Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else get WLJC?
This channel cracks me up every time I pass by it on the TV. Almost ALWAYS, it has some terrible, and I mean terrible gospel or bluegrass band playing. It's not a musical bias that I say these musicians are terrible, it's honestly that they're really bad. They are not good at singing, playing, whatever you want to call it.

I'm not big into gospel or bluegrass, but I appreciate good music. But the acts they have on WLJC, for the most part, are just plain bad. It saddens me that someone is giving such bad musicians such a big forum when there are so many better artists out there. Even in the genre, there are some very good bluegrass/gospel musicians around here, but I rarely see those on WLJC.

Several times I've wanted to just remove the channel from the channel list, but the TV I have right now does not allow me to remove it from the channel list.

Occasionally, I will catch someone or a group who is good, but I can't say the same for most of the groups on this channel. I just don't know who is in charge of programming for that channel and why they aren't proactive about finding better musicians, because they're out there.

I do want to clarify that I'm not bashing anyone who wants to spread their message through music performance. If you want to do that, so be it, but IMO, bad music hurts your cause. Some people who aren't Christians may see this and immediately be turned off by it because it's not good music or not audibly appealing, while a better group may hook the listeners in because they like the music. It's just my opinion that if you want to spread your word, it should be done well, and not give those who aren't Christians any reason to put down the message just because the music is bad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
well, if someone is up there singing gospel and how much they love Christ, someone can't really come out and tell them they suck. I know in church some people get up and you try not to laugh, but still you can't because they're doing it for the Lord and not for anyone else. So I kind of don't mind. Now if they're singing bluegrass and about some old dog, then someone can tell them to sit down.
If it's done in the Lord's name. It's all beautiful in his eyes. :dontthink
Exactly. Thats what I was trying to say but couldn't figure out how to say it
Talk about digging up an old thread, lol. I was searching for the Gospel music thread and found this, I just thought I would bring it to life.

I agree that the musical ability is not good. I am the first person to say make a joyful noise to the Lord, however you are capable. However, when you are talking about an outreach through media that believers and NON-believers alike are going to find, you need to find a quality product.

I have known pastors and song-leaders that were not good by humans ears, that have helped bring people to Christ, however, for television, you need to be easy on the ears because you need to present a product that will help draw non-believers in. I am the first to say that I am not t.v. quality, yet I have been blessed with the opportunity to help lead people to Christ.

Now, if WLJC had all quality programming, it would be very watchable. I have been saying for years that WLJC/TBN, etc... needs to have Christian music videos or put some of the Gaither Homecomings on, or televise some Christian movies like Joseph: King of Dreams or the really good Moses movie, etc...

I understand copyright laws and finances restrict those things sometimes, but you have major Christian artists that are producing videos just to put on Youtube, basically. I am sure for TBN they could get them on.

I know that I rambled but my main idea is that the IDEA of WLJC and TBN are not bad, they just need better programming.
OMG CE, I just read your "Reason" for deleting the above post. I spit my softdrink! Classic!
Stardust Wrote:OMG CE, I just read your "Reason" for deleting the above post. I spit my softdrink! Classic!

I may not agree with the asterisks but after looking at what was written, it deserved an infraction, if one was never given.
The way I see it is that these people are worshiping God and praising him through their music. If you don't like it, change the channel. IMO a lot of the music isn't very good, but enough people must like it because they keep getting donations to stay on the air.
Westside Wrote:The way I see it is that these people are worshiping God and praising him through their music. If you don't like it, change the channel. IMO a lot of the music isn't very good, but enough people must like it because they keep getting donations to stay on the air.

For one, I never knew that WLJC was non-profit. That changes my thinking a little. Also, I don't mean for this to sound negative but it probably will.

The reasons they continue to get enough donations to stay on the air is probably two very big reasons:

1. Low-budget. If you are not trying to raise very much, it will not be as hard to raise the money as if they had a bigger budget with better programming.

2. The people that donate. I'm sure that a lot of the donations are from the people that are on the station. I am sure that if a church felt like God wanted them to remain on t.v. they would find a way to contribute to the station. Why wouldn't you? It would not be grateful and appreciative not to donate back significantly. The station is allowing you to share the Good News of Jesus Christ to a market that you can never do on your own.

I am not saying that every dollar comes from the churches that are represented, but I am willing to guess that at least 60% does. If I am wrong, I am wrong, no offense taken.

I say all of that to conclude that if they took a step of faith and tried some better programming or more programming, God could bless them and their viewers more and more.
The earthly musical quality to a lot of this isn't the greatest.
A lot of it has to do with the society that started WLJC.
WLJC is primarily an old-school gospel station and when you go to a Church like that EVERYONE plays and sings.
Not because they want to be a good singer, but because God has given them a talent (be it little or great) that they feel they need to show.
I play music in Church all the time. I don't usually play Gospel but I've been known to bring it out every so often.
I applaud anyone that gets up and truly tries to give an Offering of Worship to God whether it sounds pleasing to my fleshly ears or not.
However, I do think that WLJC needs to explore other options when it comes to finding musical acts.
There are MANY....I mean MANY Christian bands or artists in the area that sound great but they don't get the invite because they sing songs written post-1960.
zaga_fan Wrote:The earthly musical quality to a lot of this isn't the greatest.
A lot of it has to do with the society that started WLJC.
WLJC is primarily an old-school gospel station and when you go to a Church like that EVERYONE plays and sings.
Not because they want to be a good singer, but because God has given them a talent (be it little or great) that they feel they need to show.
I play music in Church all the time. I don't usually play Gospel but I've been known to bring it out every so often.
I applaud anyone that gets up and truly tries to give an Offering of Worship to God whether it sounds pleasing to my fleshly ears or not.
However, I do think that WLJC needs to explore other options when it comes to finding musical acts.
There are MANY....I mean MANY Christian bands or artists in the area that sound great but they don't get the invite because they sing songs written post-1960.

Wow, Zaga_fan, we agree somewhat! Interesting. Tell me if I am wrong, but we agree that we should all give God our praises, and they all sound good to his ears and that is all that really matters in the long run, and that WLJC needs to look for other options. Right?
LWC Wrote:Wow, Zaga_fan, we agree somewhat! Interesting. Tell me if I am wrong, but we agree that we should all give God our praises, and they all sound good to his ears and that is all that really matters in the long run, and that WLJC needs to look for other options. Right?

Badda-bing, Badda-boom
Why is it interesting that we agree? lol
Doesn't everyone agree with me? :blabbermo
Zaga, I thought everyone disagreed with you, so I just thought i was in the same category. Maybe it is the Lakers fan-Kings fan concept. IDK, Big Grin :lmao:
LWC Wrote:Zaga, I thought everyone disagreed with you, so I just thought i was in the same category. Maybe it is the Lakers fan-Kings fan concept. IDK, Big Grin :lmao:

HAHA
Definitely....
that's not really a legit argument though...
because the Kings are about on the same level Duke is on right now Wink
j/k

I just think when it comes to this stuff you have to look at it with Spiritual eyes and ears.
I know a few people that sing in Church that are absolutely great singers.
They've been doing it for years and never miss a note.
But when they get up their they ramble on between songs, trying to throw a little mini-sermon in the mix that doesn't have anything to do with the service...
Then when you talk to them at lunch afterwards they're going on about how people weren't getting into it and shouting the house down.

I'm just not into that...
I'd 10 to 1 rather have someone get up there and sing their heart out and miss a few notes(not a lot of them lol) but be doing it for the right reason.

I would post all of Matthew 6 on here but I'd rather have everyone get it out and make the connection themselves Wink

Everyone should read it when you get a chance.
It's an excerpt from the greatest Sermon given by the ultimate Preacher.
zaga_fan Wrote:HAHA
Definitely....
that's not really a legit argument though...
because the Kings are about on the same level Duke is on right now Wink
j/k

I just think when it comes to this stuff you have to look at it with Spiritual eyes and ears.
I know a few people that sing in Church that are absolutely great singers.
They've been doing it for years and never miss a note.
But when they get up their they ramble on between songs, trying to throw a little mini-sermon in the mix that doesn't have anything to do with the service...
Then when you talk to them at lunch afterwards they're going on about how people weren't getting into it and shouting the house down.

I'm just not into that...
I'd 10 to 1 rather have someone get up there and sing their heart out and miss a few notes(not a lot of them lol) but be doing it for the right reason.

I would post all of Matthew 6 on here but I'd rather have everyone get it out and make the connection themselves Wink

Everyone should read it when you get a chance.
It's an excerpt from the greatest Sermon given by the ultimate Preacher.

Amen to that!