Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark to 60th district?
I heard from a teacher at SCHS yesterday that the KHSAA was changing some of the districts around in the 15th region, he said the officials at SC were pretty upset about going to 60th, but it was pretty much set just waiting for the KHSAA to finalize it. If this is done how will it affect the Cards season next year??
havent heard anything about SC coming to 60th but heard east ridge is a possibility
In the baseball forum there is a thread showing the new proposed alignment. It also shows Jenkins moving into the district with ER, SV and Pikeville.
3 of the proposals has SC moving into the 60th and Jenkins moving into the 59th.
I don't know how it will end up, but I do know that the 59th needs another team and the 57th is definitely overcrowded with 5 very good teams! Would hate to see SC leave though, but with Rt. 3, it isn't a big travel issue.
Wouldn't it make more sense to put Betsy Layne in the 59th district and move a team from the 57th to the 58th
You could move either SC or MC to the 58th! Obviously Paintsville or JC could move, but how would you choose which one, and with the rivalry, it would make more sense to move SC or MC. Both schools are close to Floyd County with direct roads leading to Prestonsburg. But moving BL into the 59th isn't as obvious as the 60th. Maybe they could move Pikeville to the 59th and BL to the 60th?
Pikeville is already in the 59th
They want as little movement as possible.

Sheldon Clark is closer to Belfry/Phelps/Pike Central than the others.

Jenkins is closer to ER/Pikeville/SV.
KHSAA just made a big mess in the last realignment SOMETHING has got to be done I am just not sure what. Someone does need to be moved to the 60th and 59th. Jenkins to the 59th and SC to the 60th does look like the best opportunity. However, if you leave Piarist in the 60th it will be a "5" team district if you really want to call it a 5 team. IMO I would keep Jenkins in the 14th region, move Pike Central to the 59th and SC to the 60th. I just miss the 59th district rivalry that Central had with Pikeville and Valley.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:KHSAA just made a big mess in the last realignment SOMETHING has got to be done I am just not sure what. Someone does need to be moved to the 60th and 59th. Jenkins to the 59th and SC to the 60th does look like the best opportunity. However, if you leave Piarist in the 60th it will be a "5" team district if you really want to call it a 5 team. IMO I would keep Jenkins in the 14th region, move Pike Central to the 59th and SC to the 60th. I just miss the 59th district rivalry that Central had with Pikeville and Valley.

Word is Piarist will not have a team next year.
NEXT Wrote:Word is Piarist will not have a team next year.
See I had heard that but there has not been a def. decision yes which is why I said leave them in the 60th. Now if Piarist does not have a team then you would have to leave Central in the 60th. I just wish they would send them back to the 59th it is just not the same being in the 60th.
This sounds like a good idea to me.. it would mix up the 60th. and give it a little more balance... SC would be a good fit and Piarist really doesn't need a team i am not trying to be rude but they are just not as big as the schools they have to play causeing them to be at a severe disadvantage... But watever the KHSAA decides i am sure it will work out in the end and everyone will have to get use to the change... But a shake up is needed in the whole 15th.
PHS#1 Wrote:This sounds like a good idea to me.. it would mix up the 60th. and give it a little more balance... SC would be a good fit and Piarist really doesn't need a team i am not trying to be rude but they are just not as big as the schools they have to play causeing them to be at a severe disadvantage... But watever the KHSAA decides i am sure it will work out in the end and everyone will have to get use to the change... But a shake up is needed in the whole 15th.
I am use to the change that we have right now, I just miss the rivalry that Pike Central once had with Valley and Pikeville. I mean you sorta have it with Belfry and Phelps but its not even close to what it was w/ Pikeville and Valley back in the 90s.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I am use to the change that we have right now, I just miss the rivalry that Pike Central once had with Valley and Pikeville. I mean you sorta have it with Belfry and Phelps but its not even close to what it was w/ Pikeville and Valley back in the 90s.

you do have a point there those games were always intense...

it will all work out thou
heard that too about Betsy lane going to 59th
i have thissame rumor for some time now and what would make better sense than moving sc to the 60th is to move Lawrence County back into the 16th region . The khsaa will not dinker with the Floyd County district so why not move Magoffin County to the 60th since there have been rumors of them wanting to leave the 57th.:devilflam
Moving Magoffin to the 60th would create some travel issues....90 minute trip one way to Belfry from Salyersville...even longer trip to Phelps...there are several proposals that will be discussed at the next policy board meeting...SC doesn't want to come to the 60th....they were invited before but declined...NOTHING has been mandated from the KHSAA...
I noticed that some posts have noted that several of the proposals involve Jenkins moving to the 15th region, but make no mention of Letcher Central. My question is, would they really move one without the other? This would effectively split the two teams in Letcher county between not just two different districts, but two different regions.

Not saying it won't happen, just that it is very surprising to me.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Here are the proposals that I've heard of...

57th
Paintsville
Magoffin County
Johnson Central
Lawrence County

58th
Allen Central
Betsy Layne
Piarist School
Prestonsburg
South Floyd

59th
Pikeville
East Ridge
Shelby Valley
Jenkins

60st
Belfry
Sheldon Clark
Pike Central
Phelps

ANOTHER ONE...

57th
Johnson Central
Paintsville
Lawrence County
Sheldon Clark

58th
Allen Central
Magoffin County
Prestonsburg
South Floyd

59th
Pikeville
East Ridge
Betsy Layne
Shelby Valley

60st
Belfry
Pike Central
Piarist School
Phelps

Those are just what I've heard.
blackcat_student Wrote:Here are the proposals that I've heard of...

57th
Paintsville
Magoffin County
Johnson Central
Lawrence County

58th
Allen Central
Betsy Layne
Piarist School
Prestonsburg
South Floyd

59th
Pikeville
East Ridge
Shelby Valley
Jenkins

60st
Belfry
Sheldon Clark
Pike Central
Phelps

ANOTHER ONE...

57th
Johnson Central
Paintsville
Lawrence County
Sheldon Clark

58th
Allen Central
Magoffin County
Prestonsburg
South Floyd

59th
Pikeville
East Ridge
Betsy Layne
Shelby Valley

60st
Belfry
Pike Central
Piarist School
Phelps

Those are just what I've heard.

This second one looks pretty balanced except for the 60th which would really only be a 3 team district.
What would be wrong with this:

57th
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Magoffin Co.
Lawrence Co.

58th
Allen Central
Prestonsburg
South Floyd
Piarist

59th
Pikeville
East Ridge
Shelby Valley
Pike Co. Central

60th
Belfry
Phelps
Sheldon Clark
Betsy Layne

Unless you bring in another team from another Region, this seems fair to me.
EKY Sportster Wrote:What would be wrong with this:

57th
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Magoffin Co.
Lawrence Co.

58th
Allen Central
Prestonsburg
South Floyd
Piarist

59th
Pikeville
East Ridge
Shelby Valley
Pike Co. Central

60th
Belfry
Phelps
Sheldon Clark
Betsy Layne

that one looks good but to save on traveling due to gas they would not place Betsy Layne in the 60th and Pike Central in the 59th. Also to save on moving to many teams. Flip those two and that would work out GREAT!
Not to bash the David School nor Piarist but when they decided to have teams it really screwed up the 15th region.
The Zen Master Wrote:i have thissame rumor for some time now and what would make better sense than moving sc to the 60th is to move Lawrence County back into the 16th region . The khsaa will not dinker with the Floyd County district so why not move Magoffin County to the 60th since there have been rumors of them wanting to leave the 57th.:devilflam

Lawrence in the 16th was a bad idea from the jump. They were originally in the 15th before moving to the 16th. They are just in a bad spot, because its 25 minutes to Paintsville and 25 minutes to Ashland. They way the KHSAA figured it was just more convient for them to be in the 15th, but they are a "no man's land" and it's just whichever one they choose to be in.
EKY Sportster Wrote:This second one looks pretty balanced except for the 60th which would really only be a 3 team district.

57th
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Magoffin Co.
Lawrence Co.

58th
Allen Central
Prestonsburg
South Floyd
Piarist

59th
Pikeville
East Ridge
Shelby Valley
Pike Co. Central

60th
Belfry
Phelps
Sheldon Clark
Betsy Layne

The second alignment still seems to have the same problem as the first one, except that the 58th becomes the "3 team district" instead of the 60th. And I don't think they would move Betsy Layne out of the 58th just to move Piarist in.

Really, if you assume that Piarist may or may not field a team next year, you only have 15 teams for 4 districts, meaning some district is going to only have 3 teams. The only way to rectify this is to steal a team from another region.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

57th
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Magoffin Co.
Lawrence Co.

58th
Allen Central
Prestonsburg
South Floyd
Piarist

59th
Pikeville
East Ridge
Shelby Valley
Pike Co. Central

60th
Belfry
Phelps
Sheldon Clark
Betsy Layne

this sounds awesome to me i realy like this set-up i dought it ever coming to pass but i would love it and th 59th. would be supper competitive... so would the 60th. i really like it
Why not Betsy Layne to the 60th(some of their kids go to Pike Central already) and Jenkins to 59th,Sh Clark to 58th???

Makes sense if you take sentiment out of it.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Why not Betsy Layne to the 60th(some of their kids go to Pike Central already) and Jenkins to 59th,Sh Clark to 58th???

Makes sense if you take sentiment out of it.

Geography.

Pikeville is closer to the 60th schools than BL so why not move them?

KHSAA wants as little of movement as possible because we are in year 2 of contracts for most schools and the more movement, the more problems.
NEXT Wrote:Geography.

Pikeville is closer to the 60th schools than BL so why not move them?

KHSAA wants as little of movement as possible because we are in year 2 of contracts for most schools and the more movement, the more problems.
Just like you said .."Geography"...Then someone would have to drive past Pikeville to play SV, ER, and Jenkins in the 59th.