewhere. That is not a true athlete.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That explains a lot of what all of us have been wondering about for a long time.Smile

Maybe because WKU was a far better team than UK this year. I'll bet some of those UK players would have loved to be in WKU's shoes , playing in the Sweet 16, rather than getting beat out in the opening round.

Any athlete that has the first ounce of grit in their crawl would actually rather be playing somewhere than to sit and watch everyone else play for 4 years. I personally dont think much of an athlete that has no more competetive spirit in them, than to just be happy wearing a jersey somewhere. That is not a true athlete.
If WKU would have played UK this year UK would have won by 15 easy. WKU will NEVER make it that far ever again. If he could play at WKU and would sit that bench at UK that just tells me that UK is better since he would sit the bench.

I would rather be in Kansas shoes, not WKU. Tubby got you thinking like that didnt he?
RavenBoy Wrote:If WKU would have played UK this year UK would have won by 15 easy. WKU will NEVER make it that far ever again. If he could play at WKU and would sit that bench at UK that just tells me that UK is better since he would sit the bench.

I would rather be in Kansas shoes, not WKU. Tubby got you thinking like that didnt he?

Fact is, since they did get that far evidently they were better. I guess if Kentucky played Gardner-Webb they would win by 15 easy , wouldn't they? Smile

Perhaps they could set a game up wiyth maybe, er say....San Diego State. Yeah, that's it, we'll beat em by 15.Big Grin

Who said he could play either place, Personally I dont think he can , as well as I dont think that UK's walk on will ever play either. If all of Kentucky's walkons this year would have been that good , Kentucky would have given them money this year. Evidently you have never been involved in the recruiting process. It's just a way for Kentucky to get a bunch of guys in there to see what they may turn out to be, without any financial exposure. If they work out fine, if they dont , they tell em to hit the road. If you think it's any different than that you are very naive.

As far as Kansas's shoes , they dont have to rely on getting a bunch of walkons . They dont necessarily have to recruit ,right now they pick and choose.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Fact is, since they did get that far evidently they were better. I guess if Kentucky played Gardner-Webb they would win by 15 easy , wouldn't they? Smile

Perhaps they could set a game up wiyth maybe, er say....San Diego State. Yeah, that's it, we'll beat em by 15.Big Grin

Who said he could play either place, Personally I dont think he can , as well as I dont think that UK's walk on will ever play either. If all of Kentucky's walkons this year would have been that good , Kentucky would have given them money this year. Evidently you have never been involved in the recruiting process. It's just a way for Kentucky to get a bunch of guys in there to see what they may turn out to be, without any financial exposure. If they work out fine, if they dont , they tell em to hit the road. If you think it's any different than that you are very naive.

As far as Kansas's shoes , they dont have to rely on getting a bunch of walkons . They dont necessarily have to recruit ,right now they pick and choose.
UK isnt relying on Walk-On's, I said Stepp might walk-on just like Slone did. Every College in the world has walk-ons. Rolleyes
RavenBoy Wrote:UK isnt relying on Walk-On's, I said Stepp might walk-on just like Slone did. Every College in the world has walk-ons. Rolleyes
Then why fool with them?Rolleyes

Since when have you ever seen Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, or any other of the elite programs get as many walkons as UK. Maybe one every now and then, but never like this. Like I said they dont have to recruit walkons, they pick and choose amongst the really good players. Whether or not you want to believe it ,Kentucky is really struggling right now to get the premier recruits. However, I believe they will in time. Then they will say bye, bye to the walkons, and never blink an eye.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Then why fool with them?Rolleyes

Since when have you ever seen Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, or any other of the elite programs get as many walkons as UK. Maybe one every now and then, but never like this. Like I said they dont have to recruit walkons, they pick and choose amongst the really good players. Whether or not you want to believe it ,Kentucky is really struggling right now to get the premier recruits. However, I believe they will in time. Then they will say bye, bye to the walkons, and never blink an eye.
All walk-ons are good for is to help the starters with practice and maybe get to play a few mins. Im all for walk-ons if they're Eastern Ky kids.
Every school has walk on's. NC, Duke, Kansas all have several walk on's. These schools need bodies to practice. If you have ever had the opportunity to watch a practice of one of the elite schools it would shock you to see how walk on's are treated. Walk on's are food for the elite player's to showcase their athletic skills. Walk on's really can't compete with these elite player's these school's have on scollarship.
Clark Stepp, PG
Pippa Passes, KY
June Buchanan School
Scouts Grade: 68
Position Rank: 157

Clark Stepp attends UK-UF game
Senior guard Clark Stepp went on an official visit to Kentucky on Sunday to watch the Wildcats take on Florida, the Louisville Courier-Journal reports. The 6-foot-4 Stepp recently became the first player in state history to surpass 3,000 points and 1,000 assists in his career. Other schools interested in the Kentucky native are Mississippi State, Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky and Morehead State.

I found this on ESPN today. I know its old I just thought it was funny the Scouts ranked him a 68 out of 100.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruitin...oolId%3d96