Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 2008/2009
How many starters return for Valley next season???
Shelby Valley loses Jake Bryant and Jonah Justice. Those shoes will be hard to replace, but Valley does return some major talent. Elijah Justice, Logan Bryant, Curby Tackett, Ashley Hatfield, and Tyler Newsome all return. Also, Taylor Newsome returns after tearing ligaments in his knee early in the season. So all in all, This team could very well feature one of the biggest line-ups in the mountains next season.

Projected Starters:

PG--Elijah Justice
SG--Logan Bryant
SF--Ashley Hatfield
PF--Taylor Newsome
C--Curby Tackett

Or you could take put Tyler Newsome in for Curby Tackett and he play the SF and Ashley move to PF and Taylor move to C.

Cody Varney and a couple of others (Hall kid and another Tackett kid) will also figure into the equation.

Should be a good year for Shelby Valley next year...IF everything goes smoothly.
formerwildcat22 Wrote:Shelby Valley loses Jake Bryant and Jonah Justice. Those shoes will be hard to replace, but Valley does return some major talent. Elijah Justice, Logan Bryant, Curby Tackett, Ashley Hatfield, and Tyler Newsome all return. Also, Taylor Newsome returns after tearing ligaments in his knee early in the season. So all in all, This team could very well feature one of the biggest line-ups in the mountains next season.

Projected Starters:

PG--Elijah Justice
SG--Logan Bryant
SF--Ashley Hatfield
PF--Taylor Newsome
C--Curby Tackett

Or you could take put Tyler Newsome in for Curby Tackett and he play the SF and Ashley move to PF and Taylor move to C.

Cody Varney and a couple of others (Hall kid and another Tackett kid) will also figure into the equation.

Should be a good year for Shelby Valley next year...IF everything goes smoothly.

And if all of em develope a work ethic like Elijah has in the offseason, they could be VERY dangerous against teams down state.
Redneck Wrote:And if all of em develope a work ethic like Elijah has in the offseason, they could be VERY dangerous against teams down state.

That is very true, but I do know that they do indeed work on their game in the offseason. After all, most of them do not have football to worry about. The offseason is the best time to work on your game. Then come November, everyone will be able to notice your improvements.
Well if they do improve, that lineup should be hard to stop for any school east of Lexington. And even then......they should be able to hold their own! But they need to bust their butts this summer!!
EKY Sportster Wrote:Well if they do improve, that lineup should be hard to stop for any school east of Lexington. And even then......they should be able to hold their own! But they need to bust their butts this summer!!

I agree. I have always said that basketball players are made in the summer. My uncle is good buddies with a guy from Valley, that guy said Elijah runs with ankle weights on all the time, works out everyday, etc. That's why he is so quick and can jump pretty darn good for a kid his size. If the rest of em follow his lead in the offseason, I can see them bein a contender for a state championship when they are seniors.
Already talking bout next year lol....valley will be unbeatable in the 15th next year....and will be ranked top 15 in the state before its all over...
The passing and post up ability of Jacob Bryant will be very difficult to replace, as will be the versatility and toughness of Jonah Justice...

As FW22 said earlier, there should be 7 players returning that have seen significant playing time. I'm not sure there are any other players that will progress enough to see significant playing time with this group.

That being said, I think that for Shelby Valley's team to continue it's growth on a statewide level there will need to be development of a few players in particular. Ashley Hatfield has a very nice game, but greatly needs to develop his physical strength and ballhandling. Curby Tackett needs to continue to gain confidence and be more aggressive. I think Tyler Newsome has the ability to pick up some of the offensive slack next year, but needs to work on his defense and ballhandling. It would also be nice to see Logan Bryant regain confidence in his outside shooting. His defense creates such havoc for opposing teams, but I think he will be needed to provide more offense next year. And hopefully Taylor Newsome will come back the way he left off this year...
The King Wrote:The passing and post up ability of Jacob Bryant will be very difficult to replace, as will be the versatility and toughness of Jonah Justice...

As FW22 said earlier, there should be 7 players returning that have seen significant playing time. I'm not sure there are any other players that will progress enough to see significant playing time with this group.

That being said, I think that for Shelby Valley's team to continue it's growth on a statewide level there will need to be development of a few players in particular. Ashley Hatfield has a very nice game, but greatly needs to develop his physical strength and ballhandling. Curby Tackett needs to continue to gain confidence and be more aggressive. I think Tyler Newsome has the ability to pick up some of the offensive slack next year, but needs to work on his defense and ballhandling. It would also be nice to see Logan Bryant regain confidence in his outside shooting. His defense creates such havoc for opposing teams, but I think he will be needed to provide more offense next year. And hopefully Taylor Newsome will come back the way he left off this year...

Good post. I know I'm glad there weren't any teams that played such tight defense back when I played the way Valley does now. I know they would have had me in fits haha.'
They will be unstoppable next season
Sv will be very solid and I think will be the overwhelming favorite to win the 15th next season. I think they will be more mature and getting Newsome back will make a huge difference..I think they really missed him when he went out this season and I hope he comes back strong next season...
uk96 Wrote:Sv will be very solid and I think will be the overwhelming favorite to win the 15th next season. I think they will be more mature and getting Newsome back will make a huge difference..I think they really missed him when he went out this season and I hope he comes back strong next season...

I agree, I think the loss of Newsome is what eventually kept SV from going back to Rupp this season. Despite playing in Ashley Hatfield's shadow, he had gotten off to a very good start this season and was the main reason Valley was able to knock off Louisville Male. His contributions were sorely missed, and while Valley was still able to beat most area teams without him, his absence was simply too much to overcome against a team like Paintsville.

Here's hoping he makes a full recovery and comes back ready to blow the doors off next year...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I've heard Taylor Newsome and Elisha are both playing football, anyone know anything about this?
Should be a great team next year
They will be the team to beat thats for sure. Returning a lot of starters plus the Newsome kid coming back from the knee injury will be huge for the Wildcats.
With the heart breaking loss to Paintsville this year, i believe that next year's SV team will be on a mission to reclaim the 15th region title and winning some games down state.