Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay Co- 13th Referee Scandal
Emails from Spurlock of Clay Co. implicates 14th region refs in gambling.
UKisN1 Wrote:Emails from Spurlock of Clay Co. implicates 14th region refs in gambling.
The gambling issue with officials is centered in Hazard. For years, for a fee of $50 you could pick the Sweet 16 field. The person who picks the most Sweet 16 participants won the pot. You can feel out as many cards as you like for $50 per card. The pot is usually between $50,000 and $80,000. The gambling ring was busted at least once by the IRS. The winner was charged not with gambling but failure to pay taxes on his winnings. The year they were busted several officials, mostly from the 14th region, but several from as far away as the 1st region were participating. If an official stands to possibly win $80,000, do you think it would influence a few calls in a regional tournament game?

The 13th and 14th region officials have been kind of shady for decades. Some coaches get to choose their officals for big games while others have no influence what so ever. Why do you think it is so hard to get good teams from other regions to come to the 13th and 14th regions to play?

Also, about 15 years ago a few officials, from the 13th and 14th regions, were caught running a gambling book out of the Height Regency during the Sweet 16. These officials were busted by the Lexington City Police. They were booked and charged and plead guilty. The KHSAA let them to continue to officate the following year.
Unreal.
rojas Wrote:The gambling issue with officials is centered in Hazard. For years, for a fee of $50 you could pick the Sweet 16 field. The person who picks the most Sweet 16 participants won the pot. You can feel out as many cards as you like for $50 per card. The pot is usually between $50,000 and $80,000. The gambling ring was busted at least once by the IRS. The winner was charged not with gambling but failure to pay taxes on his winnings. The year they were busted several officials, mostly from the 14th region, but several from as far away as the 1st region were participating. If an official stands to possibly win $80,000, do you think it would influence a few calls in a regional tournament game?

The 13th and 14th region officials have been kind of shady for decades. Some coaches get to choose their officals for big games while others have no influence what so ever. Why do you think it is so hard to get good teams from other regions to come to the 13th and 14th regions to play?

Also, about 15 years ago a few officials, from the 13th and 14th regions, were caught running a gambling book out of the Height Regency during the Sweet 16. These officials were busted by the Lexington City Police. They were booked and charged and plead guilty. The KHSAA let them to continue to officate the following year.
Well that explains the 15th Region Championship in 2003. 14th Region officials called that game.
Seems as if the NBA had trouble with a ref problem or two lately. I don't think it is uncommon for coaches to try and get the best refs for their games in the District and Regional tournament but it would be a bit surprising to pick them for certain regular season games. If I was a coach and preferred a person for regular games then it becomes a problem for the assigning secretary to address. Scratching a referee for games in the middle of the season also can be asked and either denied or granted if problems exist with the referee and a coach by the secretary. I would rather have a 6ft 11in center that some of the schools go out and get than have a white haired referee that eases up and down the court missing calls and letting some of the younger kids smacked around . As far as Kevin being a bad coach I would have to check some of his credentials and I know he has a state championship in the All A and a District or two. He probably is a sore loser which alot of coaches are but I don't think of him as scum. I know he works everyday and provides for his wife and kids and I would venture to say he is in Church this morning while I sit here on a computer. Everybody makes mistakes and bad judgements from time to time. Being corrected and going forward might possibly be the right thing for all concerned. I remember Pitino always seemed to have the same fella calling his UK games back in the 90's and he may have had an input in that( Pitino that is and not Kevin ). The assigning secretary didn't have to put him on the games.
I am for anyone but Clay Co. They walked out of a camp at Hazard this summer becuse they were getting beat. Other than this incident our camp went very well. Win or lose we all have to show class and be excellent role models for the kids.
If this is true then the question needs to ask what will the KHSAA do about this this since they do very little of anything else, excpet rule in favor of the private schools. The hint among the refs from the 13th has been around for many years but being in the 15th region we have some of the worse refs known to man. Certain coaches get the crucial calls time after time so it makes me wonder what wonder might going on in this region. Good refs are hard to find no matter where you know in this state but if this 13th region scandal proves to be true then no one will ever trust a ref anywhere again.Cool
The Zen Master Wrote:If this is true then the question needs to ask what will the KHSAA do about this this since they do very little of anything else, excpet rule in favor of the private schools. The hint among the refs from the 13th has been around for many years but being in the 15th region we have some of the worse refs known to man. Certain coaches get the crucial calls time after time so it makes me wonder what wonder might going on in this region. Good refs are hard to find no matter where you know in this state but if this 13th region scandal proves to be true then no one will ever trust a ref anywhere again.Cool

I do agree with your statment about the 13th Region officials being underhanded - it's been going around for years, the rumors and such, much like in the NBA before something was made public to address it.

What I don't agree with is the latter part of the your statement about trusting the officials. A lot can be said about whether or not the officials are punished/removed. Personally, any official caught up in betting scandals/fixes needs to be banished. It's a shame to make "that" kind of money off kids. The KHSAA needs to have some backbone and clean house on this and other issues immediately.

If the officials are publically named (they should be JMO) and banished, that will go a long way in fans/coaches trusting officials again.
rojas Wrote:The gambling issue with officials is centered in Hazard. For years, for a fee of $50 you could pick the Sweet 16 field. The person who picks the most Sweet 16 participants won the pot. You can feel out as many cards as you like for $50 per card. The pot is usually between $50,000 and $80,000. The gambling ring was busted at least once by the IRS. The winner was charged not with gambling but failure to pay taxes on his winnings. The year they were busted several officials, mostly from the 14th region, but several from as far away as the 1st region were participating. If an official stands to possibly win $80,000, do you think it would influence a few calls in a regional tournament game?

Wow that's really impressive stuff from the KHSAA, allowing a gambling ring among their own sanctioned referees and not disciplining them. What if that would have been players or coaches? I bet the KHSAA would habe been on them quickly.
KYGal Wrote:I bet the KHSAA would habe been on them quickly.

You bet? Smile
I'm speechless.!?
mojo40 Wrote:Spurlock is a scum, sore loser, and even worse coach. Everywhere he goes controversy follows. Hopefully Clay fires him for this.

Totally disagree. Spurlock is a great coach and a great person. Being competitive does not make you a bad person. Why would he get fired??? Other coaches in other regions ask for specific refs throughout the year. This is quite common.
Speechless on this!
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Totally disagree. Spurlock is a great coach and a great person. Being competitive does not make you a bad person. Why would he get fired??? Other coaches in other regions ask for specific refs throughout the year. This is quite common.
I don't know how common it is to request certain officials for your biggest games. I do know that it is wrong for any coach to choose which game officials he/she wants. If it is indeed common, it doesn't mean its right. I have always admired how Spurlocks' teams played. In my opinion, the biggest fault lies with the assigning secretary that permits some coaches (or a coach's father in one case) to choose the officials for any game. Its wrong as wrong can be. How do you think the North Laurel and Jackson County head coaches felt when they recently learned Spurlock had been permitted to choose the officials for these two games. Both coaches already felt like they had been cheated in these games even before learning this. There is no way to justify this.
I can't believe that anyone is really surprised.
rojas Wrote:I don't know how common it is to request certain officials for your biggest games. I do know that it is wrong for any coach to choose which game officials he/she wants. If it is indeed common, it doesn't mean its right. I have always admired how Spurlocks' teams played. In my opinion, the biggest fault lies with the assigning secretary that permits some coaches (or a coach's father in one case) to choose the officials for any game. Its wrong as wrong can be. How do you think the North Laurel and Jackson County head coaches felt when they recently learned Spurlock had been permitted to choose the officials for these two games. Both coaches already felt like they had been cheated in these games even before learning this. There is no way to justify this.
Easy now big guy. I don't know if you are completely in the blind or what, but when they contacted other coaches most said I do the same thing. North Laurel has Tim Kelley, Tim Millet, and Danny Griffin in over half there games. Don't believe me go to wazoosports.com and check them out. I spoke with the Jackson County AD about the situation Friday night and his response was as follows, "Heck me and Keith have sit here in the office many days, and got the officials we wanted switched on our games." Spurlock isn't the only one. Everybody does it. Pineville, Cumberland, Clay, North, South, Corbin, Jackson, Knox, Cumberland, Bell, and B-Ville get the officials they want night in and night out. It comes with the title of being a top tier program in the 13th region.
Hit and Run Wrote:Easy now big guy. I don't know if you are completely in the blind or what, but when they contacted other coaches most said I do the same thing. North Laurel has Tim Kelley, Tim Millet, and Danny Griffin in over half there games. Don't believe me go to wazoosports.com and check them out. I spoke with the Jackson County AD about the situation Friday night and his response was as follows, "Heck me and Keith have sit here in the office many days, and got the officials we wanted switched on our games." Spurlock isn't the only one. Everybody does it. Pineville, Cumberland, Clay, North, South, Corbin, Jackson, Knox, Cumberland, Bell, and B-Ville get the officials they want night in and night out. It comes with the title of being a top tier program in the 13th region.
Again, it doesn't matter if this is a common practice or not, its still wrong. As far as a "top tier" team in the 13th region being able to have more influence over which officiating crew they get, a "top tier" program should have no more influence than a 'lower tier" team. Actually, other than their two scratches they should have no influence.

Also, if you read the article you will find that the AD and both basketball coaches at North Laurel were not at all happy that the Clay County coaching staffs could choose the game officials for the Clay County- North Laurel games.
rojas Wrote:Again, it doesn't matter if this is a common practice or not, its still wrong. As far as a "top tier" team in the 13th region being able to have more influence over which officiating crew they get, a "top tier" program should have no more influence than a 'lower tier" team. Actually, other than their two scratches they should have no influence.

Also, if you read the article you will find that the AD and both basketball coaches at North Laurel were not at all happy that the Clay County coaching staffs could choose the game officials for the Clay County- North Laurel games.
They were the only 2 that really objected it. The reasons why aren't very hard to find. Conway realizes that he can't beat Clay County, hasn't since he's been at North, and he wants to play the mental game. Durham on the other hand is in with some of the wrong officials in the region and will do anything to please them. The scratch list has been expnded to 5 I think. Don't hold me to that, but I know you get more than 2. The change on the North game was made because the girls scratced the official who was on the game. This does nothing but add the fuel to the fire for tomorrow night. The Tigers come out hot tomorrow night and beat the Jags suprisingly easy.
Hit and Run Wrote:They were the only 2 that really objected it. The reasons why aren't very hard to find. Conway realizes that he can't beat Clay County, hasn't since he's been at North, and he wants to play the mental game. Durham on the other hand is in with some of the wrong officials in the region and will do anything to please them. The scratch list has been expnded to 5 I think. Don't hold me to that, but I know you get more than 2. The change on the North game was made because the girls scratced the official who was on the game. This does nothing but add the fuel to the fire for tomorrow night. The Tigers come out hot tomorrow night and beat the Jags suprisingly easy.
Even if Clay County does win, and even if the game is completly fair, there will now be that shadow of doubt in everyone's mind if Spurlock got to choose the officials again. That's why the assigning secretary should never let ANY coach have influence over his game assignments. It gives the perception of impropriety. And with the history of officials in the 13th and 14th regions, they should avoid any perception of a confict of interest.
rojas Wrote:Even if Clay County does win, and even if the game is completly fair, there will now be that shadow of doubt in everyone's mind if Spurlock got to choose the officials again. That's why the assigning secretary should never let ANY coach have influence over his game assignments. It gives the perception of impropriety. And with the history of officials in the 13th and 14th regions, they should avoid any perception of a confict of interest.
The officials for tomorrow night are a very common face at North Laurel, a very common face at North Laurel, and a guy who has had one Clay County game the whole year, and they Tiger faithful will say he laid it to them in the biggest game of the year.
Does anyone know how this guys private e-mails were made public for a newspaper?
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Does anyone know how this guys private e-mails were made public for a newspaper?
I don't know how the emails were made public. However, one thing that we are warned with at my work place. If you are using workplace equipment or your workplace email address. The emails ARE NOT private. They are owned by the workplace. I don't know if this was the situation or not.
No surprise that coaches ask for ref's they want IMO

No surprise that ref's gamble on the sweet 16 IMO

JMO
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:No surprise that coaches ask for ref's they want IMO

No surprise that ref's gamble on the sweet 16 IMO

JMO

My opinion too. $50K+ pot is pretty high stakes.
Gambling on the games you call is much worse than just plain gambling. Just shouldn't go in, seems like that would definitely be a conflict of interest. Whether or not they would mean to or not, I'm sure one would be leaning towards a team they have picked on their card on the wall instead of another they haven't picked. So I don't see where this would be in any way okay! The refs that don't call in the district, region and state level, have fun and gamble all you want, but if you are calling in these games, you should not be putting cards up or whatever they do in these pools.
I have a little something to add to this fire- about 3-4 yrs. ago in the WYMT tourney- a 15th region team was playng against PCC, having worked in that area I was familiar with some 14th region officials and their cohorts. Before the game began I was sitting in an area with these folks- when the 13th region officials emerged- they were given numbers and names on the 15th region team- for what reason I do not know- but lets just say by halftime- those folks were sitting and their team was down by a surprising number of points. It is very disappointing when these things happen and they happen often- I may take me a camera the next time I'm at the track or the riverboat to give you an idea of how well some people are paid.
I think there are problems everywhere with refs. Also, has the rule about traveling with the ball changed? Every game I have attended this year and I have been to many it seems that walking is not being called. With 3 refs I cant understand how they can miss such obvious walking violations. Has anyone else noticed this??
Redneck Wrote:Well that explains the 15th Region Championship in 2003. 14th Region officials called that game.
Yeah...really!!! I was wondering why Paintsville had not been to Rupp in several years!
And now we know.....the rest of the story.......Good Day!
Isn't gambling on high school basketball ILLEGAL in KY???